Jackets on Informal nights Caribbean

The Mommy

Am I correct in thinking that on a 14 night Caribbean cruise On Azura, the 4 informal nights are altered to casual and that no jacket is therefore required. Our TA seems to be uncertain on this matter.

Our party are happy with the informal evenings but see no need to take jackets that are unnecessary - can anyone shed any light please

many thanks

Hi

This is from the P&O website, it looks like only Oceana & Ventura have done away with the semi formal nights

Semi-Formal

Ladies can wear anything from tailored trousers to smart separates or an elegant dress, while men are required to wear a smart shirt and trousers with a jacket such as a blazer or sports jacket. A suit and tie may be worn but is not compulsory. (From April 2009 Semi-Formal applies to Arcadia, Artemis, Aurora, Azura and Oriana only.)

Smart Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers may be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim may be worn however we request that the following items are not worn: sportswear, e.g. trainers, football shirts and tracksuits. Bring your brightest clothes for our Tropical evenings. (Applies to all ships.)

For a typical two week cruise:

Oceana and Ventura - From April 2009 there will normally be four Formal evenings and ten Smart Casual evenings. Arcadia, Aurora, Oriana and Artemis – there are normally four Formal evenings, four Semi-Formal evenings and six Smart Casual. However in extremely hot temperatures these dress codes may be relaxed. We will send you confirmation of the specific details of your cruise with your travel documents.

Hullo The Mommy - you are right. There are no semi-formal nights in the Caribbean so no jackets are required. On a 14 night cruise there are 4 formal and 10 smart casual. We have just received our cruise info for our Azura cruise and this confirmed what we thought anyway. Wouldn't have taken extra jackets to the Caribbean, I'd rather eat in the buffet.

• 3 weeks later...
Hullo The Mommy - you are right. There are no semi-formal nights in the Caribbean so no jackets are required. On a 14 night cruise there are 4 formal and 10 smart casual. We have just received our cruise info for our Azura cruise and this confirmed what we thought anyway. Wouldn't have taken extra jackets to the Caribbean, I'd rather eat in the buffet.

Hi The Mommy and Janey,

Seems like P & O have changed their mind again, we are on Azura A019 leaving 12th November and have been advised that there are now 4 formal, 2 semi-formal nights and 8 smart casual, I wish they would make their mind up!!

Ray

There is a lot of discussion on the P&O website at the moment it seems that people are receiving letters from P&O stating that semi-formal has been re-instated on caribbean cruises but when they contact P&O by phone or e-mail they are being told there are no semi-formal nights in the caribbean!

We are on A103a and our cruise personaliser currently says 4 formal 2 semi-formal and 8 smart-casual but people on the cruise before us have different info on their cruise personaliser :confused:

There is a lot of confusion on semi formal just for Azura. The brochure said there would be formal, semi formal and casual. I have seen some people on the early Azura caribbean cruises saying they have no semi formal and some saying they have two nights semi formal, so who knows.

The only definitive answer you will get is when you receive your holiday information brochure, which is issued six weeks before departure, it will say in there what the dress code is for your cruise. It also contains excursion details, visa requirement, innoculations required, etc (where necessary) and most important your personalised luggage labels.

Alternatively you could email P&O and ask them to clear up the confusion.

Brian

PS. Just looked at my Cruise Personaliser and there is a document on there you can view called "Your Travel Summary". Scroll down to page 2 and the dress codes are shown there. I think this becomes available about 12 weeks before departure

Wait and see what it says on your tickets, they will more likely have the correct info, they also a arrive a no of weeks before you sail. :)

Hi Derek

You dont get tickets anymore, its all e-tickets now which you have to print off. Just looked at my e-tickets and there is no info on dress code on them. Its all in the Holiday Information book, but dont press GO GREEN or you may not get one.

