Oceania's Visa Services

fragras

We are on Nautica's cruise Hong Kong to Athens next March but have never before cruised to countries that require visas for US citizens. We signed up for Oceania's "visa package." Is there anything that we need to know about this beforehand; e.g., any additional documentation that we need to bring with us other than our passports? The package includes visas for Myanmar, Vietnam and India.

On previous land tours, we have always done our own visas, so I have a small concern about this.

Thanks for any insight you can give us.

Grace Servas

We were on basically the same cruise in 2006. If I remember correctly, our visa package included India, Vietnam, Oman, Egypt and Jordan. Our cruise did not stop in Myanmar. We used the services of ZVS to obtain all of our necessary visas. It's expensive but really in the scope of the total cost of the trip, it's pretty minimal. Make sure that you have enough pages in your passport for all the stamps that you will be getting. In our case, we had to get extra pages added to our passport (for an additional fee) to be able to have enough room for everything that was needed. Everything you need to know is on www.zvs.com. They let you know how many pictures you need and all of the paperwork is there for you to download, fill out and send to them via express service like UPS or FEDEX. I would do this as soon as you can because it does take time.

I'm sure that many seasoned travelers did this on their own and for a lot less money but we chose to let Oceania do it via their contracted service with ZVS to save the time and trouble it would have been for us to do on our own. For us, it all comes down to how much our time is worth.

Karen

We always take a copy of the visa pages and email them to our account in the event that our passport gets lost or stolen. We also keep a copy of our passport picture page inside each of our suitcases - be it checked or carry-on. In the event that our bags are lost in transit, at least there is an additional bit of documentation inside the bag.

The other thing we've done for the last 10 years or so is to take a picture of our suitcases (with the straps on and everything ready to go) and print this off to keep in my purse in case one of the bags is lost by the airlines. That way, we have a picture of the suitcase to give to the airlines when filling out the necessary paperwork. Fortunately, we've not had to use this but you never know when the baggage may end up across the world.....

Karen

Be aware that you may have to supply Oceania with certain personal info for some visas, India, in particular. For China and Brazil you would need photos but not sure if you do for India. I'd have your TA check with them for any necessary documentation.

After you have made final payment Oceania will advise you as to procedures for all visas.

They usually have special accounts/representatives set up at the visa services to handle Oceania passengers.

You will have an assigned number and a web site to go to to apply for the visas.

It is pretty painless but expensive.

Several of the folk on our roll call for the Amazon cruise used Oceania for getting their Brazil visa and were charged very high rates and got very slow service in return. We use www.travisa.com. They do charge a service fee, but one much smaller than Oceania. They are also much faster. I would highly recommend them.

Several of the folk on our roll call for the Amazon cruise used Oceania for getting their Brazil visa and were charged very high rates and got very slow service in return. We use www.travisa.com. They do charge a service fee, but one much smaller than Oceania. They are also much faster. I would highly recommend them.

The time delay is not the fault of Oceania or their VISA service but that of the consulates. You have to submit to your local Brazilian consulate and the ones in California seem to be the worst and the one in Florida (3 days) seems to be the best. It is probably related to the number of visas they handle.

The Oceania price of $299 is high and it is because you are paying 3 people (consulate, visa service and Oceania).

If you go direct (at least in Florida) price is $140 in person and $160 via mail.

The NY Consulate is also a three-day walk-in service at a cost of $140 per visa. You fill out the form on-line then print out your receipt which you present at the Consulate with your passport, postal money order and photo. you return in 3 days to pick it up.

We are on Nautica's cruise Hong Kong to Athens next March but have never before cruised to countries that require visas for US citizens. We signed up for Oceania's "visa package." Is there anything that we need to know about this beforehand; e.g., any additional documentation that we need to bring with us other than our passports? The package includes visas for Myanmar, Vietnam and India.

On previous land tours, we have always done our own visas, so I have a small concern about this.

Thanks for any insight you can give us.

Grace Servas

Oceania doesn't have a visa package.I just used them for Visas for Brazil and they direct you to a web site for 2 times the money.You still have to do everything yourself.Never again would I use Oceania.I had to pay $58

in postage on top of their $600 to download forms from CIBT.:confused:

Each country sets the rules for consular services. Brazil is one of the ones which mandates Visa issuance by jurisdiction based on (for US Citizens) the state where you reside. There are offices in certain larges cities and each one is responsible for issuance only for certain states. Brazil has for the past 20 + years used the Consular Offices as profit centers. They often vary in the price charged for the Visa. In addition to that cost there will be handling fees imposed by visa service companies.

Brazil is an amazing country - go an enjoy no matter what the visa will cost you!!

For Brazil, be aware that they may ask you for a copy of your most recent bank statement. When we got to the consulate in Atlanta, we had not known about this requirement. Fortunately, we were able to print one out online pretty quickly.

The Brazilian consulate in Atlanta has same-day service at no extra cost for those living within their jurisdiction. You drop things off by noon and pick up later the same afternoon.

Mura's right, but only if you happen to fall under certain consulates:

"Atlanta and Chicago Jurisdiction: Evidence of sufficient funds to support stay in destination such as pay stubs, traveler's cheques, and/or most recent bank statement.

Washington DC jurisdictions: Consulates may in some circumstances request evidence of sufficient funds to support stay in destination such as pay stubs, traveler's cheques, and/or most recent bank statement. In Washington DC this is required for applicants who are entering and departing Brazil by land."

Seriously, people, how crazy is that? (I hope the Brazilian consulate is not monitoring Cruise Critic or my application is going to end up in the reject pile)

I think it's more likely that they want to be sure you have enough money to spend while you're there.

No it is the games the Brazil consulates play -- the reciprocal that we in the USA do to their citizens. Brazil citizens are required to provide bank details as part of their interview process for a tourist visa.

Archived