NYC Flight/Manhattan Cruise Terminal - Earliest departure time

coffeecat

Hello fellow cruisers,

Was hoping to get some help on travel arrangements to and from NYC from those in the know...

My friend and I are sailing on NCL Jewel on December 12-19. We plan on flying into NYC on Saturday, December 11 from different states.

Would like advice on best airport to fly in and out of (from what I have already read it seems like avoiding flights into New Jersey is a good idea).

What would be the earliest time we could book flights on our departure day (ship due back in port at 8 am)?

We were also hoping to do something fun in NYC the day we arrive...perhaps seeing the Christmas tree in Rockafellar Square. Any advice on a fun/decent place to stay?

We aren't on a strict budget and are willing to pay a little more for speed and convenience but don't want to break the bank either.

Thanks much in advance for any advice!

Coffeecat

If you can find a low airfare to EWR, you should consider flying there. There's no reason to rule it out. Otherwise the closest airport to Manhattan is LGA.

Not to be negative, but you are coming into NY in the height of the holiday shopping/tourist season...hotels are crowded, rooms can be hard to come by, prices are high, and you're unlikely to find any airfare bargains only a month before you cruise. The first thing you need to do is make your airline reservations...and quickly! It is somewhat dependent on which airport you're using, but in general you will be safe booking your return flight no earlier for no earlier than 1pm.

I think you really need to give us an approximate idea of your hotel budget is before anyone can even begin to make recommendations.

The cheapest 3* hotel in midtown that I am seeing on Hotwire is $269 + tax - probably Murray Hill East Suites. Does that fit your budget? You really don't want to go below a 3* hotel in Manhattan. To get a cheaper hotel you will have to stay at LaGuardia, Newark, Secaucus or Hoboken and pay the transportation costs in and out of NYC.

If you can find a low airfare to EWR, you should consider flying there. There's no reason to rule it out. Otherwise the closest airport to Manhattan is LGA.

Not to be negative, but you are coming into NY in the height of the holiday shopping/tourist season...hotels are crowded, rooms can be hard to come by, prices are high, and you're unlikely to find any airfare bargains only a month before you cruise. The first thing you need to do is make your airline reservations...and quickly! It is somewhat dependent on which airport you're using, but in general you will be safe booking your return flight no earlier for no earlier than 1pm.

I think you really need to give us an approximate idea of your hotel budget is before anyone can even begin to make recommendations.

I agree with this totally.

Rock bottom hotel prices will be in the $300 range and moderate hotels will be $400 after taxes, etc.

That time of year, I would not book a return flight before 1PM. Traffic, massive crowds, extra heavy airline traffic make it a crapshoot in my opinion before that time.

Thanks so much for your responses! Will follow your advice and get flights taken care of today. I appreciate the advice on flying into NJ-at least that is a viable option. I was thinking that noon would be late enough but will plan on making them for later.

I will also book a hotel today. As for the budget, I was hoping to find something for around 300-500$ for the Saturday night. We plan on cabbing it around the city and I guess I would like to stay somewhere that would allow for a little sightseeing (like the Christmas tree) but also be fairly close to the port. I don't think we are interested in seeing a show or spending a ton of money on a fancy restaurant as we will be doing lots of that on the ship. I must say that while I have been to the city once or twice I don't "know" the city very well. If we were to bid on hotel on hotwire/priceline etc. is there a neighborhood/area that we should focus on?

I guess the final option would be to fly in on Sunday morning but neither of us are very keen on doing that given the weather that time of year. Although we do have trip insurance!

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks,

Coffeecat

I'm seeing a 4* Midtown Central (ideal for Rockefeller Center) on Hotwire right now for $329 + tax. Can't tell exactly what hotel this might be, but according to betterbidding it could be the Sofitel, Flaotel, Royalton, Helmsley Park Lane, Warwick or Sheraton New York. There are hotels in Soho for a little less, but you will eat up any savings in cab fares. Quite frankly being close to the port should be your lowest priority in Manhattan, but IMO the Midtown Central area is ideal. This is a good deal for a very nice hotel and is within your budget - I'd grab it.

I'm seeing a 4* Midtown Central (ideal for Rockefeller Center) on Hotwire right now for $329 + tax. Can't tell exactly what hotel this might be, but according to betterbidding it could be the Sofitel, Flaotel, Royalton, Helmsley Park Lane, Warwick or Sheraton New York. There are hotels in Soho for a little less, but you will eat up any savings in cab fares. Quite frankly being close to the port should be your lowest priority in Manhattan, but IMO the Midtown Central area is ideal. This is a good deal for a very nice hotel and is within your budget - I'd grab it.

If the OP wants to see the Christmas tree etc., then plan on staying as close to Rockefeller Center as possible this time of year. It won't be easy to "cab" it, because there are several "Grid Lock" days during the holiday season, meaning that it could take an hour to move ten blocks. Of course, if one is comfortable taking subways then it wouldn't be an issue. You should keep this in mind even on the day of the cruise, to plan on leaving earlier than necessary if it is a "grid lock" day. The city actually puts out a schedule of Grid Lock days.

Thanks everyone for the travel advice!

