Carnival or RCCL for next cruise?

Smkymtncpl

I would really love to get some input from cruisers who've been on both lines. We've recently come to love Carnival. At first we were hooked on NCL, loved their freestyle cruising and dining. After having cruised Carnival, then back to NCL, we found that Carnival really had a huge notch up on service. And we've been reformed! LOL. Now we really love the assigned dining and special attention that it brings.

Now, for our next cruise - cause we always have to be ON one or planning one, we are looking at either Carnival Dream or RCL's Freedom of the Seas. I've never been on Royal and part of me wants to check it out, but then another part doesn't want to forgo the great experience on Carnival.

At the time of our next cruise, we'll have a 12 year old - so awesome activities is important.

I'd love to know what people find to be the main difference between these two lines, if there is one.

One thing we love on Carnival is the VIP service we get with embarkation/debarkation because we always book a suite. Do you get that with RCCL?

Appreciate any advice, tips, suggestions ... thanks!!

Are the prices close .. Freedom wins hands down. Its a huge step up ship wise compared to Carnival. Carnival's newest ship Dream, lots of complaints, smell, over crowding .. you just dont hear overcrowding complaints about the bigger Oasis.

Teens especially love RCL because of all the active things to do .. things the Carnival posters will say .. we dont want to pay for the prettier ship with more things to do, we dont care if it is prettier and we dont climb walls, etc.

Freedom has the thing where your son can learn to surf, which is new to that class of ship.

The service you have come to know and love on Carnival, you will also find on RCI. The service on both cruise lines are leaps and bounds better than NCL, IMO.

As for the ships you are considering, I highly suggest the Freedom over the Dream. IMO, the Freedom is superior in every way. The biggest difference is up on the pool deck. Freedom's pool deck is wide open and spread out over 4 main pool areas, the Flowrider, H2O Zone, main pools (x2), and the Solarium pool (adults only). Dream's 2 pool areas are extremely cramped and waaay too small for the number of passengers on board. The main pool feels very enclosed due to there being 2 stories of decks above it, rather than the just 1 as on most cruise ships.

Don't even get me started on how crowded the Dream is.

My family has done both Carnival & RCCL. You can't go wrong with either one. With a 12 year old, I would most definitely go with Freedom of the Seas. Even if it is a couple hundred dollar difference....to my family it would be worth it. There will be others here who will disagree. Each family has their own cruising style they like.

Usually Freedom will cost more because you get more. You have to decide if all the bells and whistles Freedom has that the Dream does not have is worth the $$. If you can find a deal I'd go with the Freedom by a mile and stay away from the overcrowded Dream especially if you enjoy the pools/flowrider etc.

We just got off our first Carnival cruise and will definitely be looking back to RCCL next time. Nothing was exactly "wrong" with this trip, but the best description I can think of is the much-used Wal-Mart analogy. It was like Wal-Mart (calm down people - I mean it in a good way; I shop at Wal-Mart all the time!! :D). A very basic product which delivered absolutely everything it promised at the lowest possible price. Nothing to complain about there.

But just like when I'm shopping, if I want something a little more "special" I'm not going to Wal-Mart. I agree with the rest of the posters who have told you to go with the Freedom; the ship will blow you away compared to Carnival. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. IMO the food on Carnival IS NOT better than RCCL. Not worse necessarily, but totally not better. And what's with that nasty chocolate cake thing with all the uncooked dough in the middle? Wow, just wow...:rolleyes:

Wow ... thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Hubby and I just finished reading all the replies. I'm actually glad to hear of all the really favourable reviews for Freedom, because our son has been bugging us to go on that ship. So, sorry Dream, looks like you lose on this one.

We're probably looking at March break 2012, but we look forward to posting our review when we get back.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to give us your thoughts.

Happy cruising!!

I have been on carnival, RCCL, Disney and princess. 2 years ago we went on the Freedom of the seas. The cost for a balcony room for a family of 4 was around $5000. The ship was beautiful and the kids had a great time. We had a terrible experience every night in the dining room. From the steak being so tough you could not chew it, asking for a house salad and not being able to get it because it was not on the menu that night. We were very disappointed in our service all around and the food. That being said, we still had a great time. Carnival cost us so much less, and the food and service is always great. My husband and I r booked for feb. on the carnival freedom in a balcony room for $599 pp. If i got that kind of deal on RCCL, I would try again, but not when it is thousands difference. Either way you cant go wrong, if money is not an issue try RCCL.

For any other Carnival ship, I'd suggest going Carnival again, but for the Dream,,,,well,,,,I haven't done her, (Canceled my cruise aboard Dream, and did "Miracle" instead) but I've not read a lot of positive comments about that ship. In view of the fact that you'll have a youngin' with you, I'd absolutely suggest that you go RCI for this one. I've done other LARGE RCI ships, and they're not for me, but others seem to love them. I prefer the smaller RCI ships, but as noted above, I don't do rock walls, flow riders, and zip lines, so relaxing without crowds are my forte'. Book the Freedom. You'll like it.

"SKY"

We have done 8 carnival cruises and one RCI, I would def go RCI again, the service was top notch. I think cruise lines are much like food, depends what you like to eat but as far as service, activities and class of passengers, we liked RCI better BUT will go Carnival again if the price is right :) We don't travel with kids anymore but i believe RCI will keep your children more entertained, giving parents some alone time.

