Air Conditioning necessary for Rome in summer??

wantocruisemore

We've narrowed down our pre-cruise rental seach to 2 places. One is larger w/more bedrooms (there's 9 of us), 2nd floor but it does not have air conditioning. Description says it is in a restored building that has stone walls that keeps things cool. Other place has 1 less bedroom (girls would have to use fold-out sofa) and 1 less bathroom, 2nd floor, but has air conditioning. From the photos it appears the air consists of a few window units. Both rentals are in a great location and the price of the larger is only minimally greater than the other. Both have washing machines, internet etc. so comparable in other ways. All reviews I could find on both places were great.

It's been a long time since I was in Rome in the summer. I know it gets very hot and humid, but we're from the South and it gets very hot/humid here too. We have friends that rented a villa outside Oriveta this past July that did not have air and they said it was fine, no problems, due to the stone walls. I know cities can get hotter than out in the countryside.

What are some of your experiences? I know some of the hotels do not have air either. I also noticed that alot of the rentals do not. We will be there late June, early July.

Well, yes it is warm -- often hot -- and humid in Rome during the time you'll be there. But a lot depends on your personal tolerances and expectations.

I read posts here of people who aren't happy unless the air conditioning in their cabin or hotel is around 65 degrees. Personally, I'd be freezing at those temps. I am also from the South, and I tend to keep the A/C on minimally and the temperature inside my house in the summer is generally just below 80. If that is what you are used to at home, it's a starting point. I suggest you also look at some weather websites that will give you average historic temps (as well as highs and lows) for particular days for any given destination. www.wunderground.com is one that I frequently use.

However, you should also consider that at home you may not be out in the hot sun all day walking, climbing up/down steps and over ruins. Yes, some of the time you'll be inside buildings or museums, but much of Rome is best seen by walking around it.

IMHO, and I've been to Rome many times, I would be very hesitant to book the apartment without any air.

We spent 2 weeks in Rome this year (last week in April and first week of May.) The last week in April was hot and our hotel hadn't turned on their A/C yet. It was too hot to sleep. They turned on the air after our first 2 nights and it was fine. The following week was not as hot and we could have lived without the A/C, but we still used it at night because the street noise was so loud. (We live in a subdivision that is quiet at night. We were so tired at night we could have slept through some noise, but not as much as Rome has.)

So we would not go to Rome without A/C from mid-April through mid-November. (We were in Rome in mid November last year and it was also hot then.)

You've got time to look for other options. Personally, I wouldn't want to make anybody sleep on a fold out sofa.

I would opt for A/C. However, know that European A/C is rarely anything like what most places have in the US. I would say it is more subtle;)

I also agree with cruisemom42, it is really overdoing it when we crank our A/C up to bring the room temp down to 65. 75 should be reasonably tolerable for most. Plus, it eases the shock when you step outside into the hot and humid. Might save a little energy. Lots of A/C gives me a hoarse throat.

European A/C is rarely anything like what most places have in the US. I would say it is more subtle;)

Love your description! :D

I've spent a lot of time in Rome over the past decade, but I deliberately avoided the city in July and August until last summer. I like heat myself, but even I was wilted by the end of a day trip from Civitavecchia. I don't have AC in my home because I really don't like it, and don't need it most of the time as I live on the side of a tree covered mountain where it's usually quite cool at night. However, I can imagine that it would be difficult to sleep in Rome in the middle of summer without AC.

Thanks all. You've convinced me I really need to get a place with A/C. I've sent an inquiry for them to clarify to make sure about the air. Another apartment on their site did not have the air checked off but on two other rentals sites it said it was air cond.

If not, we may go with the smaller place and the girls have to rough it on the sofa. It would not be ideal but bigger will not help if we're miserable from the heat.

It's not easy finding a place in Rome that will accommodate 9. I have been searching now for over a month. Especially since we want in walking distance to the main sites and in an area that teens can safely wander around by themselves.

Thanks all. You've convinced me I really need to get a place with A/C. I've sent an inquiry for them to clarify to make sure about the air. Another apartment on their site did not have the air checked off but on two other rentals sites it said it was air cond.

If not, we may go with the smaller place and the girls have to rough it on the sofa. It would not be ideal but bigger will not help if we're miserable from the heat.

It's not easy finding a place in Rome that will accommodate 9. I have been searching now for over a month. Especially since we want in walking distance to the main sites and in an area that teens can safely wander around by themselves.

I suspect your kids will be happier with air conditioning and a sofabed than with bed and no A/C, if they are like mine! I hope you enjoy your stay.

Archived