century 10/13 cruise cancelled in Nice

ghstudio

Just spoke to my brother. They are going to Barcelona, then fly out of Frankfurt Germany to JFK in NY....Their tickets cost $2800 and celebrity will reimburse them ONLY $300 each....I think Celebrity will have some problems with people accepting that very low amount for airfare....:mad:

Unfortunately, you don't appear to have the same laws in the United States. However, please read what is written above because it really is only a matter of logic and fairness. Start by initiating chargeback procedures on your credit cards,

Huh? :confused:

Why would you encourage people in the U.S. to initiate chargebacks on their credit cards? That would likely do far, far more harm than good. Celebrity has in the past generally handled these situations fairly for U.S. customers. Sure there are always going to be some disgruntled and angry people when their vacation is marred by an event such as this, but Celebrity in the past has done the right thing. People are already reporting Celebrity is providing full refunds as well as 25% of future cruise as well as some additional compensation. By initiating a chargeback one would risk losing the other comepnsation Celebrity is offering as well as creating uneccessary extra work.

People in the U.S. are advised to carry travel insurance to provide coverage when things go wrong - so those who did so would likely be covered for most/all expenses Celebrity will not be picking up the tab. While it is nice for the EU passengers in this situation to have extra protections, these protections are not "free" but are passed on as additional costs/fees from the cruise line when you make your reservation (i.e. for example deposits not being refundable in the EU). I am not saying one way is better vs. the other, but just that there are pros and cons to both. I agree with you that the EU passengers should hold Celebrity accountable to the EU laws, but I would not encourage US passengers to initiate chargebacks or expect the same level as compensation as EU passengers.

Hope everybody is able to resolve their travel snafus with as little stress as possible and that many are able to salvage their vacation by scrambling to come up with some alternate plans for the week. Also hopefully the problem can be remedied in time for the scheduled upcoming transatlantic voyage.

To the friend above:

Travel insurance is for sudden illness, trip interruption due to third party fault, or sometimes even for supplier default. When the cruise line itself cancels the cruise, it alone is ultimately liable.

If Celebrity is providing refunds plus 25% "certificates", that is a good sign.

However, nobody should be forced to spend $2,800 to get home. It is Celebrity's, and only Celebrity's responsibility to get you home because Celebrity holds the fault in this incident.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

In this type of instance, if an insurance company agrees to pay the claim, it is very likely you would have to sign over your rights against Celebrity, because the insurance company is not going to want to be the deep pocket in something for which Celebrity, and only Celebrity, is responsible.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Dear friends:

Please see my threads on the Volcanic ash and on the Regent Board with regard to the regent Voyager cancellation, and please hold your guns in what is a very tense, disappointing and probably frantic situation.

For my fellow Europeans who purchased their cruises from Celebrity in Europe or from any EU travel agency:

Celebrity must arrange to get you home at no cost to you, not just give you a flat sum of money to "help" with changing your airline tickets.

If they cannot get you home immediately, they must pay for your hotel, meals, surface transportation and telephone calls until they can get you home.

You are entitled to a full refund IN CASH of your cruise, round-trip airline tickets (you wouldn't have flown to Barcelona had the cruise been cancelled and the fact it was cancelled the next day has nothing to do with it) and other related expenses (hotels, tours, etc.) PLUS compensation of 25% of everything you paid (cruise, air, hotels, etc.) in CASH. Do not feel obliged to accept future cruise certificates unless you feel that they are a better offer. All of this must be paid to you within 30 days.

The above is the law in the EU so stick to your rights. There is no need to use any private travel insurance you may have purchased. If you choose to use the travel insurance because you feel it is more convenient, the insurance company will probably ask you to sign over your rights against Celebrity, because the insurance company will not allow Celebrity to evade its legal responsibilities.

U.S. passengers:

Unfortunately, you don't appear to have the same laws in the United States. However, please read what is written above because it really is only a matter of logic and fairness. Start by initiating chargeback procedures on your credit cards, use your travel insurance, make a journal of everything that is happening to you since the announcement that the cruise is cancelled, keep all receipts for expenses you are incurring, and make sure you stick to your guns about what is fair when making your claims with Celebrity.

I hope everyone gets home safe and sound.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

While I very much hope we never run into similar problems (and I so feel for those of you enduring this as I type)--do you happen to know if that same protection applies to noon citizens who are living in the EU and purchased through Celebrity in Europe?

Major bummer:eek:

So sorry your vacation is ruined.. Nice is a lovely place but I expect you planned to see many more nice ports..

