Carnival and hurricanes: worst case onboard experiences

steve4031

Im looking at august cruise and see that rates are significantly lower for 7 day cruise than in June. I understand and accept the risks associated with hurricanes such as missed ports and flight issues. Travel insurance would be purchased.

Knowing that carnival will avoid the storms, what us the worst conditions that one might experience. How likely is it that one would experience the worst case scenario.

Knowing that carnival will avoid the storms, what us the worst conditions that one might experience. How likely is it that one would experience the worst case scenario.

"Worst" case scenario is that your cruise is cancelled altogether and you don't find out until you've already flown down to Miami, the hurricane is headed to Miami, all flights are cancelled as well, you can't fly out, and all the hotels are full! :eek:

Although that's a far fetched possiblity, more likely, you might have:

-An alternate itinerary

-Cancelled ports replaced by days at sea

-Shortened or lengthened itinerary (if the ship can't make it back to the port of embarkation)

-Ship returning to a different port of debarkation (once again if the ship can't make it back to the original port of embarkation)

-Cancelled cruise

In more than 20 cruises, we've dealt with a port replacement (In 2005, piers in Cozumel were destroyed so we went to Costa Maya instead), and on another cruise, we sailed to the Bamahas for 2 nights instead of 3.

My worst case was during Ike. Carnnival wouldnt go online and find out where Ike was within 24 hours of its hitting, said internet was run by a 3rd party, the substitute CD said no one was allowed online of the Carnival reps.

Turned in the last 24 hours and wiped out our cars in Galveston. We were taken to New Orleans, with only one free phone call plus we got $25 for missing Caymans. Paid $200 for extra medications when told they didnt know when or where they could take us back to on Saturday while we were still in Cozumel.

We left sunday .. the hurricane didnt hit until early saturday a.m. It was forecast to hit Mexico when I left.

Besides losing all my Hawaiian CD collection Id bought on ebay, that wasnt covered by insurance, just my car, the cost of getting home plus $200 in meds (will bring a extra whole weeks worth if traveling again with someone on meds).

The aggravation of dealins with storm insurance (which turns out is not handled the same as if I had a car accient). Never saw my car again and never been to New Orleans before and had to get me and two handicapped cruisers home that I was responsible for. (never take a guest again if I can help it).

Someone will point out the ship eventually went back to Houston .. but when we had to get off and go thru customs this had not yet been arranged or announced. 300 people got back on the ship (we were allowed that, but I went home, who knew), and went to Houston on Conquest.

By the way, we've dealt with far more issues related to technical issues than due to hurricane season issues:

• San Juan: Propulsion problems (had an extra day at sea and couldn't make it back to the port of debarkation until 5pm)
  • Santo Domingo: Cancelled port due to debris scattered at the entrance to the port
  • Halifax, NS: Arrival time changed from 8am to 2pm because the ship had to deviate to Yarmouth the night before due to a medical emergency.
  • Curacao: Ship had to return because they had to get a passenger with apendicitis off the ship.
  • New York: Strong currents on the Hudson river prevented the ship from docking until almost 1pm, making many passengers miss their flight home.

On one cruise it got really rough with gray pounding rain, high, howling winds-70 miles plus and a whole lot of seasick people. Now if you don't get seasick it isn't really that big of a deal. The Lido and MDR were both pretty empty for a day and a night and then we got into calmer waters. The evening show was cancelled because it was too dangerous for the dancers on stage. The ship was rocking and rolling. We did have to leave a port a lot earlier than planned so our tour and most of the other tours for that port were cancelled because of the storm. I talked to a ship's officer at dinner on the Lido and he said you are safer out at sea than on shore during these storms. They always take the ships out to sea and one's never been lost at sea so you will be very safe even in a bad storm.

I would be ok. Not so sure about girlfriend. How often do these diverted cruises experience rough seas.

2 out of 3 Ecstasy cruises had barf bags now I think.

