Galveston help

PG13

Just book a cruise out of Galveston and need some information on 1)how to get from the airport to Galveston? Seems it's quit a ride. Flying into Hobby.

2)And, where's a favorite motel. Booked a real dive in Ft. Lauderdale last cruise, even though the reviews were pretty good, it wasn't, and don't want a repeat. 3)I'm looking at the Hilton on Seawall Blvd?? Any opinions? read aboout a new Holiday Inn that sounded nice, but they can be good/bad. I have no idea where these are located in reverance to port. Never been near here, it's all new. Very nervous about this. I would love to be on or very near a beach, pool would be nice, and won't have a car, so need food nearby. We're from Michigan. This is half the fun, but this is a new area and we'd love some help. CCer's are always great. Pat and Ken:D

There is more than one Holiday Inn in Galveston. We have booked the Holiday Inn Resort on the Beach at 5002 Seawall Blvd because they offer some great rates for Military and Govt employees and also provide shuttle to the pier and free parking. Have never stayed there before but the reviews are good and the price was right. Just make sure you know which Holiday Inn you are researching.

Once you bring up the site and the hotel look where it says Deals at this hotel. click that you will see their Transportation/ shuttle cruise package.

We have the deal booked for February but might have to cancel that cruise.

Good Luck, seems like a great deal.

SpringHill Suites Houston Hobby Airport

7922 Mosley Road

Houston, Texas 77061 USA

Phone: 1-713-943-1713

Fax: 1-713-943-1813

Sales: 1-713-943-1713 ext. 1152

Sales fax: 1-713-943-1813

Toll-free: 1-888-287-9400

Escape! Transportation/Cruise Shuttle Package in Houston

Going on a cruise? Book your transportation package with the SpringHill Suites Houston Hobby Airport!

Rates from: $169

Valid Through: August 13, 2011

Find out more

PROMOTIONAL CODE: TRS

What's this?

Package includes:

• Your choice of a king bed or double bed suite

• Hot buffet breakfast

• Two round trip cruise port shuttle transfers (to the

port of Galveston and port of Houston)

Additional transfers may be purchased at the front desk for $59 (Ages 12 and up) or $49 (ages three to 11). Transfers are free for ages two and under.

Hotel and shuttle operator recommend that all departing flights be scheduled after 1pm. Hotel and shuttle operator are not liable for missed flights due to late cruise ship return, debarkation delays, delays in customs, traffic or inclement weather. Private transportation can be arranged at additional guest expense. Please contact hotel directly for details.

Reservations

Click on the "Check Availability" link to make your reservation on Marriott.com. Be sure that the promotional code TRS appears in the Corporate/Promotional code box when making your online reservation, or call 1-800-228-9290 in the US and ask for promotional code TRS. For toll-free numbers outside the US please click here.

Terms and Conditions

Valid seven days a week through 8/13/11. Free, secure parking during cruise is available at Hobby Avistar Sun Park. Parking is limited to duration of the cruise package purchased. Limited number of rooms are available for this promotion. Tax is additional. Offer does not apply to groups of 10 or more rooms. Offer cannot be combined with any other promotions. Blackout dates may apply. Advance reservations required. Other restrictions may apply. Rates are per room, per night and based on availability at the time of reservations.

Follow up to my previous post....... Link to Holiday Inn on the Beach: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/rs/1/en/hotel/glssb?&cityName=galveston&externalHotelDetailHit=true

Be sure to Request a room with balcony and ocean view. It has an in-hotel restaurant and is also close to other Seawall restaurants - may be within walking distance - not sure - but definately a short taxi ride.

Galveston does have a colorful history with much to explore. We have vacationed many times in Galveston and are planning to arrive a day early (driving from North Texas) so not to be stressed on getting to the pier in time. One thing we want to do, if time permits, is to drive around and see some of the tree carvings that Jack Cross has made from some of the dead trees caused by Hurricane Ike. Here is a link for more info that also contains a link to a slideshow. http://galvestondailynews.com/story/163190

Here is a link to a brochure with a map of the sculptures http://www.galveston.com/treesculptu...e/brochure.pdf

You basically have two choices - staying on the Seawall near the beach or Downtown with some excellent hotels and great historic value.

Hope this helps and welcome to Texas!

We've stayed at Tremont (2x), Hotel Galvez (2x), Hilton (1x) and the older LaQuinta (1x). Tremont, Galvez, and Hilton are great with shuttles to the ship and comfy beds. It was years ago when we stayed at Laquinta and there was no shuttle then, and no working elevator and I would have been more comfortable sleeping on wet, cold, bare concrete than their bed. We were on the 3rd floor and had to haul all luggage up and down, too.

There was great service at Tremont, Galvez, and Hilton, also.

