Hurt on excursion question.

echo

I was not sure the OP was expecting anything....they were just making you think about a situation that could happen and say....what would I want to happen if this was me. Sure the OP got taken care of, BUT, they were in a 3rd world country and it could have turned out MUCH worse....

Just my thought....:o

echo Oh and this was 8 days ago.

:confused:

I guess I am still a little confused, but it is because of the way your presented your post... asking us what we would expect.

After teetime213 and boaterette explaination, I assume you were OK with the treatment. I am glad you are OK, and were treated well. ;)

The crew of the sailboat did come help me up ,along with my husband. They gave me shopping bag of ice and a few paper towels and moved me to the back end of the boat. They filled out a report and text messaged the owner of the tour boat. They proceded on with the tour as normal from that point. It did take about 1 hour to get back. Yes there was a quickier route but there may have been reasons for not taking it, I dont know. There was a sweet lady who was a nurse on the tour and she helped me alot by just talking to me. I wish I could have let her know how things turned out. Maybe she reads this board.

Anyways the owner had car waiting but I had to walk a distance to get to it.

The owner told me the ship had been informed. Short car ride, walk thru customs, which was interesting, standing there with blood running and the custom agent just kept looking at our Ids. Wait for a golf cart and ride it to the ship. Went to infirmary. Recieved medical care at no charge. Carnival did make many more reports and called my room a couple of times to check on me.

To answer someones question, we had 1 sea day left on the cruise and I mostly stayed in bed. So atleast it wasnt early in. And to comment on another post, one fear that did race thru my mind was, what if the ship wouldnt let me back on?

It seems to me (as a first responder in my school in case of accident/emergency if our nurse is not around) that all the proper steps were taken in the correct order. The only thing I would have done differently is used a towel instead of paper towels- more absorbant, and stops bleeding better/faster. Everyone necessary was notified, and CCL did check up on you once on the ship, and didn't charge you for anything. Lots of blood is common with head/scalp wounds. And as far as shoes being worn on cats - we have always had to take our shoes off and put them in a bin before we got on. I guess you are lucky you only lost one day, and hope you have healed. BTW - did you see a Dr. when you got home? And how was the wound closed? A 1 1/2 inch laceration usually needs to be stitched, or glued? Did they do it on the ship?

Seems to be alot of this kind of thread lately on the Carnival boards... people posting things just to get a reaction out of people. And it works everytime!

I'm sure the OP had good intentions and just wanted to give everyone something to think about. But, the whole premise of "what would you do or expect" could have been handled alot better & in such a way that there wouldn't be so many negative responses. Don't know why the story was dragged out so long... why not just post what happened to you... give the positives & negatives & have it be an informative post. Sounds like you were taken care of by the excursion company and Carnival. If you'd just told your story outright, there probably wouldn't have been ANY negative responses.

I guess I just like to think about how I come across before I hit that submit button and try to make my posts informative & helpful to people !

Glad you're ok, OP... and thanks for giving us all something to think about... even if it took awhile to get to the point :)

The negative post are going to come regardless, even if I had just posted about my experiences. I posted to see if what I experienced was what people would have wanted to happen to them, with out knowing how it was handled.

If you think it was for Drama, then it was for drama.

Pe4all, they ended up glueing it, though they said it may need to be stiched. They didn't want to shave my head and something about letting the wound bleed. And boy did it, I felt for the cabin steward. Yes done on the ship. The glue burned like the dickens, hurt worse than the injury, but head wounds usually arent too painful to begin with. With only one day left they wanted me to get back to states and deal with it. Which we are doing. They did give me a tetnus and phenergan shot for the nausa.

The negative post are going to come regardless, even if I had just posted about my experiences. I posted to see if what I experienced was what people would have wanted to happen to them, with out knowing how it was handled.

If you think it was for Drama, then it was for drama.

Pe4all, they ended up glueing it, though they said it may need to be stiched. They didn't want to shave my head and something about letting the wound bleed. And boy did it, I felt for the cabin steward. Yes done on the ship. The glue burned like the dickens, hurt worse than the injury, but head wounds usually arent too painful to begin with. With only one day left they wanted me to get back to states and deal with it. Which we are doing. They did give me a tetnus and phenergan shot for the nausa.

I guess they wanted the wound to bleed to "wash out" any possible infection. Again, glad to see you are on the mend. Hope you are not turned off from cruising due to this accident.

This question is probably gonna be a free for all but I have a scenario for you.

If you were on a Carnival sponsored tour and in the last 2/3rds of the tour, (the tour is on a catamaran.) You slipped and fell, in turn hitting your head very hard, knocking yourself silly, split the skin and were bleeding enough for it to be rolling down your head and back. How would you expect the crew to act and what would you expect them to do? What would you expect Carnival to do once you were back on shore but still a piece from the ship?

I'll tell you what did happen afterwards. No cheating.

Once I got to the ship I would expect them to show some concern and suggest I visit the infirmary.