We have been putting off buying cruise ins for our summer cruise from Southampton so I think we'll buy it today--it will be with a pvt company--Travelguard --& should cover trip interruptions, cancellations etc....Not sure why everyone says it would not cover this type of circumstance but I will read the policy & inquire before we buy it--it is pricey!

The amt Clebrity has offered would not cover new air tix & change fees.....:mad:

I hope you & those on board can make your new arrangements without too much trouble..but it seems it may be difficult..:(

Dear friends:

The laws have nothing to do about whether you are a citizen. The only requisite is to have purchased your trip through EU channels (the EU office of the cruiseline or an EU travel agent).

If an American happens to be walking down the street in Madrid as a tourist and walks into a travel agency here and purchases a cruise from that travel agency, the American is now covered by the EU laws because the American purchased the trip under an EU contract.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hi Everyone !

To those on the current sailing.... I'm sorry to hear the news. I hope you are able to return home as smoothly as possible.

For those booked on the Transatlantic sailing... at this point - it's still sailing as scheduled. I've been told it should take 4-5 days to repair the rudder damage. They will have 9 days from the time the Drydock begins, until her next sailing on 10/25. As long as there aren't any unforseen circumstances, the TA should be fine. I hope this helps !

This is a good example of why I print all my cruise documents and insurance, put them in a binder, and take them with me on all major trips.

Don't be afraid to read your documents, especially if you run into an issue. I've had issues while traveling and having the documents with me has helped. I think all insurance companies have "just say no" training for all employees. If you can reference your policy and ask questions based on the policy, you should get better answers.

Good Luck to all of you on this ship!

Dear friends:

Please see my threads on the Volcanic ash and on the Regent Board with regard to the regent Voyager cancellation, and please hold your guns in what is a very tense, disappointing and probably frantic situation.

For my fellow Europeans who purchased their cruises from Celebrity in Europe or from any EU travel agency:

Celebrity must arrange to get you home at no cost to you, not just give you a flat sum of money to "help" with changing your airline tickets.

If they cannot get you home immediately, they must pay for your hotel, meals, surface transportation and telephone calls until they can get you home.

You are entitled to a full refund IN CASH of your cruise, round-trip airline tickets (you wouldn't have flown to Barcelona had the cruise been cancelled and the fact it was cancelled the next day has nothing to do with it) and other related expenses (hotels, tours, etc.) PLUS compensation of 25% of everything you paid (cruise, air, hotels, etc.) in CASH. Do not feel obliged to accept future cruise certificates unless you feel that they are a better offer. All of this must be paid to you within 30 days.

The above is the law in the EU so stick to your rights. There is no need to use any private travel insurance you may have purchased. If you choose to use the travel insurance because you feel it is more convenient, the insurance company will probably ask you to sign over your rights against Celebrity, because the insurance company will not allow Celebrity to evade its legal responsibilities.

U.S. passengers:

Unfortunately, you don't appear to have the same laws in the United States. However, please read what is written above because it really is only a matter of logic and fairness. Start by initiating chargeback procedures on your credit cards, use your travel insurance, make a journal of everything that is happening to you since the announcement that the cruise is cancelled, keep all receipts for expenses you are incurring, and make sure you stick to your guns about what is fair when making your claims with Celebrity.

I hope everyone gets home safe and sound.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I know you are trying to be helpful, but somehow your post comes off a bit angry. Did you have a problem with a situation like this before? Why would you tell Americans to start charge back procedures on their credit cards when Celebrity has already agreed to a full refund?

I understand you are explaning your law, but just curious if you are stating the cruise line has to pay for pre-cruise hotels that were used (not canceled) or flights that were used (and yes, I understand a one way can be more expensive). I do agree Celebrity needs to make everyone whole for a mechanical failure, which they are doing by a full refund to everyone (plus 25% towards a future cruise). I also think they should pay for those to get home if cost is more than a change fee (I'm also thinking of those who used FFmiles and now may likely have to pay for a return flight). If someone has trip interruption insurance it will cover many of these extra expenses. However, many will not cover flights paid for with FFmiles (taxes only).

Just spoke to my brother. They are going to Barcelona, then fly out of Frankfurt Germany to JFK in NY....Their tickets cost $2800 and celebrity will reimburse them ONLY $300 each....I think Celebrity will have some problems with people accepting that very low amount for airfare....:mad:

Just curious. Was the cruise suppose to end in Barcelona (I know this is where it started)? Would the same airline they used to fly to Barcelona not put them on another flight?

