100% Agave and beach

cruisinaz

It's going to mostly depend on how long your ship is in Costa Maya and what timeyour tour departs and where they drop you off on the return (in the new town of Neuvo Mahahual, old Las Casitas, I believe). Give your selves 10 minutes to get to the old village of Majahual and 15 to return (you'll need to find a cab) and 5-10 to walk back along the long pier. Then at least 1/2 hour at 100% Agave, and that'll be cutting the experience a bit short. And another 1/2 hour to see/walk along the beach/malecon while you're there--one of the reasons for going there.

So, for example, if your ship departs at 4 PM and you need to be back on board by 3:30PM, you'll need to be back from the ruins by 1:30PM, 2 PM at the latest.

While I've been a booster of 100% Agave, from what I understand about the Native Choice tour, it's an experience you want to savor, if you're into the historical/cultural angle. 100% Agave is just a sidebar that doesn't have to be a must do.

So once I've looked at the itineraries, the tour starts an hour after you dock, say 9 a.m. and last 5 hours. We should be back into town maybe by 2, (not sure where we are dropped off, "few blocks away from port") but the ship departs at 5 p.m., so it is possible to get some of it in.

My twins, who are now 20 just remember taking spanish in H.S and studying the ruins, think it would be fun to actually see some. We could always have beach time after lunch :)

Thanks

Went to 100% Agave on Thursday..........incredible!!!

I loved every moment of it! Don Fernando was an incredible host and the food and drinks were just icing on the cake!

My 16 year old son wanted to give Don Fernando a hug cuz he had so much fun and thought the restaurant was the best! (This was even before the drinks ;) )

This is a must do in Costa Maya!

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be in Majahual middle of next week & plan to go toe 100%. Can someone give me a ballpark of what I'll need, cash-wise?

It will be me, my wife, and 2 young sons (7 & 5). We'll likely eat lunch there & have a couple of drinks; the boys won't eat much (maybe just chips/salsa or split a meal & have a couple of sodas).

• 2 weeks later...

We (a party of 5 adults) had lunch at 100% Agave on January 5, 2011 and it was one of the highlights of our trip!! Fernando and his staff were wonderful and so happy to see us. After Fernando informed us of the specials of the day, we opted for an order of nachos and 3 different platters of tacos (fish, chicken and beef), along with a variety of drinks (fruity one was the favorite, but the regular margarita was also very good). One in our group tried the michelada which tasted somewhat like a nice, spicy Bloody Mary. Fernando also served a small complimentary pitcher of tequila for tasting. The food and drinks were terrific! Everyone in our group sampled everything and there were no gastro-related issues afterwards. The restaurant is small and the tables are in the shade, it was so relaxing.

We had spent the morning at the Costa Maya pier, relaxing in beach chairs, some in the pool, drinks from the restaurant on the far side around the pool. Around 12 noon, we went over to the taxi stand and requested a ride to town. It was $3 per person and we were promptly provided a ride in a van that could have seated 7 or 8 people comfortably. We told the taxi driver that we wanted to go to 100% Agave "near the first taxi stand". He was not familiar with the name of the restaurant but when we got to town he rolled down the window and asked other locals. Sure enough the restaurant was right there on the left side of the road!

After lunch we went around the corner and walked about a block of the beach and shopping area before taking a taxi back to the pier. Return trip was $2 per person and we had to split into two taxis, but no problem getting a ride back. We returned to the ship around 3:30 pm.

Hope you'll find this post helpful. I would definitely make the trip to 100% Agave again!

I was there with a group (6 adults + 2 young kids) last week - Friday, I think, on a cruise the days seem to blur together. I think it's a combination of seasickness medication + tequila + beer. :D

Enjoyed 100% very much. The owner is exceedingly nice, the food quite good, the prices very, very affordable. My only complaint/caution was that we waited quite some time for our food. Unfortunately, we got there right behind 1 very large group (15 or so) and a 2nd pretty big group (10 or so). The kitchen is small, and the large number of orders hitting all at once taxed the staff. The nervous couple in our group (who aren't comfortable unless back on the ship at least 1 hour before departure) were uncomfortable that we were going to miss the ship & that they'd be moving to Costa Maya permanently.

