Passport Prices going up soon.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this, but effective March 8th, the cost of a US Passport will increase by $12.00 per person. It is called a security fee. It applies to all passports, both new and renewal.

There is some new technology with the new passports and the passports will be returned by Priority Mail instead of first class.

So, if anyone is thinking about applying for a passport or renewing one, you may want to beat the price increase by applying soon.

Donna

Thanks for the heads up. DH got his last month and I just applied for mine this past Thursday. We were going to do one per month, but I guess I will get the kids' done before March. I will tell my mom to get hers done soon too.

Will this increase apply to the kids ones too?

Maggie

I work for the post office and I have not heard a thing about an increase. If they are planning an increase I think they would have notified us about it by now. I wonder where the info came from and if it is official.

I really don't think a mere $12.00 (the price of lunch at mcdonald's) is going to break anyone, lol.

It might not kill anyone but I know people who will spend $6 in gas shopping for an item with all that shopping saving them even less money. ;)

We bought ours after the last increase. It didn't break us but, if I'd have known the price was going up, I'd have gotten our passports when they were cheaper.

I bet one of the future increases in fee's will be a shortened lifespan of the passport. Maybe curring it down from 10 years between renewals to 5-7 years.

I processed nearly sixty passports today, and we were notified by the State Dept. (Boston) early this week.

It is on the State Departments Web Site also near the bottom of the page.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2005/42133.htm

From the information that they sent to us, it applies to all passports.

I hope this helps

Donna

I was at the post office this morning and they also confirmed that prices are going up $12.00.

I don't think you are going to find wide spread notice about the impending price change. I am sure they are not looking for a mass flooding of applications, and loss of revenue, from people trying to get in under the wire to beat the increase.

Donna,

Hubby doesn't want to send his original birth certificate with the passport application and we don't have time to get certified copies to send instead before the price increase. How often does it happen that a BC is lost or damaged during the process? Just trying to find out to ease his mind.

Kathy

Kathy,

I have been processing passports for over 11 years and have never had anyone call me and tell me that they didn't receive their bc back.

Has it ever happened? I'm sure it has. However, the State Dept. does pay the cost of getting a new BC if this happens.

It is much more difficult to replace a naturalization certificate and they have to send them in also. It takes up to a year and cost at least $210.00.

I hope this helps,

Donna

Archived