What camera do you recommend?

Berk987

Sorry, can't guess what the problem would be since you live in NY. Could it be higher taxes? That would be my only guess.

My guess is that there's sales tax charged when a NY resident purchases from a NY store. But there's no tax when purchased from an out of state vendor with no in-state presence.

My guess is that there's sales tax charged when a NY resident purchases from a NY store. But there's no tax when purchased from an out of state vendor with no in-state presence.

That is not technically true...if a New York resident purchases something from an out of state vendor who has no presence in the state, the vendor is not required to collect the sales tax but it is the obligaton of the purchasee to report and pay the tax when filing his or her state income tax. State tax officials tried to change that and lost. This is an ongoing fight where many states' tax officials want a national sales tax but so far the Congress hasn't bitten.

The same rule was true in RI. There is no sales tax charged when the sale is made, but the buyer is under obligation to report and pay.

That was changed here somewhat to pull in taxes from Internet sales. It's something to the effect that if the vendor is accessed through a local link, then the vendor must charge and collect the tax. (I probably have the details a tad---just a tad---off.)

What's the name of the camera? If that's true, that would be really cool! I was just going off what B&H Photo told me :-) I shoot Canon, but I've heard the Nikon D300 is a great camera!

I really LOVE the Nikon D300. it is a fantastic camera. I have to go and find the new Nikon Model Number. I.ll post it in the morning on this thread. I was going t o buy one today, but got sidetracked....... ...This working for a living has got to end, it is beginning to get in the way of cruising Ha

The same rule was true in RI. There is no sales tax charged when the sale is made, but the buyer is under obligation to report and pay.

That was changed here somewhat to pull in taxes from Internet sales. It's something to the effect that if the vendor is accessed through a local link, then the vendor must charge and collect the tax. (I probably have the details a tad---just a tad---off.)

NYS tried this with somebody; it might be Amazon, I'm not sure claiming they were being accessed through local web sites and hence had a presence in New York State...I'm a tad hazy on all the details but I think they and Newegg started collecting sales tax on NY orders....they saw a lot of lost business and stopped or maybe they won a court case or something. But the state tax departments are still trying to go after people who evade sales taxes by purchasing out of state and they're still trying to get Congress to pass some kind of law taxing all sales on the internet and then distributing the money to the various states. Hasn't got through yet with the operative word being, of course, yet.

this will click, click, click at 10 frames per second, and shoot HD videos at 30 frames per second. Has a great wide angle to zoom lens all in one. Will even take very decent pics in relatively low light. It will do all of the thinking for you and at $299 is right in your budget. It is refurbished, but I trust this dealer completely. Here is the link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/718235-REG/Nikon_26212B__Refurbished_CoolPix_P100_Digital.html

this will click, click, click at 10 frames per second, and shoot HD videos at 30 frames per second. Has a great wide angle to zoom lens all in one. Will even take very decent pics in relatively low light. It will do all of the thinking for you and at $299 is right in your budget. It is refurbished, but I trust this dealer completely. Here is the link.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/718235-REG/Nikon_26212B__Refurbished_CoolPix_P100_Digital.html

Well, hey. I have been looking at the Nikon 5000, a DSLR, but the $850 price tag has been scaring me away. I used to use an SLR years ago, but I'm not sure I want to get back into that. The price included the standard lens as well as a 55-200 telephoto lens. Good deal at Costco.

This Nikon 100 may be the compromise I've been looking for. A new one is $50 cheaper at Costco than at B &H, and though I'd pay sales tax, I also have the protection Costco is so good at and I'd get credits on my annual rebate. So thanks for the tip. This may be it for me.

You don't sound like you are one that wants a DSLR with interchangable lens that go click click click. Actually those like the Canon TI and D3100 don't click click that fast anyways. If you want clicks you need to move to a Canon7D, Nikon D300 or better models. These are all big and expensive and complicated, and most people use 10% of the capability anyways.

Here is a good site to read summarys:http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM

If you must have super fast look at the Casio EX-FC150 it can do some pretty cool things like 210 clicks a second and is small and not too expensive ;)

I'm in desperate need of a new one. My current one is a Sony, about 5 years old and giving me problems. I'm not a techy, need something simple, nice focus and can capture my little kids running around. Nothing fancy but I like to try one of those that goes click, click, click really fast. I'm a basic look and shot type of gal. Under $500 possible? Don't need a lot of fancy lenses. Light and portable. Light being the key since I hate lugging things around with me. With kids I've got to carry the snacks, water bottles, crayons, workbooks, suntan location, hand gel etc. (you get the picture). Won't take it to the park or the beach much but for vacations would be good. I'll keep the small one for the parks, beaches and field trips. Thanks.