Does your brother have independant travel insurance. I believe this would be under trip interruption.

Dear friends:

I only get angry because I sense willingness or conformity on the part of passengers to accept unfairness.

Yes, I believe if the cancellation is due to the cruise line itself, the cruise line must restore you to your original financial position as if you had never booked the cruise, and that would include paying for your air home AND refunding your original roundtrip air, plus pre-cruise stays, transfers, etc.

It makes me sick to read stories about passengers paying $2800 to get home, while the cruise line offered them a mere $250 to change their tickets.

I do hope everyone gets home safely, and that everyone is treated fairly by Celebrity.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

To the friend above:

Travel insurance is for sudden illness, trip interruption due to third party fault, or sometimes even for supplier default. When the cruise line itself cancels the cruise, it alone is ultimately liable.

If Celebrity is providing refunds plus 25% "certificates", that is a good sign.

However, nobody should be forced to spend $2,800 to get home. It is Celebrity's, and only Celebrity's responsibility to get you home because Celebrity holds the fault in this incident.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I don't think this is accurate because the trip already started and was "interrupted". They are calling it canceled, but it had started. So, I do believe (in the US anyway) insurance would cover trip interruption, but only to a max extent. Many if most are 150%, some are only 100% of the amount insured. So, if a cruise cost a passenger $5,000.00pp (and they insured that amount), in many cases one would have a policy of $7,500.00 max to cover interruption expenses (Medical and Med Evac have diff limits per each policy), which would be enough to fly home.

I have heard that some of the passengers are heading for Barcelona and a one week cruise on Constellation sailing this Sunday

Voyager of the Seas is in port with Century .. and heading for Barcelona.... how about a rescue at sea? .

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

That sounds like a great solution to the problem. Anything is better than coming home from vacation early. Why spend all that money on return flights, find a hotel, or another cruise and don't come home until you have to :)

Happy cruising...Joanne

From facebook, an angry passenger:

who's gonna pay for all damage in Century ? I'm on century in this moment, anybody give a real solution, no calls, no internet, nothing. Who pay for this night mare? ..offer 25% discount for the next ... I never gonna use this nasty company ...while ... just sandwich on the bout .... we need a loyer to protect our benefits !!

48 minutes ago

I'm normally very pro-cruise line in my thoughts.

But here I think that Celebrity should ante up for not only the full refund but also the cost of travel to Barcelona as well as any additional costs to get home.

This should not be an insurance issue as it is not due to circumstances out of the cruise line's control. A mechanical problem with the ship is the fault of the cruise line and it seems to me that the cruise line should bear full financial responsibility for the problem.

I feel Celebrity should pay for any travel expenses to Barcelona as well. I'm sure that very few, if any, of the passengers would have traveled to Barcelona if not for the cruise and would have cancelled before setting out if the cruise had been cancelled with sufficient time for them to do so.

The subject of incidentals is more complicated and for that I think the cruise line should provide a general cash allowance of several hundred dollars or a much more generous future cruise credit.

To me the offer that has been reported of a full refund, $250 and a 25% cruise credit wouldn't begin to compensate people for their monetary losses let along salvage good will and loyalty due to the loss of vacation time, aggravation and emotional distress that would be associated with such an event.

I'm normally very pro-cruise line in my thoughts.

But here I think that Celebrity should ante up for not only the full refund but also the cost of travel to Barcelona as well as any additional costs to get home.

This should not be an insurance issue as it is not due to circumstances out of the cruise line's control. A mechanical problem with the ship is the fault of the cruise line and it seems to me that the cruise line should bear full financial responsibility for the problem.

I feel Celebrity should pay for any travel expenses to Barcelona as well. I'm sure that very few, if any, of the passengers would have traveled to Barcelona if not for the cruise and would have cancelled before setting out if the cruise had been cancelled with sufficient time for them to do so.

The subject of incidentals is more complicated and for that I think the cruise line should provide a general cash allowance of several hundred dollars or a much more generous future cruise credit.

To me the offer that has been reported of a full refund, $250 and a 25% cruise credit wouldn't begin to compensate people for their monetary losses let along salvage good will and loyalty due to the loss of vacation time, aggravation and emotional distress that would be associated with such an event.

They are agreeing to a full refund and do have a bus to Barcelona (OK, I would not wish to take a 10 hour bus). My guess is that they are offering $250.00 in change fees because most airlines will accept that and will look at a case by case basis for those who have to pay more. They are not going to pay for someone to fly first class who only got there in coach so probably publically stating a limit. Just my guess.

Archived