Upgrade and Upsell question

waquiltcruiser

I think upsells are offered to those who have booked a specific cabin.

We were in a specific SY last November and were offered an upsell to an SC. My DD was on the same cruise, in an HH [obstructed view] guarantee.

She was uupgraded to an oceanview [i can never remember the category! C?] AFTER we were offered our upsell.

And then AFTER her cabin was assigned, she was offered an upsell.

As I understand it, the TAs receive an e-mail from HAL alerting them to the upsell offers, and the TAs take it from there.

We have booked a Superior Veranda Suite stateroom for our 7 day cruise to Alaska next May. Do superior veranda suites ever get upgraded to deluxe suites? How about upsells? Thanks for your time.

Did you indicate in your original booking whether you would be willing to accept an upgrade?

Did you indicate in your original booking whether you would be willing to accept an upgrade?

I was never asked this question by the travel agent. The only thing I requested was that the suite be on the starboard side of the ship. That way we would have a view from our balcony on the way to Alaska.

What do the acronyms of SY, SV etc. mean? Sorry for the question but I'm a newbie.

I was never asked this question by the travel agent. The only thing I requested was that the suite be on the starboard side of the ship. That way we would have a view from our balcony on the way to Alaska.

What do the acronyms of SY, SV etc. mean? Sorry for the question but I'm a newbie.

A simplified explanation:

SS/SY/SZ are Superior Veranda Suites

SA/SB/SC are Deluxe Veranda Suites

The difference between each acronym in each catagory is mostly location (on which deck, forward or aft etc.)

You can ask your TA (Travel Agent) to check your booking and if you want to allow upgrades, have them notify Hal.

My family and I had two VC cabins booked side by side for our upcoming cruise on the Eurodam. Yesterday both cabins were offered an upsell to an SS so apparently even cabin assignments get upgrades. We even managed to get side by side cabins so we jumped on it.

My family and I had two VC cabins booked side by side for our upcoming cruise on the Eurodam. Yesterday both cabins were offered an upsell to an SS so apparently even cabin assignments get upgrades. We even managed to get side by side cabins so we jumped on it.

They will get Upgrades/Upsells if they indicate they would be willing to accept them. Some "opt out" as they prefer a specific cabin or location and don't want to be upgraded without knowledge/consent.

don't worry about it - as long as you didn't say do not upgrade, if the deluxe's are free, you will be offered an upsell (usually a reduced price - decide in advance what you want to pay because the offer goes out to several people at once - first one who says yes, gets it).

we had a set SS category and were upsold to SA. Unfortunately, we tend to book that category now. But the Sy's are very nice.

either way, you're in a for a great cruise:D

on my cruise to alaska in 2009, i had booked an ss specific room and when i arrived at the pier for check-in, they told me i had been upgraded to a sa, deluxe veranda suite. wow! wow! wow! how incredible was that? i'm hoping it might happen again on my cruise to mexico next april but i'm not holding my breath.

what i would like to know is how much do they ask for the upsell? nobody ever mentions that in the previous posts.

thanks.

on my cruise to alaska in 2009, i had booked an ss specific room and when i arrived at the pier for check-in, they told me i had been upgraded to a sa, deluxe veranda suite. wow! wow! wow! how incredible was that? i'm hoping it might happen again on my cruise to mexico next april but i'm not holding my breath.

what i would like to know is how much do they ask for the upsell? nobody ever mentions that in the previous posts.

thanks.

It will be all over the map. If they have overbooked or have a lot of inventory to move, the deals will improve until the quotas are met... YMMV :D

It will be all over the map. If they have overbooked or have a lot of inventory to move, the deals will improve until the quotas are met... YMMV :D

I think Maxout nailed it, they're all over the map. Some folks have reported great offers, literally pennies on the dollar to move up several categories. Others, myself included, have been offered up sells that were no bargain, like the full fare difference between the original category and the offered category. The actual numbers in my case were $2,000 per person, or $4,000 total, to move from a category B cabin to a category S on the Veendam. This was for a 14-day cruise out of Tampa. We'd only paid $4,000 for the category B cabin in the first place so the up sell would have double our fare. We turned it down.

It IS all over the map, but we were offered an upsell (one week before sailing) on a 33 day cruise at $800 pp to a "A" verandah from a "B"...we took it, as we weren't crazy about our B cabin location. Turns out, our A had problems too, and we probably would have been happier if we'd stayed put, so buyer beware!

On a shorter cruise, IMHO, location matters less to me. If you are spending a month in a cabin, you want to be comfortable with your location.

I'm curious to know how much the average upsell costs too.

Our TA does not ask us either, only because we normally travel with Friends & he knows we like to be near each other in the same category...However on The Veendam in Aug we were alone & had booked an outside cabin but we specifically told our TA if HAL offers an up-sell to a lanai, we would take it..Just before sailing we were offered an up-sell to a Verandah for $199 per person more & refused it..However the also were offering an up-sell to a lanai for $98 per person & we took it..Now we're hooked on the Lanai's..:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic & hope you really enjoy your cruise on HAL..

Cheers....:)Betty

Don't confuse an Up-grade with an Up-sell...They are two different things..

Usually, those in assigned cabins are offered up-sells first....And those in Guarantee cabins usually get the up-grades first..

If HAL really needs your assigned cabin then they will offer to up-grade you, if you indicate you will accept an up-grade..We normally never indicate we will accept an up-grade, because they can up-grade to the same type of cabin, or even to another type which we may not like..Won't take that chance

Last time we told our TA that we would only accept an up-sell to a Lanai, as heard they were offering them at $98 per person..

Cheers....:)Betty

It IS all over the map, but we were offered an upsell (one week before sailing) on a 33 day cruise at $800 pp to a "A" verandah from a "B"...we took it, as we weren't crazy about our B cabin location. Turns out, our A had problems too, and we probably would have been happier if we'd stayed put, so buyer beware!

On a shorter cruise, IMHO, location matters less to me. If you are spending a month in a cabin, you want to be comfortable with your location.

I'm only speaking for myself but got to say moving from a B to an A on the R and S class ships is no big deal. Other than location they're exactly the same cabin. Even location is subjective as I'd rather have a B category cabin midships than an A cabin aft. Good example, at least to me, why all up sells, or even upgrades, are not equal and not all good deals.

Archived