I really LOVE the Nikon D300. it is a fantastic camera. I have to go and find the new Nikon Model Number. I.ll post it in the morning on this thread. I was going t o buy one today, but got sidetracked....... ...This working for a living has got to end, it is beginning to get in the way of cruising Ha

OK so as promised, here is a link to the new Nikon P7000 camera.

http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=9784&mfg=Nikon&tab=2#specs

Until about a year ago, I was Not a fan of digital cameras. When I traveled, I would bring along 2 Olympus *****-4T Bodies, a bunch of lenses and lots of film, and a point & shoot film camera. A friend of mine, who is a National Geographic photographer, convinced me to go digital and since I got the D-300, and the Sony Point & shoot, the film cameras have stayed on the shelf. The only thing I didn't like was that the Sony was slow. Now looks like I can have the best of both.

I looked at the specs for the Nikon camera and its price tag as listed on the link. Not meaning to be disrespectful to anybody as I am sure their expertise in most cases is greater than mine but...

I spent 1/2 as much for my Panasonic ZS7.....it has I believe a maximum of 12 megapixels, it has the ability to set the aperture or the shutter manually and total manual controls...it does HD movies at 30 fps not 24fps as listed on this camera...it has a GPS if that's important (the ZS5 is essentially the same camera without the GPS)..it has a Leica lens...the only thing it seems to lack is a view finder but the display is so clear and good enough to see even in daylight.

So here's my question, while I don't for one second doubt how good this camera is, there must be something I'm missing to make this camera worth $500 and mine $250 and mine is much much smaller and easier to "lug" around.

Thank you for any experts who can explain to me what I'm missing...

BTW there are many point and shoot camera even cheaper than this one with less of a zoom and less ability to make manual settings. Unless a person is a serious photographer interested in selling his or her pictures, at least to my untrained eye, for the vast majority of tourists, the point and shoot camera do a good enough job for almost all their needs. Or again, if you disagree you can help me with my next camera purchase, by telling me why.

Thank you.

I looked at the specs for the Nikon camera and its price tag as listed on the link. Not meaning to be disrespectful to anybody as I am sure their expertise in most cases is greater than mine but...

I spent 1/2 as much for my Panasonic ZS7.....it has I believe a maximum of 12 megapixels, it has the ability to set the aperture or the shutter manually and total manual controls...it does HD movies at 30 fps not 24fps as listed on this camera...it has a GPS if that's important (the ZS5 is essentially the same camera without the GPS)..it has a Leica lens...the only thing it seems to lack is a view finder but the display is so clear and good enough to see even in daylight.

So here's my question, while I don't for one second doubt how good this camera is, there must be something I'm missing to make this camera worth $500 and mine $250 and mine is much much smaller and easier to "lug" around.

BTW there are many point and shoot camera even cheaper than this one with less of a zoom and less ability to make manual settings. Unless a person is a serious photographer interested in selling his or her pictures, at least to my untrained eye, for the vast majority of tourists, the point and shoot camera do a good enough job for almost all their needs. Or again, if you disagree you can help me with my next camera purchase, by telling me why.

Thank you.

It's complicated... :) But, the camera industry in the last five years or so has gotten into marketing "megapixels". And a MP is not a MP. Quality matters much more than quantity. So, sensor quality matters a great deal.

Even if you have a good camera body, a lens can make all the difference. There is a reason why you can purchase a $300 70-200mm lens and then you can purchase a $2100 70-200mm lens.

I agree that you can get some great snapshots with a P&S. And really, a camera is just a tool in the hands of an artist. An excellent photographer is going to get a good photogragh no matter what tool you present them with because they understand light.

However, the more advanced tools / cameras allow for much more possibilities.

If you are happy with your pictures from your camera, than you are happy and do not let anyone else tell you differently. ;)

If you think about it as cars, a ford fiesta will hold 4 people, the same as a BMW 5-series. I do not think anyone is going to argue that the ford is a better car just because it is cheap. It may be the best buy for someone, however.

