I Think Department Stores are Reading HAL CC......

sail7seas

I still wear long to hide comfy shoes since one foot really swells due to an old injury. They are made by Spenser Alexis. Some have lace and a very few beads. They roll up beautifully for packing and are as light as a feather. Don't know if they can be purchased Stateside.

You might wish to know.....

I googled them to see if they are available in U.S. and this is what I found:

Spencer Alexis is no longer in business - however the original Spencer Alexis designer is involved in a new clothing line entitled

Violet Kay. The cut, style and fit is exactly the same and the retail price is a bit less although the quality has stayed the same. We currently carry a few styles and will be adding more in the near future.

Hope you also enjoy the new Violet Kay line. Hopefully, he'll create more of the designs you enjoy. :)

We saw lots of tuxes and gowns up to about a year ago. Not so much anymore but DH just got another new tuxedo. He is not ready to give up black tie for formal night and his other tuxes had 'seen their day'. We'll be fine together with him in tux and me in black cocktail. Works for me. :)

Sails: Love a man in a tux. Good for him. My late husband always wore one and loved to do so:)

I still wear long to hide comfy shoes since one foot really swells due to an old injury. They are made by Spenser Alexis. Some have lace and a very few beads. They roll up beautifully for packing and are as light as a feather. Don't know if they can be purchased Stateside.

Yup, that's my formal cruise attire also. The ones I have will just have to last many more years since they are no longer made. :( Comfy and pack well!!! :D

Clothes ... one of my favorite subjects. And I have way too many things to wear formal nights and always have trouble what to mix and match.

For those of us on a less pricey budget than Nordstrom, Chico's is the way to go. You can get long, short, or handkerchief hem and literally toss them in the suitcase. They are very forgiving of any figure flaws. Match these up with jackets with a little pizzazz and a bit of sparkle here and there. You don't have to part with your entire IRA and you can still look absolutely smashing.

But my favorite is a Patra tiered chiffon dress with the hem just below the knee ... very flattering yet comfortable. Only trouble is I have to agonize in heels because I can't wear comfy shoes with a dress that length. I bought it in dusty rose for a wedding a few years ago and then saw someone wearing it in black on the Veendam. Lucky me found it! Doesn't look that good in the picture, but it's wonderful: Product: Patra Tiered Georgette Dress. I highly recommend it!

Nice dress. I have seen it around in Syms and Filene's Basement stores. Packs easily and weighs little....before Syms went out of business in our area.

Yikes!!!:eek: There's an old adage .... "if you can't say something nice .... " You'd better tell Nordstrom about Patra since they carry it.

Point of fact it's an absolutely lovely dress. Such a shame Syms went out of business up there ... it flourishes elsewhere. However, I never shop at discount stores.

But my favorite is a Patra tiered chiffon dress with the hem just below the knee ... very flattering yet comfortable.

Doesn't look that good in the picture, but it's wonderful: Product: Patra Tiered Georgette Dress. I highly recommend it!

Cute dress! I'd order it, but I am so sick of wearing black. Am I the only one who wants "them" to invent a new color? :confused:

Cute dress! I'd order it, but I am so sick of wearing black. Am I the only one who wants "them" to invent a new color? :confused:

Thanks, Ruth. I get tons of compliments when I wear it ... but who knows? Maybe it's just me they're complimenting and the dress is pure trash.:D

I actually love black. However, as mentiioned I have this dress in dusty rose. It's not a new style, wasn't pretending it is, but if it works why fix it???:)

I actually love black. However, as mentiioned I have this dress in dusty rose.

I'd snap it up if it came in dusty rose. Or teal. Or even a strong jewel tone.

You're safe, Heather, from seeing me show up in the same dress you're wearing. ;)

I love gray! :)

I don't know the last time I saw anyone in a full-length gown on formal night.

I usually wear black - tea length or a little shorter.

I like the dress, Heather. I have a similar one, with a touch of beading on the tiers, I bought at Dillard's. Very flattering.

I love gray! :)

I don't know the last time I saw anyone in a full-length gown on formal night.

I usually wear black - tea length or a little shorter.

I like the dress, Heather. I have a similar one, with a touch of beading on the tiers, I bought at Dillard's. Very flattering.

:D Funny you should say that. I, also, love gray. :)

I wore a full-length grey with cream trim dress second formal night on Westerdam last November. We dined with others in Pinnacle that night and I felt 'well dressed'.

Actually, that night DH and I joined 'ekerr' (Laura) and Sonny in their Penthouse for a cocktail and hors d'ouerves before we met up with our ship friends for dinner. That was the last evening we spent with her though she did come to our cabin the next afternoon.

Thanks for reminding me of the gray dress..... it triggered that fond memory of our friend, Laura.

Yikes!!!:eek: There's an old adage .... "if you can't say something nice .... " You'd better tell Nordstrom about Patra since they carry it.

Point of fact it's an absolutely lovely dress. Such a shame Syms went out of business up there ... it flourishes elsewhere. However, I never shop at discount stores.

I am never above shopping a discount store. I love a bargain.

What's Syms Motto? "An educated consumer is our best customer." I miss that store. Didn't always find things there but when I did, it was great.

Syms bought Filene's Basement and they have one or two combined stores but I don't think there are any Syms only stores left in Massachusetts.

As long as we can drive to the ports and DH wants to wear his tux, I'll keep wearing the long gowns. I haunt the consignment shops for gowns. I have to go formal for a few charity events each year so I don't like paying the full retail prices.

I, also, have just found two little black dresses such as S7S describes, with just a modicum of lightweight bling----crushable too, so they won't wrinkle.

I also found a lightweight fitted short jacket with a mottled black and grey pattern---rather muted and with a bit of gold thread in the background so that I could wear it with some bling and a long skirt for formal night but could also use it with a pair of dark dress pants on casual night. It will go either way. Also, to go either way I found a black sweater with some silver sparkle and a neckline that drapes softly down the front.

It seems that everything I buy now is with an eye to how it will pack and I try to stick with a narrow colour range so that a lot of things can mix and match.

I love teal! I saw a beautiful long dress on Chico's website last spring, but I wanted to try it on. I didn't see it in the store and didn't get around to ordering it before it disappeared.

I went to Nordie's web page posted and then went to the cocktail dresses and I did see one I would want but it was over $300. Ouch! Oh well, I have plenty of dresses and pants for formal nights. Some of them have gotten plenty of wear on cruises. Some long dresses are in the mix but I guess they are not really ball gowns.

yeah, well, black is like mourning funeral clothing and not really that cool. The new hotcha colors are RED! Red lipstick, red dresses, gowns, and spiked heels that are 6 inches tall minimum.

Way to go.:)

OK, if red is the new black, I am in. However, the spike heels will have to stay behind!!

Actually, I've pretty much decided that on my next trip to Germany I will buy myself a "dirndl" to wear on formal nights. That and a "Trachtenanzug' for my DH. the dirndl is the native dress of southern Germany (Bavaria) and the formal ones are gorgeous. It would make quite a statement on formal night on any ship and would be unique!!

Archived