loo rolls

bonniecharlie

I have jokingly said i will take my own loo(toilet) roll with me next time I cruise, as what they put in the cabins are like tracing paper, I'm sure I have read a review about this subject, I suspect it's cutting prices but this is false economy

I think the provided paper is of a kind that is better bio-degradable in the black-water tanks aboard the ships. You certainly don't want to clog up the works ... literally.:eek:

I have jokingly said i will take my own loo(toilet) roll with me next time I cruise, as what they put in the cabins are like tracing paper, I'm sure I have read a review about this subject, I suspect it's cutting prices but this is false economy

I've never found the TP on cruise ships to be any worse, and found it mostly better, than any I came up close and personal with in Great Britain.:p

slightly OT, but if you all get a chance to go to Bannister Island while in Belize, the bathrooms on that island kindly request that NO TP or anything else go in the toilet and there is a trash can placed beside the toilet for you to place any soiled tissues. I suspect that it drains directly into the ocean. As long as you're the first one to use the toilet that day I guess that's an 'ok' plan ;)

slightly OT, but if you all get a chance to go to Bannister Island while in Belize, the bathrooms on that island kindly request that NO TP or anything else go in the toilet and there is a trash can placed beside the toilet for you to place any soiled tissues. I suspect that it drains directly into the ocean. As long as you're the first one to use the toilet that day I guess that's an 'ok' plan ;)

WOW, I've never straddled a trash can before.:p:D

For the novices who do not understand marine vacuum toilets, the dissolvability of the paper is critical to keeping your toilet in working order.

Since as many as 90 different toilets are connected to the same vacuum line, clogging your toilet can clog all those others as well.

Next time your cabin toilet stops working for several hours, while the engineers are hacksawing the pipes, standing in a shower of human sewage, while trying to find the wad of supersoft toilet paper blocking the system, you can thank one of your fellow cruisers whose bottom is just too delicate to touch regular paper.

I've never found the TP on cruise ships to be any worse, and found it mostly better, than any I came up close and personal with in Great Britain.:p

Well at least it's not newspaper! All I can say is you've never been to my house or anybody else's I know. :p

You've either not been to GB for 50 years or using the grotty 'lavs' in the street and benefitting from good old Izal. LOL!!! :)

You are suppose to buy special TP for boats and RVs. It falls apart faster and won't clog the system. Maybe this is what you have on a ship but I haven't found it different than what I use at home. Maybe OP uses Charmin, the SOFT TP!

Actually, this is not particular to Bannister Island or Belize. In Mexico and a number of Central and South American countries I have been to, the practice was to dispose of toilet tissue in the trash can next to the toilet. Automatically dropping the TP in the toilet was a really hard habit to break.

Actually, this is not particular to Bannister Island or Belize. In Mexico and a number of Central and South American countries I have been to, the practice was to dispose of toilet tissue in the trash can next to the toilet. Automatically dropping the TP in the toilet was a really hard habit to break.

Yes, I've seen these notices in many countries. I think it has more to do with their sewer systems, which are not able to handle flushing paper products.

It is very hard to remember not to drop the TP in the toilet--a reflex it's difficult to break.

I have jokingly said i will take my own loo(toilet) roll with me next time I cruise, as what they put in the cabins are like tracing paper, I'm sure I have read a review about this subject, I suspect it's cutting prices but this is false economy[/quote]

Oh definitely, it is not to save money!..;)

As a matter of fact we too had to use Marine TP on our boat & it was much more expensive (approx $1.50 - $1.60 a roll) while the softer tissue which you purchase for home in your Supermarket is about .60 -.70 a roll..

As others have said do not use tissues, or your own TP in your cabin toilet...we take our own small plastic bags to put discarded things such as Cottonelle wipes in...

Enjoy your cruse sans your own bathroom tissue..

Cheers....:)Betty

I don't take my own TP for use while on-board; however, I do take TP and wipes when we are on excursions (especially foreign countries).

I save a few rolls that are "almost" empty and can easily be flattened. A flattened roll and a few wipes can easily slip into a small zip-lock bag. This along with a travel size hand sanitizer and I'm GOOD to GO. LOL

Archived