It isn't cheap to get from Houston Hobby to Galveston. Galveston.com lists a shuttle service. For 2 people it isn't too bad of a deal. It will take you to the hotel of your choice. Last time we ended up renting a car because it was nearly the cost of taking a shuttle even with paying for parking for the rental.

We stayed at Hotel Galvez, which was lovely. They had free parking and a shuttle to the cruise. It was a lovely hotel with a lot of charm and a nice (albiet not free) breakfast.

Country Inn & Suites seems very nice also.

This year we are staying at Harbor House, which is located within walking distance of the cruise port. But we will be (probably) renting a vehicle for 3 people it is nearly the same cost as shuttle even though we will be renting it for over a week.

Rental cars are usually cheapest when booked farther out.

Carnival also runs a shuttle to the airport. But it will not take you to a hotel before the cruise. It is strictly airport to cruise and cruise to airport.

Have fun! :)

Personally, I really liked Galveston. We are planning on staying an extra day to see The Strand and visit Murdoch's again.

T. :D Umphess

We get in at 1:00am so will have time to look around and go to the beach. Sounds Like we need to check out the trees too. Thanks, Pat

Follow up to my previous post....... Link to Holiday Inn on the Beach: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/rs/1/en/hotel/glssb?&cityName=galveston&externalHotelDetailHit=true

Be sure to Request a room with balcony and ocean view. It has an in-hotel restaurant and is also close to other Seawall restaurants - may be within walking distance - not sure - but definately a short taxi ride.

Galveston does have a colorful history with much to explore. We have vacationed many times in Galveston and are planning to arrive a day early (driving from North Texas) so not to be stressed on getting to the pier in time. One thing we want to do, if time permits, is to drive around and see some of the tree carvings that Jack Cross has made from some of the dead trees caused by Hurricane Ike. Here is a link for more info that also contains a link to a slideshow. http://galvestondailynews.com/story/163190

Here is a link to a brochure with a map of the sculptures http://www.galveston.com/treesculptu...e/brochure.pdf

You basically have two choices - staying on the Seawall near the beach or Downtown with some excellent hotels and great historic value.

Hope this helps and welcome to Texas!

No way I'm staying there. really wanted a motel with beach and pool. Your the second person to mention staying at the Galvez.

Which Hilton, I had considered that too. The holiday In looks OK they want over $200. Seems HIgh for a holiday Inn, and sometimes they are very dissapointing.

We've stayed at Tremont (2x), Hotel Galvez (2x), Hilton (1x) and the older LaQuinta (1x). Tremont, Galvez, and Hilton are great with shuttles to the ship and comfy beds. It was years ago when we stayed at Laquinta and there was no shuttle then, and no working elevator and I would have been more comfortable sleeping on wet, cold, bare concrete than their bed. We were on the 3rd floor and had to haul all luggage up and down, too.

There was great service at Tremont, Galvez, and Hilton, also.

OK, now three folks mentioned the Galvez. Before I book a motel I'm going to have to check this out. Does it have a pool and is it near the ocean?

I tried to book the Harbor and it's full. Because of spring break, I will need to do it soon or might get stuck in a not so great place again. Really appreciate the transport info. I had considered a car rental, but changed my mind. Don't think we want to drive in a new city, road rage takes away for the pleasure, so I think we'll leave the driving to a shuttle service. I assume Houston is a pretty big city.

THank you everyone. Lots to think about. Pat

[qhote=travelingtriumphess;26489058]It isn't cheap to get from Houston Hobby to Galveston. Galveston.com lists a shuttle service. For 2 people it isn't too bad of a deal. It will take you to the hotel of your choice. Last time we ended up renting a car because it was nearly the cost of taking a shuttle even with paying for parking for the rental.

We stayed at Hotel Galvez, which was lovely. They had free parking and a shuttle to the cruise. It was a lovely hotel with a lot of charm and a nice (albiet not free) breakfast.

Country Inn & Suites seems very nice also.

This year we are staying at Harbor House, which is located within walking distance of the cruise port. But we will be (probably) renting a vehicle for 3 people it is nearly the same cost as shuttle even though we will be renting it for over a week.

Rental cars are usually cheapest when booked farther out.

Carnival also runs a shuttle to the airport. But it will not take you to a hotel before the cruise. It is strictly airport to cruise and cruise to airport.

Have fun! :)

Personally, I really liked Galveston. We are planning on staying an extra day to see The Strand and visit Murdoch's again.

T. :D Umphess

The Galvez is a really nice historic hotel. It is a Wyndam Hotel owned by the Mitchell family. They also own the Tremont and Harbor House. George Mitchell and his family have done a lot to bring Galveston back to its historic days. You will not be sorry booking any of these hotels as well as the San Luis, The Hilton and the Holiday Inn next to the Hilton. They are all owned by the Fertitta family who has also done a lot for the city of Galveston. You would be happy with any of these hotels also. I have stayed in all six of the hotels many times. The Tremont and the Harbor House do not have pools but the other hotels do. The Tremont and the Harbor House are located in the downtown Strand area and the other hotels are located on the Seawall. They all have restaurants within walking distance. Some a little farther than others. The San Luis, Hilton and Holiday Inn probably have more restaurant choices within walking distance. You could walk to IHOP, Landry's Seafood and Rainforest. They are within steps.

