seasickness - best remedy

toby27

Hi there, any ideas on the best remedies. I am a first time cruiser and would like a few tips, (JUST IN CASE).

thanks

Jenny:confused:

Don´t even think about it :)

In case, do not drink any alcohol at all and reduce your consumption of drinks to the lowest possible leve. Do eat lots bananas or bisquits(filling your stamoch and absorbing liquids in there) and try to fix one spot at the horizont (cloud etc).

We have made more than 20 cruises during the last 15 years and never had greater problems.

Have a wonderful and enjoyable trip

Hi there, any ideas on the best remedies. I am a first time cruiser and would like a few tips, (JUST IN CASE).

thanks

Jenny:confused:

Bonine is over the counter and can be taken several hours before you board, and daily thereafter, with minimum side effects. Keep green apples and crackers to eat if you feel the slightest queasiness. This was recommended by our doctor and works every time.:)

Bonine is over the counter and can be taken several hours before you board, and daily thereafter, with minimum side effects. Keep green apples and crackers to eat if you feel the slightest queasiness. This was recommended by our doctor and works every time.:)

Motionease is homeopathic, no side effects and doesn't get ingested.

You just put a dab or two behind your ears and it's like magic. Within 20 minutes or sooner you are fine! You can buy it on line at motionease.com or I did see it in the pharmacy( CVS) recently.

Hi Everyone !

Definitely agree with Orchestrapal on this. Im fortunate that I have strong sea-legs, but my Mom is prone to Sea-Sickness, yet loves Cruising as much as I do ! She uses Bonine and Sea-Bands, and it really does the trick for her. Also agree on having Apples and Crackers handy, in case of illness.

As always, you should speak with your physician, to find out what's best for you.

We swear by ginger pills. This remedy and the relief bands (electric pulsing ones) were the top two cures on the tv show Myth Busters. We don't get sick on a cruise ship that often, unless the weather is really bad. I get seasick easily on a fishing boat. Taking ginger an hour before works great and has no side effects. The relief bands are very effective too, but much more expensive.

There have been a lot of discussions on this topic. I get very air sick, sea sick, motion sick in cars, etc. The only thing that works for me is "Scoopolomine" sp? patches. A lot of people do not like them, as they are prescription and can have side effects, but it seems to be the only thing that works for me on long cruises which have had several "bad" sea days in a row. I have tried just about everything else. Please do consult with your physician before using them.

@toby27 -

to add to what muccouple said, when you do feel funny, get out into the fresh air and fix your vision on a point far out on the horizon. Do wear slip-on shoes, so you do not have to bend down to tie them. And don't move your head too much sideways, try to keep that inner ear steady. My DW and I are very fortunate, we do not get sea sick. On every Atlantic crossing we hope for a storm to give us a wild ride. It's awesome.

Thank you for all replies. I am probbly just worrying about nothing but I will make sure I take a few things with me.. when I booked there were only two oceanview cabins left, one near the front of the ship and one midships but with a blocked view - I chose the midships one as I had heard it is more calm, now I am wondering if I shouldn't have taken the other one! Never mind, too late now.. and anyway I plan to get my view from on deck... Everything I have read about the Azamara Quest sounds wonderful and I can't wait to go on my cruise. As someone said, don't worry about anything as it all falls into place once you get on board... so that's what I'll do.

Jenny

My husband and I are prone to sea-sickness and won't let that deter us from cruising. What works for us is always the "patch" - prescription "Scopolamine". I know this is not for everyone, but it might be something to discuss with your MD, and bring along if you might need it. I don't know how many days you'll be cruising but you apply it about 3 hours before sailing and one patch lasts 3 days...

Happy sailing!

Hi, all. I tried to register for the Meet & Mingle party for our Nov 15 sailing, but it said the party is closed! There are apparently already 70 people registered. :-( Congrats to you all for pulling together such a high-numbered group. Sorry I will be missing out, but have fun!

I took my first cruise to Alaska in Aug 2002 - a 7-day - and I was worried. I get sick in cars, on planes, fair rides, etc. so I was scared about the ship. The first day my husband took me by the hand and said let's WALK. so we walked and got me moving - that helped. The full day at sea a few days later was rough. I had ginger pills, crackers, and drank "bitters" which I had never heard of but the crew recommended it. I can't say these helped a lot, but maybe they will for you if you need them. But the good news was it was just one day out of 7. Lots of other people were sick that day; even my hubby was bothered some. It was a rough day on the seas.

