Is a beach cabana worth the money?

wyomom2

Which cabana is best? Also, why does the online purchase process quote a cost per person? Do they restrict the number of people who can come in?

Sometimes the "best" cabana is the one you are able to snag; they can go that fast. Otherwise, some people like the ones further out, as they are quieter; others like the ones closer to the restrooms, or food pavillion.

The cabana is rented to one party, for up to four people. Additional people are an additional charge. The cabana is reasonably full with four. I would think six adults would feel quite crowded.

Sometimes the "best" cabana is the one you are able to snag; they can go that fast. Otherwise, some people like the ones further out, as they are quieter; others like the ones closer to the restrooms, or food pavillion.

The cabana is rented to one party, for up to four people. Additional people are an additional charge. The cabana is reasonably full with four. I would think six adults would feel quite crowded.

Thanks Ruth. They make it a little difficult, just putting the color on the website. I did some googling and I think I have figured out which colors are which.

This link gives the color and the number. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/296583013_6fa96f5e51_o.jpg

This one shows the location http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-destinations/HalfMoonCay_Map.pdf, with cabana 1 starting near the massage cabana.

But even looking at the site, I would still need some help.

The map has the following four colurs, I am not sure about. Lt. Blue, Light Purple, and Mauve

The website has the following corresponding ones I can't figure out: Sky Blue, Violet and Taupe

I am willing to guess Light Blue is Sky Blue, but the other two I have no clue.

Had a beach cabana on HAL cruise in 2006.

The best bang for your excursion dollar .

They include Soda , water , fruit and other food items.:cool:

They supply snorkel equipment . water float .:cool:

You get a shower , private air conditioned area to eat & rest.:cool:

Which cabana is best? Also, why does the online purchase process quote a cost per person? Do they restrict the number of people who can come in?

Any cabana is better than no cabana at all.

The online price is for up to four persons. Any additional would be $45.00 each.

The online price is for up to four persons. Any additional would be $45.00 each.

With a maximum of 6.

Butler service is an additional fee - again, base for 4, additional for each person up to 6.

I prefer the higher-numbered Cabanas - much quieter as you're farther away...

...but if you're not getting the butler, you'll want a cabana closer in.

Going on our first HAL Carribean cruise and I have no intention of renting a Cabana.I plan on getting an clamshell for the 2 of us and spending the majority of our time in the water.That is what I go to the beach for.I guess I am different as I also don't think a Balcony is that important either.

The water and the beach look wonderful and I am sure we will have a fabulous time.

Going on our first HAL Carribean cruise and I have no intention of renting a Cabana.I plan on getting an clamshell for the 2 of us and spending the majority of our time in the water.That is what I go to the beach for.I guess I am different as I also don't think a Balcony is that important either.

The water and the beach look wonderful and I am sure we will have a fabulous time.

alpal,

I agree with you 100%. Even if they gave me the cabana for free, I doubt I would spend ten minutes in it or on the porch. I'm a beach guy. Sun, Sand and Water. :)

You might consider reserving the clamshell in advance..It's only $14.00 & seats two people..

Cheers....:)Betty

Thank you for the advice, Betty. I went ahead and rented clamshells for BOTH of my HMC stops...it will be nice to have a little shade, should the day require it...:D

alpal,

I agree with you 100%. Even if they gave me the cabana for free, I doubt I would spend ten minutes in it or on the porch. I'm a beach guy. Sun, Sand and Water. :)

You have to keep in mind . That the Island doesn't have a lot of shade and the sand can get to hot to sit or lie on even with a towel or blanket.

We where there in Oct and the air temp was over 80 degrees.

By lunch it was to hot to comfortably walk on the sand.

You have to keep in mind . That the Island doesn't have a lot of shade and the sand can get to hot to sit or lie on even with a towel or blanket.

We where there in Oct and the air temp was over 80 degrees.

By lunch it was to hot to comfortably walk on the sand.