All I can say is we just returned from a cruise on Carnival Dream and it WAS (a dream, that is). I *never* felt crowded or that it was over crowded. In fact, this was our first cruise where there were deck chairs BY THE POOL anytime we looked.

The kids camps looked fabulous.

We did not have an unpleasant cruise... not even an unpleasant moment on our cruise. I can't wait to sail Carnival Dream again.

Just wanted at least ONE positive statement from someone that cruised her and experienced it themselves.

I think you owe it to yourself to give Royal Caribbean a try. This way you can form your own opinion on which cruiseline you like the best. I've sailed on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and Carnival and while I prefer Royal Caribbean I also sail on Carnival.

Too many people here are cheerleaders of one particular line and that is fine with me. I just feel that each individual owes it to themselves to make up their own minds about a cruiseline and not go on the advice of strangers.

Having cruised both lines numerous times, I find them much more similar than different. I usually end up booking with Carnival because of the cost factor. If I paid the extra bucks that RCCI usually charges, I could not afford to cruise as often.

Excellent advice, Lady Cruiser!

I've been curious about RCCL for awhile now, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Previously, we'd sang NCL's praises, had absolutely wonderful cruises with them. The Dawn and Star are beautiful ships and we loved the food - so much variety! Then, after trying Carnival, we decided that we preferred that line. The staff seem to cater to you a little more, although we were initially disappointed with the lack of overall variety in food, compared to NCL. MDR had better variety, though. I don't think any one line is perfect, but it's a matter of finding which one is best for you. I personally don't think I could have a bad time on a cruise ship! :D

FYI - RCCL was recently voted as having the worst food on the cruise lines so just sayin... I have never sailed with RCCL - was going to but after checking prices we decided to stay with Carnival, perhaps if we were taking a 12 year old with us we would take the Freedom of the seas as there definitely seems to be more exciting things to do... for us we are going for total relaxation, so rock climbing and flowriders are not a selling point for us....enjoy your cruise whatever you decide to do!

We just got off our first Carnival cruise and will definitely be looking back to RCCL next time. Nothing was exactly "wrong" with this trip, but the best description I can think of is the much-used Wal-Mart analogy. It was like Wal-Mart (calm down people - I mean it in a good way; I shop at Wal-Mart all the time!! :D). A very basic product which delivered absolutely everything it promised at the lowest possible price. Nothing to complain about there.

But just like when I'm shopping, if I want something a little more "special" I'm not going to Wal-Mart. I agree with the rest of the posters who have told you to go with the Freedom; the ship will blow you away compared to Carnival. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. IMO the food on Carnival IS NOT better than RCCL. Not worse necessarily, but totally not better. And what's with that nasty chocolate cake thing with all the uncooked dough in the middle? Wow, just wow...:rolleyes:

We sailed Freedom last year and it was beautiful! My son was 13 yo at the time we went on a 4 day carnival to atlantis before we left on the Freedom. We are sailing Carnival Dream for this spring break so I will have a better comparison. Freedom was awesome I would definitely go again. The water areas are outstanding. I thought the food was very good. We had a Jr. Suite and it was the biggest room we have booked we loved it but the price was right! I like to try different boats and lines to form my own opinion but I also read through others. He actually liked the kids program better on Carnival but maybe it was because it was a smaller boat and the Freedom was more difficult to meet people. He is very social! I will report back after this March. :D

FYI - RCCL was recently voted as having the worst food on the cruise lines so just sayin... I have never sailed with RCCL - was going to but after checking prices we decided to stay with Carnival, perhaps if we were taking a 12 year old with us we would take the Freedom of the seas as there definitely seems to be more exciting things to do... for us we are going for total relaxation, so rock climbing and flowriders are not a selling point for us....enjoy your cruise whatever you decide to do!

I saw that poll also about RCCL having the worst food on the cruise lines. I just got off RCCL and would have to totally disagree with that. I like Carnival and RCCL about equally so I alternate between the cruiselines every other cruise. I told my husband we dont eat dinner at the same restaurant every week, so we should have 2 cruise lines we stick with. Luckily he agreed with me. I am sure whichever line you pick you will have a wonderful time!

Go Freedom, best cruise I ever taken. Just came off a Carnival cruise, worse cruise I ever been on. There is so much to do on Freedom, I been on 10 RCL cruises. Will never go on Carnival again!

Definitely go Carnival. RCL is soooo overrated for their inflated prices. Bad food, bad service, small rooms. All for 150% more than Carnival. But you can rock climb! LOL.

I came off the Dream this month also and really enjoyed it. I posted my review. I was not plagued with a lot of the things I heard complaints about and I am glad I didn't know about CC until after my cruise because I probably wouldn't have booked. Glad I did.

Definitely go Carnival. RCL is soooo overrated for their inflated prices. Bad food, bad service, small rooms. All for 150% more than Carnival. But you can rock climb! LOL.

According to your signature, you've never been on Freedom, nor RCI for that matter. If you've never been on FOS, what would motivate you to post something like this? Other than FOS typically being more expensive, there is no truth to anything else you said.

Archived