On my second cruise - which was Bahamas in May - I was sick 2 of the 4 days, my sister 1 of the 4. I ate BREAD and tried to stay on deck as recommended. Definitely going to the room made it worse. And do NOT SIT DOWN ON THE FLOOR! We did that and it made it worse. We thought maybe looking at our photos would get our minds off it, but sitting on the ship's floor to do so was a mistake!

There is an article on the cruise critic at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=48

and there's another posting right now on this topic at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...463&highlight=

This offers some good tips for sea sickness. I also read some tips in a book on Boating Etiquette this summer.

For people who don't suffer, they don't understand that it DOES happen and the size of the ship or the waves don't matter!!! But I have managed to enjoy 6 out of 7 days on one cruise and 2 out of 4 on another cruise. I hope you will have ALL good days on your cruise!

I have experienced motion sickness on the small trains that run around theme parks. I am very prone to sickness on any moving vehicle - car, train, plane, with ships being the worst. That said, a prescription product called Transderm Scope does work for me. It must be ordered by a physician. It does have some side effects (dry mouth is my biggest complaint). Some people with certain conditions can not use it. This is not a product for someone who is mildly concerned about seasickness but for some of us it is the only way we could ever set foot on a ship. Over the counter products, ginger capsules, seabands are all useful. I would certainly try one or all of these first.

• 2 weeks later...
When we recently experienced a really bad sea day, the crew put out green apples. I have never heard of this, but according to them it is great for seasickness!
HAL actually has an item on their Room Service Menu for seasickness! Called something like the Time-Honored Cure, it is green apples, saltine crackers & crystallized ginger. Once seas get rough, big bowls of green apples appear at the Front Desk & elsewhere on the ship.

My DH got slightly seasick on our Oceania crossing last year. So being the dutiful DW, I went in search of green apples. None to be found! And nobody who I asked had any idea what I was talking about. In the end, DH had to settle for a golden delicious, which apparently doesn't have the same protective enzymes. Go figure!

Different things work for different people. Some suggestions:

If you don't know whether or how susceptible you are, bring Bonine - over the counter chewable meclizine. As another poster noted, it doesn't take effect immediately - while Bonine works very well for us, DW learned about this delay the hard way.

I've heard stories both ways about the scopolamine patch - when it works, it's can be very effective, but there are some people who don't react well to it, or for whom it's not effective. A first cruise is not a good time to discover whether you're one of those people.

At the first sign that you're starting to get seasick, Do Something! Trying to tough it out is a great way to spend too much time in your cabin feeling awful.

Ginger seems mostly to help with an upset stomach. Something else to try is peppermint tea (herbal tea).

Have just viewed your Asia trip on Azamara Quest. I am doing a cruise from HK to Singapore in early Feb. (my first!) so I found this so informative - all the information about the ship and the ports of call was just amazing. Thank you so much. I am travelilng alone and was just going to do some of the ship excursions as I guess you need to be in a group to do the private tours. You certainly organised your trip very well and got the most out of it. I am looking forward to a wonderful trip.

Thanks again.

Jenny

I don't think I've ever been seasick, and Dudley is a pretty good cruiser, but one time, on a cruise to Hawaii, the seas were rather rough and Dudley felt so bad that he ordered a nice big breakfast and then couldn't eat a bite. Those that know Dudley know that for him turn down food, it's a major, once-in-a-lifetime thing. :p Our waiter suggested asking our room steward for some fresh ginger, but in the meantime, suggested a glass of gingerale. Dudley had a glass of gingerale, and was feeling better in no time.

At least gingerale is one thing they'll have available on any ship.

Have just viewed your Asia trip on Azamara Quest. I am doing a cruise from HK to Singapore in early Feb. (my first!) so I found this so informative - all the information about the ship and the ports of call was just amazing. Thank you so much. I am travelilng alone and was just going to do some of the ship excursions as I guess you need to be in a group to do the private tours. You certainly organised your trip very well and got the most out of it. I am looking forward to a wonderful trip.

Thanks again.

Jenny

If you g to your cruise roll call, you might find people that are looking for others to share excursions with. Private excursions can be much better.

I used to say, with tongue firmly in cheek, that the only sure cure for seasickness is to surround yourself with tall trees (since that would imply that you were on dry land)! However, with the launching of the two RCCL Behemoths of the Seas, that advice is no longer valid, thanks to their Central Park.

Before you jump on the medicine wagon (pills, patches or else) make sure you have a full stomach before the symptoms are too difficult. Avoid alcohol. Very little liquids. You may start any motion sickness AFTER you have your full stomach you will tolerate it better.

I used to be suffering from sea sickness but now, after more than 30 cruises, I realize the more I eat when it starts, the better I feel...

Archived