Private tour advice.. Casablanca

AnyPortinaStorm

In November 2005 we were booked Hamid Dandane (E-mail: hamid_d@yahoo.com) but because of a last minute port change -- we came in to Casablanca on a different day than was originally scheduled -- he was unable to take our group and sent a friend. The friend was no more than satisfactory. Also, his English wasn't so hot -- once he discovered I could speak French passably, I became the interpreter.

However, Hamid was very highly recommended by a number of people at Fodors.com which was why we booked him to begin with.

On our Miami-Barcelona transatlantic in March 2009 someone else arranged a city tour with Jamal Jamali <jamaltour1@gmail.com> which was good. We joined in at the last minute because we'd not intended on touring in Casablanca (having been there twice before). This was a decent, reasonably priced tour.

By the way, with Hamid we arranged for a trip to Rabat as well as visits to the Mosque and Orthodox Synagogue in Casablanca. But with Jamal we just did a standard city tour.

If you go to the Mosque (highly recommended), be sure to ask your guide if the Mosque itself will be open when you are there. It is not always open to non-believers.

Hope this helps.

Mura

Regarding the use of a cab versus an official tour ...

For starters, the first time we were in Tangiers (with Renaissance in 2001) we used a cab driver and were very happy with the tour. On a later tour to Tangiers when we were four couples we used a tour guide and did see more, but the cab driver gave us an excellent day on that first visit.

In Casablanca, if you want to see the Mosque -- I assume you do -- the only problem as I see it would be if you are there at a time when "infidels" are not permitted inside. We had a "mosque guide" for our tour there so whether you use an tour guide or a cab driver probably shouldn't matter. If the mosque is closed to non-Muslims, you can see the exterior as well with a cab driver as you can with an official tour.

(By the way, when we were there the first time in October 1998 the king was in town and we couldn't even APPROACH the Mosque.)

On the other hand, if you want to see the Orthodox Synagogue (which is definitely worth a visit whether you are Jewish or not) you may well need a tour guide ... just because it is not open and somebody has to get the key from the caretaker. Whether a cab driver could get the key or not, I don't know. The two times we were there it was with a tour guide.

The two times I mentioned we had tour guides -- we were groups of four couples. If we were on our own, I'd go for the cab driver as well.

I believe that we paid about $45pp for the tour guides both times. I'm sure you can negotiate a lower price for a cab driver!

As to Rabat, which we did in 2005 -- I wasn't all that impressed. If you haven't been to Casablanca before, I'd stay in town. (I'll also say it's not my favorite port -- it's a big, dirty city ... but there ARE things to see.)

The cab driver was about $60 total for four of us.

We did see the Synagogue/museum with the cab driver--yes, it was a bit of an effort to find the caretaker, but the cab driver was persistent and resourceful.

Not trying to get into a battle with you Andee, just trying to provide info ...

$60 for two couples is a darned good price! And if we were 1-2 couples, I'd go with the cab, no question about that. On our particular cruise -- well, both of them -- we were 4 couples which is a bit different. (With Renaissance in Oct 1999 we took the ship's tour which was also a good deal if you are into ship's tours, which I no longer am!)

I'm glad to hear that your cab driver was persistent and got in to the Synagogue... I just wonder how many would? Maybe they all do!

So ... Anyportinastorm ... until other people weigh in (!) I personally would say that if you guys are by yourselves, the cab driver approach is the way to go. And if you can find 3 other couples ... then consider a tour.

How is that for equivocating? I don't think you can go wrong either way ... unless you get a lousy cab driver or tour guide, which is another issue entirely ...

Mura

But not everyone who wants to see the Synagogue speaks Hebrew! I certainly don't and I've sung at temple services as the "hired help" for many years! I suppose I could come up with a text or two if necessary ...

I do recommend that anyone going to Casablanca visit the Synagogue. It has some gorgeous modern stained glass windows.

That's me! I blew out my knee the day before we boarded in Barcelona, and then made it worse the first day on the ship.

I was squeezing into one of those window seats in the GDR that has three tables for two lined up by a window. All other chairs except for the two window seats were occupied and for me it was a real tight squeeze ... my knee went in one direction and my foot in the other. Such agony I have never felt. I made it to my chair and we had dinner. By the end of dinner I thought I was okay ... until I tried to stand up and couldn't. The waiters whisked over a wheelchair and I was in it for the rest of the cruise!

I had surgery for a torn meniscus the following February! It's okay now ...

Mura

Mura

How much time will you have in Casablanca, AnyPort?

To my great disappointment, we will only be there from 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM. What can we see that late in the day? What time would it get dark on April 3?

How much time will you have in Casablanca, AnyPort?

To my great disappointment, we will only be there from 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM. What can we see that late in the day? What time would it get dark on April 3?

This year sunset on April 3 was 6:53.

Hope that helps.:)

This year sunset on April 3 was 6:53.

Hope that helps.:)

Thanks! That's not as bad as I thought.

We will definitely be sticking with the ship's tours in Casablanca. I don't want to end up wandering around that port after dark.

It would have been nice to visit Marrakech. :(

Having just visited Casablanca on a land tour, I can report that tours of the mosque were at 9, 10 and 11 AM and 2(?) & 3 PM and costing 120 Dirhams or about $15 (during our visit, YMMV).

The mosque is not open to visitors on Fridays and during Muslim holidays.

Well worth visiting.

Rabat (or even Fes) are doable on a long port stay. Marrakesh, while well worth visiting, is not worth it out of Casablanca, IMO.

Having just visited Casablanca on a land tour, I can report that tours of the mosque were at 9, 10 and 11 AM and 2(?) & 3 PM and costing 120 Dirhams or about $15 (during our visit, YMMV).

Well, that let's us out, considering we arrive at 3 and who knows how long before we can get off the ship.

I can't wait to see what tours the ship offers.

Well, that let's us out, considering we arrive at 3 and who knows how long before we can get off the ship.

I can't wait to see what tours the ship offers.

They may contract directly with the mosque for a tour. If they have it on the schedule, then it is a "private" tour, but it would not be during the prayers.

Andee, your name sounds familiar, too. In 2004 we were in the Caribbean ... we did the Med in November 2005, the first of the non-Libya cruises (Barcelona-Lisbon).

Mura,

My question has nothing to do with this thread--but can you tell me what you meant regarding "non-Libya cruises"--some change in past practice by Oceania? Thanks.

Ed

Ed,

Back in November and December of 2005 Oceania scheduled two cruises that were intended to visit Libya. Those of us who took the cruises call them "non-Libya" because shortly before departure Kaddafi started acting up and refusing to let passengers with U.S. passports leave the ship. Several cruiselines were affected in the month or so prior to our departure so Oceania changed the itineraries to eliminate the planned ports of call in Libya.

• 1 month later...

Archived