If you are flying into Hobby and driving to Galveston you will not be driving thru the downtown Houston area. It is a very easy drive straight down I45 South to Galveston. Impossible to get lost and depending on what time you get into Houston (if it is not during rush hour traffic which is usually between 3-6 weekdays) the traffic usually is not that bad.

Hope this helps.

We love the Hilton and its location. It is on the Ocean and has restaurants and a Kroger next door for all your last minute purchases.

Not sure about all the restaurants close by, but Landry's and Rainforest Cafe are in the same parking lot.

We save weight in our luggage (we fly in) by not packing most toiletries and just go purchase them at Kroger after we check in.

If you want a pool and a view of the gulf, than you need to stay at one of the hotels on the Seawall. Most of the restaurants are in two areas of the Seawall. Between 61st and 47th streets and between 25th and 15th streets. If you stay at hotels on the Seawall in either of these locations you will have several food options to choose from within easy walking distance.

We just got back from our cruise on 10/24/10 and stayed one night at the Hilton after the cruise. The beds were comfy, service was good, nice (cold) pool and the beach was right across the street. Free shuttle to/from hotel. There wasn't a lot to choose from for food options and not much for shopping in walking distance. I thought there was public transportations that went by the hotel but I didn't see any when we were walking (although Sunday's may have a limited schedule). They also do not offer free breakfast but they do have a restaurant and bar in the hotel.

We arrived at the hotel around 11:30 am. We were not able to check in early but they stored our luggage and we could use the pool, etc... We had a few cocktails and a sampler platter of appetizers while watching the football game and it was pretty good. Our room was ready around 3:00 p.m. After we took a nap we decided to eat at Landry's. We chose this because we like to try different restaurants and we have IHOPs and a Rainforest Cafe in MN. There was also a steakhouse close to the hotel but it is closed on Sunday's. The food at Landry's was ok but we didn't order any big meals as we weren't very hungry. Not sure if the food would have been any better if we had appetites. I would probably stay there again but I would check out to see what hotels, shopping and restaurants are closer to the Pier and then decide.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your vacation.

Galvez is lovely - very historic. Prepare yourself for small rooms but we have stayed there many times. On site spa and workout room if that interests you. Pool is fabulous. It is across from the Seawall (read ocean). Small lobby bar, on site restaurant. For breakfast, I recommend Millers Landing. Facing the Gulf, it's a short walk to your left. For dinner, you can't beat Gaidos for seafood - locally owned, been there forever. For a tasty burger, there's The Spot. Both these places are also on the Seawall although you might want to cab it to them.

Oh yeah - the Galvez is haunted but so far we haven't seen or heard anything. :)

Galvez is lovely - very historic. Prepare yourself for small rooms but we have stayed there many times. On site spa and workout room if that interests you. Pool is fabulous. It is across from the Seawall (read ocean). Small lobby bar, on site restaurant. For breakfast, I recommend Millers Landing. Facing the Gulf, it's a short walk to your left. For dinner, you can't beat Gaidos for seafood - locally owned, been there forever. For a tasty burger, there's The Spot. Both these places are also on the Seawall although you might want to cab it to them.

Oh yeah - the Galvez is haunted but so far we haven't seen or heard anything. :)

I totally agree with this...I love the Galvez and looked for ghosts last time, but alas, none were to be seen! ;)

There was a show on this weekend on Travel Channel on Galvez and it's ghosts. I just loved seeing all the great shots of the hotel, especially knowing I would see it in person in 26 days! We've stayed there 6 times now, no ghost sightings and the only horrible noises were the wild wedding party next door a few years ago. It's the only hotel I can think of where you WANT to sit in the lobby and can actually relax.

I would choose The Harbor House. It's nice and right on the pier where you can watch your ship come in, in the morning. So close that it will feel like you can reach out and touch it.

Here is a picture of the Conquest taken by one of our friends who was staying at the Harbor House. I honestly can't remember if this is when we were leaving for one of our cruises or coming back from it.

extra392.jpg

We are staying at the Hilton on Seawall Blvd this time. I got a really good deal on a room for 2 nights. We stayed at the Holiday Inn last time - not impressed. The rooms at the Galvez are small, so you can get into cabin mode for the cruise! But the atmosphere is wonderful. If you are in any hotle advantage programs, check them for specials. That's how I found the one for the Hilton. Guido's is a must, even if you don't like seafood. They have other alternatives.

Galveston beaches are not that great, especially when you compare them to the ones you will visit on the cruise. The Strand is cool, though.

Archived