Brian

There is a lot of confusion on semi formal just for Azura. The brochure said there would be formal, semi formal and casual. I have seen some people on the early Azura caribbean cruises saying they have no semi formal and some saying they have two nights semi formal, so who knows.

The only definitive answer you will get is when you receive your holiday information brochure, which is issued six weeks before departure, it will say in there what the dress code is for your cruise. It also contains excursion details, visa requirement, innoculations required, etc (where necessary) and most important your personalised luggage labels.

Alternatively you could email P&O and ask them to clear up the confusion.

Brian

PS. Just looked at my Cruise Personaliser and there is a document on there you can view called "Your Travel Summary". Scroll down to page 2 and the dress codes are shown there. I think this becomes available about 12 weeks before departure

Hi BrianI,

My Cruise Personaliser is still showing no semi formal nights despite a letter from my TA to the contrary, I rang P & O today who confirmed that there are 2 semi formal nights on my Azura cruise which is on the 12th November. The letter from the TA only came last week so just 2 weeks before the actual cruise, having said that we know somebody else on the same cruise but with a different TA who hasn't been told anything about semi formal nights so it all seems a bit hit and miss.

Ray

going on the azura in jan

phoned po was told 4 formal

now 2 semi formal

8 smart casuel

We go on Jan 8th and have been told 4 formal and 10 casual by TA about a month ago. Would you advise I call P&O to be certain?

Definitely!

Another update, I emailed P & O for confirmation today and they confirmed 4 formal, 2 semi formal and 8 smart casual on A019 to the Caribbean 12th November, it would appear that the Cruise Personaliser hasn't been updated for some reason.

Ray

Definitely!

Ray

What does your holiday information book say?

The dress code is shown under the map on page 3

Brian

Brian,

We never actually received a holiday information book, the only thing we have is from the PDF file on the Cruise Personaliser which shows 4 formal and 10 smart casual- this is shown under the map. Incidentally the map shows that we are going to Catalina Island but this has been cancelled and the itinery changed to now stop at St Vincent so it's very fluid.

Ray

I received my cruise info book which said 4 formal, 10 smart casual. A few days later an emergency letter from P&O saying 4 formal, 2 semi-formal and 8 smart casual. Cruise Personaliser says the same as the letter. As I've said before it doesn't make much difference as I shall wear the same things anyway, husband will wear a jacket for the journey which he can wear in the evening if necessary if we don't go to the buffet. My biggest gripe at the moment is the way P&O have dropped the prices this past few weeks for our cruise on 13 Nov . So much for booking early to get the fantastic Early Bird savings. Should I sue them under the Trade Descriptions Act?

Ray,

I presume you must have pressed the GO GREEN button on the cruise personaliser, which means you dont get the paper copy of the holiday book. This is useful as it also contains your personalised luggage labels. The paper ones you can print yourself arn't very strong.

You still have time for P&O to send you some if you contact them.

P&O have not been going to Catalina Island for almost two years, ever since Ventura ran aground and they had to pay a very large sum in compensation to the Dominican government.

Brian

What exactly is the position on P & O regarding semi-formal nights? Are men refused entry to the MDR if not wearing a jacket? I ask because on RCI, only about 50% of men wore them, so my menfolk didn't bother the second night, because it was very hot in the dining room. We are actually on Ventura, so doesn't apply to us, but I just wondered?

Hi All

For the avoidance of doubt:

We have booked a 14 night cruise on Azura to Caribbean on Jan 8th 2011.

In the brochure at time of booking: 4 formal 4 informal 6 casual

TA then said: 4 formal and 10 casual.

Then cruise travel summary said: 4 formal 2 informal 8 casual

So I wrote to P&O and asked for the correct information. Today I received a response to confirm:

4 formal, 2 informal and 8 casual for our sailing

I can also say that when on Ventura the dress code was strictly adhered to so I fully anticipate that Azura will be the same.

I can only recommend that the travel summary is correct and if you are uncertain then send e mail or letter to confirm.

Archived