Sugars and Sweetners

User Error

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off a nice week on Caribbean Princess (CB). All of the sweetener says "Nutrasweet" on the back, regardless of packet color. Yes, that is right. Pink packets, Blue packets, and Yellow packets all say "Nutrasweet" (aspartame) on the back. None say Splenda (sucralose). This is a very dangerous deception because some people should not be consuming aspartame and will use the "yellow" packet thinking it is Splenda, but is is NOT.

I just got off a nice week on Caribbean Princess (CB). All of the sweetener says "Nutrasweet" on the back, regardless of packet color. Yes, that is right. Pink packets, Blue packets, and Yellow packets all say "Nutrasweet" (aspartame) on the back. None say Splenda (sucralose). This is a very dangerous deception because some people should not be consuming aspartame and will use the "yellow" packet thinking it is Splenda, but is is NOT.

I have also seen splenda available onboad, the real splenda. If you don't see what you want, it's always best to ask. ;)

To be really safe about what you're using......Bring your own! It's very light to pack and, you can slip a packet or two into your purse or pocket before you go to the dining room or buffet.

I always bring some packets of "Crystal Light" Peach Iced Tea when I cruise or travel. It's so easy to get a glass of water and ice and drop a packet into it, stir and you have your favorite flavor of Iced Tea wherever you go!!! ;) Also very easy to carry in your purse or pocket.

On the Emerald they do have raw cane sugar, don't know about any other ship but I'd venture the same.

Jim

They've had "Sugar In The Raw" on every ship we've been on... that's what we use... it's only 20 calories per packet. Much healthier than the man-made stuff.

Just got off the Emerald on 11/8--I too looked at the sugar packets due to discussion on this board. All of the fake sugar, no matter the color, is Nutrasweet. If you look at the back of the package, they are all marked Nutrasweet. There is Sugar in the Raw (or at least a brown packet with brownish sugar) and the regular white packets. Unless you must avoid refined sugar totally, I too would use the sugar in the raw.

Being in the medical profession for many years.....now in the non-profit world.....unless you are consuming a bathtub full a day of artificial sweetners you're body/brain will be fine.

I don't recommend that artificial sweetners be given to babies or young children.....it has absolutely no nutritional value. Our bodies know exactly what to do with this stuff......eliminate it!!!!!

Archived