When it gets down to 75 us Floridians put on a sweater.Try the sand in the summer when its been 95 every day.Still don't need to use A/C when your at the beach IMO.You can buy a pair of water shoes for real cheap.They work well .

I doubt we will get the butler, although that does sound nice. We will probably take turns being the butler for each other.

If alcohol interests you, the butler is a good investment. It includes unlimited rail drinks, wine, beer, and champagne.

Thanks Ruth. They make it a little difficult, just putting the color on the website. I did some googling and I think I have figured out which colors are which.

This link gives the color and the number. http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/296583013_6fa96f5e51_o.jpg

This one shows the location http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-destinations/HalfMoonCay_Map.pdf, with cabana 1 starting near the massage cabana.

The map has the following four colurs, I am not sure about. Lt. Blue, Light Purple, and Mauve

The website has the following corresponding ones I can't figure out: Sky Blue, Violet and Taupe

The Violet Cabana is #15 - the last one. DD and I rented that one in 2008 and it was sheer bliss. We'd been to HMC before and always rented clamshells, but this was just such a wonderful treat. The day that we had the cabana it was absolutely the hottest day that we'd ever experienced at HMC. HMC was being shared by the Noordam and Westerdam that day, so there were many, many people on the beach initially. However, by 1 PM the beach was virtually deserted except for those who had clamshells and cabanas - it was pretty intolerable if you didn't have some form of physical protection from the sun.

There were plenty of stewards who came around to the cabana for drink orders - remember that the cabana does come stocked with soft drinks of your choice, but if you want the hard stuff the bar stewards will fetch them for you.

BTW, when the cabanas became available to book for our cruise, they were sold out in 24 hours.

wyomom2 - don't think you've posted again to this thread, so I may try to flag you down on your roll call. Everyone has given good information and opinions on cabanas. But there was a comment in your OP I want to address:

"Looking at shore excurions. Wow - pricey! Watching our pennies. Trying to plan ahead and choose wisely."

I strongly recommend private shore excursions for the Caribbean, not the more expensive "ship's own". I know new cruisers like the security that goes with knowing the ship will wait for you. However, on these small islands it would be almost impossible to get so far away from civilization you won't make it back if there's a mechanical breakdown, etc. Also, spur of the moment, "grab a taxi and go to the beach" is also an option, and much cheaper. Please do take a look at the Ports of Call boards for your ports:

Grand Turk:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=100&f=385

San Juan:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=100&f=131

I recommend a walking tour of Old San Juan. You can get a free map to do this on your own at the tourist centre, La Casita. An excellent tour company IMO is Legends of Puerto Rico

St. Maarten:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=100&f=93

All of that leads to my point, which may actually be on topic. :eek:

I think of the "ship's own" tours, a cabana can be the best value for a family. For many people it's a waste of money....but if a cabana appeals to you, IMO you're likely a cabana kind of person. I am, and I'd do the splurge. You can save enough on the other tours to pay for it.

There are public washrooms near the taupe cabana (#1, near the tender) and also halfway down the beach, behind the eggshell cabana. However, I agree with RuthC: if there's a cabana still available, location is immaterial. If you want one, just grab it.

We rented a clamshell for our stay at HMC. It got hot under there, even when I propped open the back. The next time we go, it's cabana time! I would think a family would enjoy the cabana more, esp. with drinks plus water toys being supplied. But I'd rather spend my money on an experience rather than a trinket at this stage in my life, esp. since I've started decluttering my house!

alpal,

I'm a beach guy too; the cabana sits right there on the beach in the sand....perched in front of the water.

:p

It doesn't sound as though we' ll want a cabana, either. Do you know approx. cost of renting snorkel gear on the beach? We' ll be five- - my husband and I and our kids who are 22, 21, and 16.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Did you ever find out about those two cabanas?

On the map # 11 (light purple)

and # 15 (mauve)

which HAL site listing would match? There is "taupe" and "violet"

I'm thinking neither is really 'taupe'...but if you had to venture a guess?

I'm trying to figure out what colour HAL would call cabana # 11 :confused:

Archived