First one was over Halloween, so still hurricane season, and we had waves over 25 ft for more than 24 hours. We made all our ports, though we didnt geet much pool time onboard due to the rain.

How often do these diverted cruises experience rough seas.

Hard to tell. We sailed the day after hurricane Katrina hit Miami and we had the smoothest seas we've experienced in a long time. It literally looked like a glassy lake under clear skies as we departed Miami.

I know that you're trying to get a good idea of how hurricane season will be like, but only God truly knows.

2005 was a horrendous year to cruise during hurricane season, but 2006 was wonderful. You could sail one week and have a completely uneventful clear weather cruise, and then the following week you could be diverting and dealing with choppy seas.

IF you wish to take advantage of fall pricing, do so fully understanding and accepting that your cruise plans may be different than what you expect them to be. SO many people cruise during hurricane season and then they raise hell, riot, and demand compensation when the ship needs to deviate!

In '04, my first cruise was extended by 2 days, as Tampa was closed to incoming ships after Hurricane Frances hit. For us, it was not that big of a deal, since we drove to the port, but for many, it meant additional expenses in terms of flights missed and other coincidentals. We simply had to pay for an additional couple of days of boarding for our dogs.

We have cruised during hurrican season twice now and will be doing so again in Sept 2011.

But at a savings of 400 dollars this might be the only way for me to do a 7 day on my budget with my work place logistics. I'm a teacher, and missing school is not really an option IMHO.

I am a frequent traveler. I try to have a plan A and plan B and sometimes plan C. I would not be mad at changes in itinerary or a canceled cruise. After reading posts about this, I believe that in general Carnival has constantly compensated passengers more than legally required. At this point I think this is a solid gamble.

I'll have travel insurance. If the cruise is canceled, I can always rebook. If we miss ports, there are more sea days to explore the ship. Or maybe a surprise new port.

Ironically, I'm exploring an august sailing of the legend to Belize. After noticing the price difference, I got on cc and looked at the storms section and saw Richard was approaching Belize. I'm Still gonna do it lol.

Worst case is you end up going somewhere completely different than you planned, and perhaps coming back to or leaving from a different port city than you planned.

Not really difficult to deal with, since hurricanes do not sneak up on you while you are not looking. They are very slow and predictable, and any changes will be communicated in time for people to change travel plans.

Definitely purchase travel insurance, since it can be expensive to change travel plans!

• 3 months later...
Im looking at august cruise and see that rates are significantly lower for 7 day cruise than in June. I understand and accept the risks associated with hurricanes such as missed ports and flight issues. Travel insurance would be purchased.

Carnival will do everything to keep the ship out of the hurricane. Ships can actually outrun them.

Worst that could happen to you is missing a port, sailing one day earlier or later, arriving one day earlier or later. or even leaving or arriving at a different port from which you sailed.

But the ship WILL sail.

We were sailing on Valor in Aug. of 2007, and we had our whole itinerary changed due to Hurricane Dean.(were supposed to do Western - did Eastern instead) Dean destroyed Costa Maya, which was supposed to be our last stop. I can't tell you how many people on the cruise were p.o.'d that they were "inconvenienced" by a hurricane which killed people, and was one of the most damaging ones ever. Idiots

August, 1992 - caught the tail end of andrew returning to NY from Bermuda. Worst seas I have ever been through.

Hard to tell. We sailed the day after hurricane Katrina hit Miami and we had the smoothest seas we've experienced in a long time. It literally looked like a glassy lake under clear skies as we departed Miami.

I know that you're trying to get a good idea of how hurricane season will be like, but only God truly knows.

...!

August 2005; Had to deviate around Katrina in the gulf to get to galveston. Very rough, but made it back before she hit land. :)

The worst case , would be drowning in the high seas never to sail again.

Exactly. Even in rain and wind and heavy seas, you're still cruisin'. :cool:

Archived