If I was on land I dont think I'd expect too much and the reason is simple. Even though its a ship sponsored tour, there's no carnival reps on the tour. All Carnival does to sponsor a tour is advertise it for a local tour company. Then Carnival takes its cut. It really has nothing to do with the ship.

I think it raises a good point about injuries and liability. Also, are tour operators prepared in an emergency? What about non Carnival excursions?

Op, my only advice is to call Carnival. I'm sorry this happened and I'm glad you brought it up.

You're taking the "other" posts well. I'm glad you aren't taking their bait.

I would expect that anyone witnessing the accident (including the crew of the catamaran) would try to stop the bleeding or at least give you a towel or something no matter who they were. I'm not sure what "still a piece from the ship" means (maybe you mis-typed?) but maybe you mean away from the ship? Anyway, I would hope someone would help you make it back to the ship if you needed assistance.

"still a piece from the ship" means they weren't close to the ship.

Us native Georgians are familiar with the colloquialism.

Glad to hear your getting better. I've never gotten travel insurance before, but these kind of stories make you realize just how easy it can be to get into trouble. might check into it before our cruise in December.

I've never gotten travel insurance before, but these kind of stories make you realize just how easy it can be to get into trouble. might check into it before our cruise in December.

Reading a story on here about a 16 year old who had to be med-evaced from a cruise ship due to appendicitis was what made me decide that perhaps a 50-something year old had better consider buying it. Anything can happen to anyone any time. If I can't afford the insurance, I sure as heck can't afford to pay for the med evac and other medical costs that probably would not be covered by my regular insurance.

To the OP, I'm glad you are doing ok. Falling backward and striking your head is the most dangerous way to fall - as you know there is no way to break your fall. It could have been so much worse. Don't recall if you said you saw your regular doctor once you got home. If not, I hope you do. Things can "brew" and show up later, sometimes weeks after a blow to the head.

Being the luckiest cruiser ever, I have actually broken bones twice on excursions.

1) was a ship's excursion thru Royal Caribbean. I ziplined into a tree and broke my leg. I had to stay overnight in the hospital and be flown into the next port to rejoin the ship. The tour operator paid my hospital bill in cash, the cruise line refunded our whole family's tour cost. I was responsible for the plane fare to the next island, but I did have trip insurance, so it was covered.

2) was a private excursion. I fell early in the tour and broke my arm. They splinted it with sticks and did nothing else. I had to continue the whole tour (broke arm at 9:30, returned to ship 5 p.m.). When I got back to the ship, I went to the infirmary where they set and splinted my arm. The tour operators basically did nothing. The people on the ship (Miracle) were really nice-- after the first appointment, the doctor called me at least twice to make sure everything was ok. Again, I had trip insurance; they covered the (very reasonable) medical cost from the ship.

for this reason, I'm sticking with ship excursions from now on. I know they're more expensive, but the private operators couldn't have cared less.

The crew of the sailboat did come help me up ,along with my husband. They gave me shopping bag of ice and a few paper towels and moved me to the back end of the boat. They filled out a report and text messaged the owner of the tour boat. They proceded on with the tour as normal from that point. It did take about 1 hour to get back. Yes there was a quickier route but there may have been reasons for not taking it, I dont know. There was a sweet lady who was a nurse on the tour and she helped me alot by just talking to me. I wish I could have let her know how things turned out. Maybe she reads this board.

Anyways the owner had car waiting but I had to walk a distance to get to it.

The owner told me the ship had been informed. Short car ride, walk thru customs, which was interesting, standing there with blood running and the custom agent just kept looking at our Ids. Wait for a golf cart and ride it to the ship. Went to infirmary. Recieved medical care at no charge. Carnival did make many more reports and called my room a couple of times to check on me.

To answer someones question, we had 1 sea day left on the cruise and I mostly stayed in bed. So atleast it wasnt early in. And to comment on another post, one fear that did race thru my mind was, what if the ship wouldnt let me back on?

Echo very well done, the cheerleaders were waiting for you to attack Carnival so there responses as normal are "read the contract", whether you were dying or not. These same cheerleaders don't say anything when someone jumps off the ship(crewmember or passenger) about there own self responisibility and read the contract. This SELFISH act by jumping even though CARNIVALS contract says you can't , ruins the cruise for many. Hypocrits are many on this board, they obviously have no compassion for your injury but yet they have compassion for a person who would jump and leave his family with grief,bills, and no where to go. Selfish is as selfish does.:mad:

I'm quite surprised at the number of folks who were annoyed by the op's telling of her story. Someone used the words "dribs and drabs" because it wasn't all told in the initial posting. I find this particularly surprising since many of you wait with bated breath when somebody is doing a review and it literally takes weeks. In the case of reviews, to me it makes sense to write the whole darn thing at once and just post it, instead of a sentence or two and drawing it out for weeks. This type of posting rarely receives a complaint, but folks are saying, "Can't wait for the next installment" when I'm thinking, just write the darn thing and be done.

