Getting on board with a boot cast

mom2NnB

I fractured my foot and I am in a boot cast. I may or may not still be in it in 16 days. Do I need to contact RCCL to inform them?

It is plastic and metal so will I have to take it off to go through scanners?

Really hoping and praying I will be able to walk on it before cruise so I can avoid taking this stupid boot. :mad:

Would really like to be on the EOS and not be in a cast :rolleyes: :(

I fractured my foot and I am in a boot cast. I may or may not still be in it in 16 days. Do I need to contact RCCL to inform them?

Really hoping and praying I will be able to walk on it before cruise so I can avoid taking this stupid boot. :mad:

We just got of Voyager, and my daughter was in a boot cast, never a problem getting on the ship, they just took her to one side and wanded her. The real pain was the airports, Miami, Madrid, Barcelona and JFK, here they not only wanded her, but rubbed over the boot and her hands with a test strip and scanned it into a computer for explosive tests, not a real issue but it did delay us in the airport security lines. had a great cruise though!!

If you are out of the boot before the cruise, please consider taking it with you. The one time in my life that I broke a bone, it was a bone in my foot. I finally got out of the dreaded boot and the bone right next to the original broken one broke the very next day. Hope that doesn't happen to you, but you might want to have the boot handy in case the walking turns out to be too much.

They do not care what form of "apparel" you're wearing....if you need special attention, contact the "special needs' dept. Otherwise, you're good to go. They are not going to xray you and deny you boarding!

I know they wont deny me boarding. I meant will I need to take it off to go through scanners like they make you take off your shoes, belts, etc. It's got 6 straps so putting it on and off takes time.

I traveled a couple of times with a boot and they never even wanded me on the ship. I did take advantage of a wheelchair getting on and off though and that really saved me long walking times. Once I was flying in Europe and asked for a wheelchair/cart and that saved me lots of walking. If you are flying, let the airline know & they will pick you up at the gate. My foot doc agreed that I could go ONLY if I wore my boot because of the possible instability on a ship. I also took my cane for further stability and I am very glad that I did. I did get wanded and wiped at the airport, but I did not have to take off my boot.

I would definitely notify RCI and request wheelchair assistance at embarkation and debarkation. You need to get your name on the list in order to use the service. You pick up the wheelchair BEFORE security, so they should just wand you and the cast and pat it down. Some of the gangways are long and can be an uphill climb. Besides, being in a wheelchair usually gets you to the front of the line. The service is free (just tip the guy who pushes it) Even if the cast is off you should get the wheelchair. I know my son had problems walking after his cast came off - in fact he got around better with it on than he did the first two weeks after it came off.

I know they wont deny me boarding. I meant will I need to take it off to go through scanners like they make you take off your shoes, belts, etc. It's got 6 straps so putting it on and off takes time.

No, you don't have to take it off because of the scanners. They can just wand you. Do not let the TSA tell you it has to come off at the airport either. Per their guidelines on their website, you do not have to take it off, they will wand you and swab it to test for explosives. If the TSA agent tries to get you to take it off, say no and ask for a supervisor, they will know the rules. My DH had a hip to ankle brace for 9 months due to a ruptured quadracept and one TSA agent told him it had to come off. We had researched beforehand and had printed off the rules. Brace stayed on and he was wanded and swabbed.:rolleyes:

You won't have any problems at all. I saw multiple people in various casts, both hands and foot last week on my cruise. Many in wheel chairs and various walkers, including motorized wheel chairs of all kinds.

I also broke my foot and was in a boot cast a few years ago. Was first in a full cast, and then a boot cast. Believe me the boot cast is much easier to to take than the full cast.

I was matron of honor at my sister's wedding and had talked my doctor into getting me out of the full cast and into the boot set up early so I could walk down the aisle easier.

I even danced at the wedding! :)

Where there's a will, there's a way. Nothing keeps us down, and all the little things are a minor inconvenience as long as we are on the boat!! :D

Archived