We ended up booking the hotel via hotwire that 138East suggested for 329+tax...came to right around 400$. We ended up with the Warwick and it looks great! Also, bookings on their website starts at 555$+tax for their cheapest rooms for that date so I feel like I got a great deal! Thank you so much 138East! I really appreciate the input because I would have had no idea where to even start looking.

We also have flights booked into and out of LGA...were both able to get flights from Missouri and Virginia for around 250$ and they are direct flights. We were tempted (prior to the posts) to get flights leaving around noon but ended up going with late afternoon departures. I am sure this will equate to a lot less stress on departure day.

Anyway, thank you all so very much for answering my questions! We are looking forward to a great cruise and it's nice that our travel plans are arranged...

Also, we are excited to see the tree in Rockefeller Center...I even spelled it right this time!

Thanks,

Coffeecat

Sounds like you have a great plan. The Warwick is only a few block from Rockefeller Center - an easy walk. Bring a warm hat, gloves, and coat and you will be all set for NY in December. Bus can also be a good way to get around midtown if there's no gridlock - http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf - but the subway is underground and has no traffic issues. There is a station 2 blocks from the hotel plus other stations in the area. This is a map that shows the subway stations in relation to the streets - http://www.onnyturf.com/subway/

Sounds like you have a great plan. The Warwick is only a few block from Rockefeller Center - an easy walk. Bring a warm hat, gloves, and coat and you will be all set for NY in December. Bus can also be a good way to get around midtown if there's no gridlock - http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf - but the subway is underground and has no traffic issues. There is a station 2 blocks from the hotel plus other stations in the area. This is a map that shows the subway stations in relation to the streets - http://www.onnyturf.com/subway/

Thanks for the additional information. If it is only a few blocks we will likely walk. It also appears to be very close to 5th avenue...probably won't be buying anything but it may be fun to window shop a little bit. I will be ready for the weather for sure. Again, thank you so much for your help!

Coffeecat

Thanks for the additional information. If it is only a few blocks we will likely walk. It also appears to be very close to 5th avenue...probably won't be buying anything but it may be fun to window shop a little bit. I will be ready for the weather for sure. Again, thank you so much for your help!

Coffeecat

The decorated windows are beautiful at Christmas time---don't forget to check out St. Patrick's Cathedral as well (across from Rockefeller Ctr.). NYC is just spectacular during the holiday season---enjoy!

Coffeecat

The tree is in Rockefeller Center. Directly across the tree on Fifth Avenue is St Patricks cathedral, which you can go in and see, if there is no mass going on. (Of course you are welcome to stay for a mass if you desire). Next door to St. Pats is Saks Fifth Avenue, where they have one of the best, if not THE best window displays around. You might want to go to the Top of the Rock, to look out, even though you can't see the tree from there, you can see the rest of Manhattan including the Empire State Building, lit up. (You can go online and reserve your time and purchase tickets in advance for this)

Thanks for the additional information on the tree, Saks, and the cathedral. The link to the hotel pics was great as well! Our time will be fairly brief in NYC but I think seeing the few things that have been suggested on here will be doable. Very excited to see NYC at Christmas time!

Thank you again for your thoughtful suggestions and help!

Coffeecat

while there is nothing wrong with Saks, Macys will give you a discount card for 13% off almost everything if you show out of state id on the mezzanine's accommodation desk at the Herald Square store(the one in the Macy's day parade at 34th street between sixth(broadway) and 7th avenues

while there is nothing wrong with Saks, Macys will give you a discount card for 13% off almost everything if you show out of state id on the mezzanine's accommodation desk at the Herald Square store(the one in the Macy's day parade at 34th street between sixth(broadway) and 7th avenues

Ah...one of the marks of a true native New Yorker...calling the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade the "Macy's Day Parade". ;)

Another is calling the Port Authority the "Port of Authority".:D

Ah...one of the marks of a true native New Yorker...calling the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade the "Macy's Day Parade". ;)

Another is calling the Port Authority the "Port of Authority".:D

short hand. I called Port Authority port of Authority? I always wondered why the PA runs the bus terminals.....

Yes, if you are looking for a deal, Saks is not the place to go. I would go to the Macys.com and LordandTaylor.com website to check to see if they have coupons if I was going to do any serious shopping. These two stores have coupons it seems every week. If you get a week where the coupons work on any item, not only sale items, then you hit the jackpot. About twice a year Lord and Taylor has 20% off anything coupons (even Coach handbags:D) they are usually excluded and 10% off cosmetics (which are rarely discounted) Lord and Taylor has awesome windows also. It is located on Fifth Avenue and 39th Street. You can also walk over to Bryant Park which has more ice skating and these cute little Christmas shops open.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to come back and thank everyone for their wonderful advice. Flight in and out of NYC were great (and we were both able to book on flights leaving earlier than the ones we booked because we got off the boat so fast in the morning!).

Loved our hotel...it was very close to everything. The streets were amazingly packed on saturday afternoon with shoppers but we got to see the outside of the cathedral as well as Rockefeller's - so great! Also did a little shopping but only made it as far as Saks (I think) because the sidewalks were mobbed. It still was absolutely wonderful and I think NYC in Christmas time should be on everyone's bucket list.

Anyway, thanks so very much for your help and guidance and for making this portion of our cruise outstanding!

Much appreciation,

Coffeecat

Archived