I took my P&S with me on the last cruise and was disappointed in how a good number of photos came out. I am used to seeing what my DSLRs do. I expected that same quality from my P&S and I was reminded yet again it does not have that quality. My 5 year old DSLR with 8 MP can outshoot my Panny with 15MB every day of the week.

But, as the old saying goes, the best camera you own is the one you carry with you. And my Panny can outshoot my iPhone. ;)

My mind is spinning with the possibilites. What's the difference between the Nikon D300 and Nikon D3000? I was at Sam's last night just get a few items. Stopped by the photo area. Nikon D3000 is $449 and there are 2 left. Nikon D3100 is $679 and I think just came out because I didn't see it there a few weeks ago. I know that there are many other websites that offer the same item for a bit less ($30-40) but at least at Sam's I can return in 90 days if I don't like it and there are no restocking charges.

I think the main difference between N3000 and N3100 is the video part. So how often am I going to video tape the kids since we already have a Sony camcorder from 2001 but don't use it that much. Must call Nikon today to get some details on how to download the video since it won't have a tape like the Sony 2001. Thanks all.

I have a Sony DSC-HX1. 9.1 mp - 20X zoom. Has what they call "intelligent auto" which means it switches to landscape, macro, etc. by itself depending on conditions.

Has burst at 10, 5, or 3 frames per second - also video. Has a panorama setting - hold the shutter down and pan either horizontally or vertically. Plus the usual settings like fireworks, etc.

Sounds like the kind of camera the OP might be looking for - smaller and easier to use than the usual DSLR (also cheaper) but more to it than the average point and shoot.

I love it.

My mind is spinning with the possibilites. What's the difference between the Nikon D300 and Nikon D3000?

The D3000 is a Lower end DSLR, good quality, but as was stated so well by amunhbuu, "If you think about it as cars, a ford fiesta will hold 4 people, the same as a BMW 5-series" The D3000 costs about $450, The D300 costs about $1500. They both take good pictures, but the D300 has many more features for specialty situations.

For me, it's not just about the snapshot, I get into the art of the shot. Light, shadows, etc. I also use the camera in my business as well to save me from having to pay a commercial photographer, so the features are important and the price is the cost to have and use the best equipment I can.

So My advise to anyone considering buying a new camera, decide what your needs are first; snapshots, art, etc. then go shopping fro a camera that best suits your needs.

Berk987 - the D3100 is replacing the D3000. So if you're happy with the specs on the D3000, go for it! Here are the specs on the D3000:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/635660-REG/Nikon_25462_D3000_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Here are the specs on the D3100:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/730210-REG/Nikon_25472_D3100_Digital_SLR_Camera.html

I talked to someone at B&H today. EVERY point & shoot is going to have some amount of shutter lag, no matter what the "fps" rate is.

Berk987 - if you'd like to exchange email addresses, let me know :-)

It's complicated... :) But, the camera industry in the last five years or so has gotten into marketing "megapixels". And a MP is not a MP. Quality matters much more than quantity. So, sensor quality matters a great deal.

Even if you have a good camera body, a lens can make all the difference. There is a reason why you can purchase a $300 70-200mm lens and then you can purchase a $2100 70-200mm lens.

I agree that you can get some great snapshots with a P&S. And really, a camera is just a tool in the hands of an artist. An excellent photographer is going to get a good photogragh no matter what tool you present them with because they understand light.

However, the more advanced tools / cameras allow for much more possibilities.

If you are happy with your pictures from your camera, than you are happy and do not let anyone else tell you differently. ;)

If you think about it as cars, a ford fiesta will hold 4 people, the same as a BMW 5-series. I do not think anyone is going to argue that the ford is a better car just because it is cheap. It may be the best buy for someone, however.

I took my P&S with me on the last cruise and was disappointed in how a good number of photos came out. I am used to seeing what my DSLRs do. I expected that same quality from my P&S and I was reminded yet again it does not have that quality. My 5 year old DSLR with 8 MP can outshoot my Panny with 15MB every day of the week.

But, as the old saying goes, the best camera you own is the one you carry with you. And my Panny can outshoot my iPhone. ;)

WELL SAID :-) You sound like you know what you're talking about :-) Just the fact that you mentioned sensors vs. MP's :-) And lenses. I shoot with the Canon 5D Mark II, but if I put a cheap lens on it, I'm not going to be happy with my shots :-) I also agree with you, that today's point & shoots are amazing (as far as point & shoots go). It all depends on what you're looking for in a camera.