I'm quite surprised at the number of folks who were annoyed by the op's telling of her story. Someone used the words "dribs and drabs" because it wasn't all told in the initial posting. I find this particularly surprising since many of you wait with bated breath when somebody is doing a review and it literally takes weeks. In the case of reviews, to me it makes sense to write the whole darn thing at once and just post it, instead of a sentence or two and drawing it out for weeks. This type of posting rarely receives a complaint, but folks are saying, "Can't wait for the next installment" when I'm thinking, just write the darn thing and be done.

I wish there was an easier way to look at reviews with the original poster and not the 50+ other posters that say stuff like cant wait for the next post/etc..

Echo very well done, the cheerleaders were waiting for you to attack Carnival so there responses as normal are "read the contract", whether you were dying or not. These same cheerleaders don't say anything when someone jumps off the ship(crewmember or passenger) about there own self responisibility and read the contract. This SELFISH act by jumping even though CARNIVALS contract says you can't , ruins the cruise for many. Hypocrits are many on this board, they obviously have no compassion for your injury but yet they have compassion for a person who would jump and leave his family with grief,bills, and no where to go. Selfish is as selfish does.:mad:

Thank you soooo much for posting this. An the nerve of some folks to almost dare people on the same ship to express or even feel some disappointment because they missed an excursion. When a fellow passenger does the same thing, the postings are scathing, but because it's a crew member, for some reason people seem to be more sympathetic.

I fell and broke my hand on a Carnival tour in San Juan (clumsy, I tripped)

They saw me on the ship and told me that because it was a Carnival tour, it would be covered as in (no money upfront and I could bill it through my insurance) I did - plus got a cast when I got home. They put a brace on (my request so I could have it casted at home) There were no charges put on my sign and sail card for the visit and Xrays they took on the ship or the brace they gave me. It was billed and paid to Carnival through my insurance and there was no cost to me.

They told me if I had not been on a Carnival sponsored tour, I would have been billed on my sign and sail card and I would have to get the money back through my insurance.

No I did not have travel insurance and I have regular insurance that does cover me on cruise ships and world wide.

My experience was similiar except I was on an independant tour and broke my wrist (riding ATV's which is a high risk behavior). They were upset that they had to charge me, but I was happy that I was provided with excellent care, and it was only $300 for two x-rays, a brace to get me through until I got home and a Doctor visit. Try finding that bargain in the States.

Two days later, I got a call from Guest Services following up to see how I was. I was quite impressed with the care and follow up for something that was completely my fault.

Being the luckiest cruiser ever, I have actually broken bones twice on excursions.

1) was a ship's excursion thru Royal Caribbean. I ziplined into a tree and broke my leg. I had to stay overnight in the hospital and be flown into the next port to rejoin the ship. The tour operator paid my hospital bill in cash, the cruise line refunded our whole family's tour cost. I was responsible for the plane fare to the next island, but I did have trip insurance, so it was covered.

2) was a private excursion. I fell early in the tour and broke my arm. They splinted it with sticks and did nothing else. I had to continue the whole tour (broke arm at 9:30, returned to ship 5 p.m.). When I got back to the ship, I went to the infirmary where they set and splinted my arm. The tour operators basically did nothing. The people on the ship (Miracle) were really nice-- after the first appointment, the doctor called me at least twice to make sure everything was ok. Again, I had trip insurance; they covered the (very reasonable) medical cost from the ship.

for this reason, I'm sticking with ship excursions from now on. I know they're more expensive, but the private operators couldn't have cared less.

Fruitbat, I'm not picking on you, but maybe you should stay in a lounge chair on the beach with a drink with a pretty umbrella in it. Poor thing! Those were a couple of unfortunate experiences, but you have to admit, ziplining into a tree is a good story.:) Everyone thought it was cool that I broke my wrist riding an ATV instead of just falling down.

My experience was similiar except I was on an independant tour and broke my wrist (riding ATV's which is a high risk behavior). They were upset that they had to charge me, but I was happy that I was provided with excellent care, and it was only $300 for two x-rays, a brace to get me through until I got home and a Doctor visit. Try finding that bargain in the States.

Two days later, I got a call from Guest Services following up to see how I was. I was quite impressed with the care and follow up for something that was completely my fault.

We would sometimes take ships tours and sometimes private, but after this experience, we book only Carnival tours. I want tours that are reseached and backed by Carnival and I have found that there is much research and guarantees that are provided if you book a tour with them. Besides being interviewed on the ship, they called me at home to verify that the tours vendor that did the tour for Carnival was not in any way at fault and the explained the rigorous process of safety documentation they have to provide. I know people advocate going to reviews by people who have taken tours with the vendors and go by those recommendations, but I want more than that and I will pay for what I personally believe is safer for me. I just prebooked tours for our Mediterranean cruise on the Magic (all Carnival tours) and they were over $1200 for my husband and I. Could I have booked tours that were well recommended and cheaper? Of course. Many people safely do that on cruises, but I want the Carnival guarentees that I have personally seen work more than once when we go out on excursions.

Archived