Gratuities for an infant

PAGA

I am aware that Celebrity now adds $11.50 per passenger per day to your Sea Pass account for gratuities. Does anyone know if this same amount is added for an infant?

I am assuming yes, since an infant pays a full cruise fare...and I agree that the crew works just as hard for an infant (if not sometimes harder).

I am only asking because we just got a windfall of an onboard credit ($320!!!) and want to make sure none of it goes to waste.

I am aware that Celebrity now adds $11.50 per passenger per day to your Sea Pass account for gratuities. Does anyone know if this same amount is added for an infant?

I am assuming yes, since an infant pays a full cruise fare...and I agree that the crew works just as hard for an infant (if not sometimes harder).

I am only asking because we just got a windfall of an onboard credit ($320!!!) and want to make sure none of it goes to waste.

Did you have to pay a regular fare for the infant ? That is a surprise.

You can always use the option to remove gratuities if you feel your child isn't using them.

I can't remember the breakdown, but I thought there was a minimal inclusion for buffet servers? Willing to be an infant isn't swinging through the buffet once a day. ;)

You can always tip those directly that have been help to you. I tend to tip a little extra directly, and we've cruised with a couple who remove their tips, and tip directly because they don't believe the staff gets the tips.

Yes, infants do pay the same basic gratuity as adults. As always, you can add extra (at your discretion) to any staff that go above and beyond in the service/attention they provide to your young one.

Infants pay full gratuities on Celebrity, same amount will be added to your onboard account for your baby as for any of the adults.

I found several place when we were deciding if we should go for one cabin of four or two of two that said on Celebrity children under 12 travelling as third or fourth passengers are charged half gratuities. I noticed it because i found it surprising, having not seen the same thing on other lines.

We came off of back to back cruises on X this past spring. Yes, they charged the full tip amount for my tot. They are always adjustable though.

I found several place when we were deciding if we should go for one cabin of four or two of two that said on Celebrity children under 12 travelling as third or fourth passengers are charged half gratuities. I noticed it because i found it surprising, having not seen the same thing on other lines.

Where did you see that? :confused:

That is completely false information.

I've only sailed Celebrity twice and both times we paid 1/2 the daily gratuity rate for our under 12 child. We haven't sailed since 2007. Has that policy changed?

I've only sailed Celebrity twice and both times we paid 1/2 the daily gratuity rate for our under 12 child. We haven't sailed since 2007. Has that policy changed?

Several years ago the recommended Gratuity policy was changed from 1/2 of the adult gratuities to the same amount. I can't remember when this was but it might have been shortly after 2007. Could be there are some remnants of the old policy here and there on Celebrity's, or others', web site.

Several years ago the recommended Gratuity policy was changed from 1/2 of the adult gratuities to the same amount. I can't remember when this was but it might have been shortly after 2007. Could be there are some remnants of the old policy here and there on Celebrity's, or others', web site.

Well that's good to know. Our child spent a lot of his time in the kids club so we tipped there accordingly as well. At the time we thought it would have been a good idea to add a tip for the kid's club employees to the daily 1/2 price kid's rate but I guess that would have opened up another can of worms for children who don't use it.

That was the policy up until about three years ago. It was the policy while my children were growing up. When it was 1/2 it was a real hot button issue on this board when it was brought up, got as hot as the dress codes, smoking, etc...

Our granddaughter (2 1/2) is going with us on our Mercury Thanksgiving cruise and is charged the 3rd person charge, and will pay full gratuities for her. Did the same when we cruise with her last year on a Carnival Thanksgiving cruise.

If that bothers anyone (I know, the OP is just asking to make plans), why don't you remove all the booze and wine you are smuggling in your carry-on and stuff the kid into a bag and smuggle the babe on that way?.....just a suggestion.

Denny

WOW :eek:

I find it hard to imagine that ANYTHING could get as touchy as the dress codes/chair hogs. :cool:

They did, as a matter of fact years ago when these boards started anything involving children was a serious hot button issue. There were a lot of people out there who thought that kids should not be on cruises, they should not be Celebrity Cruises and god forbid you took them out of school for a couple of days to go on a cruise. Remember to keep it in perspective, I'm talking about the 90s when the Century was considered a huge ship and they first put dedicated areas for kids on the ships...The tip thing only ended a couple of years ago and that was also a serious topic.....Think of the tip threads now but throw kids into the mix..

As LSimon points out, a few years ago (or more at least early/mid-2000s) it was X published policy that 3/4 in a cabin (members of the same family or minors) the 'suggested' gratuity was 1/2. Now that was prior to auto-tipping etc. I've always cruised as a family of 6 so I pay and pay attention.

If I was taking a less than 2 yo and doing the care 'work' I might consider cutting some of the gratuity (particularly as to cabin stewards; I might shift theirs to the MDR servers that end up with extra clean up). Hey - this remains a flexible charging structure! Obviously, the line once believed in the sufficiency of 3/4 (50%) once not so long ago. If you're a fair tipper what's it matter?

Archived