We made it in plenty of time (20 to 30 minutes prior to end of boarding time) but it did dampen the fun we'd been having prior to that (especially for me, since I'd picked the place for lunch). I'd definitely go again, but if at all tight for time I'd take care to look around at the other tables & guage how many had not yet eaten.

• 1 month later...

We were in Costa Maya in December and couldn't find 100% . We walked from the cruise pier. By the way, it is an easy walk. Would recommend it.

I'm going back next December and wish to eat at 100%. Could someone give me a marker from the boardwalk? I looked arounf the first taxi stop and couldn't find it.

Thanks

Mike

We were in Costa Maya in December and couldn't find 100% . We walked from the cruise pier. By the way, it is an easy walk. Would recommend it.

I'm going back next December and wish to eat at 100%. Could someone give me a marker from the boardwalk? I looked arounf the first taxi stop and couldn't find it.

Thanks

Mike

It's not on the boardwalk (malecon). It's a block off the beach down the street the taxis when heading into Mahahual village (Huachinango). Get off at the first taxi stop and head back toward Huachinango, the street you came down. Turn left and go about a half block. Look for the large Tequila bottle on your left. Corner of Huachinango and Sierra, if you see street signs. If you reach the soccer field on your right you've gone a 1/2 block too far. The other marker is it's a block over and behind (away from the water) Tropicante.

Thank you. With such precise directions, I think I have a 51% chance of finding it. Just hope it is still there this December.

Mike

I'll warn Fernando you're coming when I'm there in June. And will let you know if he has any plans of moving outside of where a hurricane might "inadverently" blow him. :D

We were thinking of taking a tour from Native Choice to the ruins. If we do that, do you think we will have time to come back to 100% Agave and the beach and shops? After reading the reviews in several threads about this place, I really want to go.

Does anybody have any thoughts on that?

We went to the ruins with Native choice and had them drop us off at the beach on the way back, which they were happy to do. We were done with the tour by 1:30ish I think, so we had several hours before we needed to be back at the ship (which is only 5-10 mins from the beach in any case). They actually dropped us right by the soccer field, kitty-corner from 100% Agave. I SO wish we had eaten there rather than at Tropicante - the food looks 100x better. Tropicante had a very nice stretch of beach in front (no sea grass) but the food was only so-so, very Americanized. Next time, we'll know to eat at 100% and then have beers on the beach.

Just wondering if this is a good place to buy a bottle of tequlia to take home?

With a name like 100% Agave, they must have some good stuff

It is indeed. He has some "private stock" stuff that, I believe, he makes himself. It was absolutely fantastic. Good flavor, very smooth, and he'll sell it for a very reasonable price.

Bring a water bottle or something to put it in (he has it aging in a wooden barrel with a spout on it). I forget how much he charges to fill a bottle, but it was ridiculously cheap when compared to what I pay at home for tequilas of far lesser quality.

Bring a water bottle or something to put it in (he has it aging in a wooden barrel with a spout on it). I forget how much he charges to fill a bottle, but it was ridiculously cheap when compared to what I pay at home for tequilas of far lesser quality.

50 pesos, a year ago...and he can get an empty bottle mfrom across the street.:)

Our group of 6 stopped in there last week, and every single nice thing said about Fernando's on this thread is absolutely true. What a great find, this is why I read CruiseCritic forums.

:cool::)

Snorkel2Much I love your moniker & your quote!

Thanks for your input :)

I was there with Snorkel2Much, and have to agree with everything he and all other reviews have said - if you miss this restaurant, your are missing the best food in the Yucatan, let alone all of Mexico! I've started a review thread on Trip Advisor, so you can go there for more detail about our meal, and I'll post a couple of pictures of the food.

I was there with Snorkel2Much, and have to agree with everything he and all other reviews have said - if you miss this restaurant, your are missing the best food in the Yucatan, let alone all of Mexico! I've started a review thread on Trip Advisor, so you can go there for more detail about our meal, and I'll post a couple of pictures of the food.

Greynar... just so you know, it was a Canuck diver on a land vacay that reco'd this place here in the fall of '09. Then when I mentioned it to Fernando in Jna of '10, he offered me the Tequila out of the "barrel" saying that's what they were drinking too. Comes full circle with your TA post.

Glad you folks enjoyed yourselves.:)

Archived