Thank you.

Maybe it has a better sensor and better video, to start. But if you're happy with yours, that's all that matters! :-)

Berk987 - the D3100 is replacing the D3000. So if you're happy with the specs on the D3000, go for it! Here are the specs on the D3000:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/635660-REG/Nikon_25462_D3000_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Here are the specs on the D3100:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/730210-REG/Nikon_25472_D3100_Digital_SLR_Camera.html

I talked to someone at B&H today. EVERY point & shoot is going to have some amount of shutter lag, no matter what the "fps" rate is.

Berk987 - if you'd like to exchange email addresses, let me know :-)

bbevanston@hotmail.com

I'm sure to have many more questions and this section has faster response time then the photo discussion section. Thanks.

WELL SAID :-) You sound like you know what you're talking about :-) Just the fact that you mentioned sensors vs. MP's :-) And lenses. I shoot with the Canon 5D Mark II, but if I put a cheap lens on it, I'm not going to be happy with my shots :-) I also agree with you, that today's point & shoots are amazing (as far as point & shoots go). It all depends on what you're looking for in a camera.

No, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night... ;) Very amateur photog here. And very jealous you have a 5DMII. Keep thinking about upgrading from my 40D. But, I keep going on cruises, which cuts into my photog budget. :D

Panasonic just announced the Lumix DMC-GF2 today. It is a Micro 4/3 camera. Should be shipping in Jan with pricing in Dec.

D300 versus D3000 big difference in both features, weightf, performance and price :eek:

Difference between D3000 and D3100 are small, if you can afford it get the D3100. The d3000 was entry retread garbage from Nikon. The D3100 is a huge step forward and very good entry camera. The d3000 never was.

if the money matters get the D3000 or canon Ti1 both good and better value.

You didn't read the link I suggested ;)

My mind is spinning with the possibilites. What's the difference between the Nikon D300 and Nikon D3000? I was at Sam's last night just get a few items. Stopped by the photo area. Nikon D3000 is $449 and there are 2 left. Nikon D3100 is $679 and I think just came out because I didn't see it there a few weeks ago. I know that there are many other websites that offer the same item for a bit less ($30-40) but at least at Sam's I can return in 90 days if I don't like it and there are no restocking charges.

I think the main difference between N3000 and N3100 is the video part. So how often am I going to video tape the kids since we already have a Sony camcorder from 2001 but don't use it that much. Must call Nikon today to get some details on how to download the video since it won't have a tape like the Sony 2001. Thanks all.

No, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night... ;) Very amateur photog here. And very jealous you have a 5DMII. Keep thinking about upgrading from my 40D. But, I keep going on cruises, which cuts into my photog budget. :D

Panasonic just announced the Lumix DMC-GF2 today. It is a Micro 4/3 camera. Should be shipping in Jan with pricing in Dec.

The 5D mark II is great b/c of it's ISO performance. I shoot weddings, so I often find myself in low-light situations :-) If you're thinking about upgrading, I know a photographer that just bought two 60D's and LOVES them.

The 5D mark II is great b/c of it's ISO performance. I shoot weddings, so I often find myself in low-light situations :-) If you're thinking about upgrading, I know a photographer that just bought two 60D's and LOVES them.

Not terribly interested in the 60D. My next one will be a 7D or a 5DMII at this point.

..if you can afford it get the D3100. The d3000 was entry retread garbage from Nikon. The D3100 is a huge step forward and very good entry camera.

I second that. D3000 used old generation CCD technology for it's sensor and D3100 use uses latest CMOS sensor and electronics technology. I've seen some of the photos taken by it and it rivials the higher end camera.

Now I agree that you need to decide on whether a good p&s would be a better fit for your purpose, but if you decided on the D3100, I might be able to help you a bit on price. Newegg is having a special for $639 ( price show up after you add to shopping cart ). And if you can made your decision today, you can apply the promo code EMCZZYS22 ( only good till midnight tonight ) which will save you another 15% which brings down the price to around $545. I think that a good deal, you don't see 15% off very often.

dpreview has a very active user forum for you to check out comments for this camera as well :

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034

Hope this helps.

Archived