I Think Department Stores are Reading HAL CC......

sail7seas

You might wish to know.....

I googled them to see if they are available in U.S. and this is what I found:

[/font]

Hope you also enjoy the new Violet Kay line. Hopefully, he'll create more of the designs you enjoy. :)

Thanks Sail - I'll look in my local outlet.

I just love black for formal wear and don't find it funeral-like or maudlin at all. On the contrary I still think you can't get much more elegant than black.

Gray, on the other hand, makes me look gray. I'm just too old for it. And red looks really ugly on me so I never wear it ... wish I could, but I can't. And I always remember when I was young being told never to wear red to a wedding because it's bad luck since it's the color of blood ... I never got that out of my mind in all these years :).

My favorite new color is hot pink:D as many have noticed from my hat picture. It just brings out the best in my coloring from what people tell me ... have to think it's the blue tone of fuschia. Blues and yellow were always my favorite colors and my entire home is in those shades ... the colors of the sun and the sea.

I am never above shopping a discount store. I love a bargain.

What's Syms Motto? "An educated consumer is our best customer." I miss that store. Didn't always find things there but when I did, it was great.

Syms bought Filene's Basement and they have one or two combined stores but I don't think there are any Syms only stores left in Massachusetts.

Nor am I, Sail:D. Actually I stretched the truth to make a point because I was (truthfully) upset with your comment about a favorite dress. One of the beauties of discount stores is the "finds" you can get for high end merchandise particularly if it's last year's style. I always remember Marcie Syms in ads saying that slogan.

I don't worry about whether something is "in" or not as long as it looks good on me. But in the case of the Patra dress, I did not buy it in a discount store ... not that I wouldn't, I just didn't. In truth I paid a lot more for it than it is now at Dillard's, but I bought it a few years go (the dusty rose ... the other was a gift off the back of a friend just recently).

As for FB and Syms ... great stores. I didn't know Syms bought FB. I lived in Boston 'back in the day' and spent many a day shopping the bargains in Filene's Basement. My husband swears by Syms both when we were in New York and here in Florida, but I have never had any luck there ... you have to go regularly.

But my favorite is a Patra tiered chiffon dress with the hem just below the knee ... very flattering yet comfortable. Only trouble is I have to agonize in heels because I can't wear comfy shoes with a dress that length. I bought it in dusty rose for a wedding a few years ago and then saw someone wearing it in black on the Veendam. Lucky me found it! Doesn't look that good in the picture, but it's wonderful: Product: Patra Tiered Georgette Dress. I highly recommend it!

Heather I have this dress in dusty rose and love it too! I'd like to get it in black too. I'm sure you look lovely wearing it. :)

Where I live, it is extremely difficult to find age-appropriate evening wear. Still, I've collected enough formal wear to outfit a few people, over the last few years :) Like many of you, the only thing I do not consider taking is a heavily beaded dress that I adore. On its own, it weighs nearly 5 pounds! An LBD, a gorgeous poison green pashmina, and a copper, gold and silver jacket if I'm short of space; if I have room, I take some St. John knits, too.

Don't get me started on evening bags. Esther E, I have a ton of them, and always have to take a spare.... or two.... or three.... just got an amazing vintage Lanvin evening bag at the thrift store for $2. It appears to have never been used, and is lined in silk. It will HAVE to come on our next cruise!

Never have worn gowns, just long chiffon skirts and sparkly tops. Recently have gone to short, above the knee skirt with sparkly top or lightly beaded tight fitting sweater. All in black.

Can wear the skirt on other nights with a more casual top. The high heeled pumps look good at any cocktail party with black pants, not too formal, but dressed up.

I am taking a lot more things that I can wear in multiple situations. Black is such a great color!

Glad you found something that you like that fits, Sail! Not the easiest combination, in my experience!

Never have worn gowns, just long chiffon skirts and sparkly tops. Recently have gone to short, above the knee skirt with sparkly top or lightly beaded tight fitting sweater. All in black.

Can wear the skirt on other nights with a more casual top. The high heeled pumps look good at any cocktail party with black pants, not too formal, but dressed up.

I am taking a lot more things that I can wear in multiple situations. Black is such a great color!

Glad you found something that you like that fits, Sail! Not the easiest combination, in my experience!

Thanks, SilvertoGold,

Your outfits sound perfect.

I'm sure you'll look great.

In my dreams I would wear a "gown." In reality ... I'm petite in height, but not in size. And I'm very out-of-proportion. :eek: The alteration charges on any gown for me would cost more than the gown!

Therefore, I have black long skirts (taffeta, velvet, and several of those stretchy knit things) along with black wider leg pants (several velvet and stretchy knit). I have an assortment of coordinating shells and jackets - sparkly, velvet, knits, etc.). I've had most of the things for years and I just mix and match depending on the cruise.

Now DH ... he is addicted to his tux. Always buys at least two new ties, vests, or cummerbunds for every cruise. I just checked what he has hanging out for our upcoming trip. He has more formalwear laid out than I do! :rolleyes:

I know what you mean' date=' RuthC. I love black, but am a red or hot pink person, too.[/quote']

My motto if you" feel good "in it ..there is no doubt you " look good" in it.

It's my understanding there a few colors that 'look good "on everyone

...." universal colors" if you will .....one of them is periwinkle blue.

My motto if you" feel good "in it ..there is no doubt you " look good" in it.

It's my understanding there a few colors that 'look good "on everyone

...." universal colors" if you will .....one of them is periwinkle blue.

What a great line.

And I have seen this challenge of finding a universal color mentioned when it comes to the "bridesmaid" dress choices. To add to periwinkle blue apparently is a coral or turquoise. I have found it almost impossible to find periwinkle blue, because it is a favorite of mine too.

Having had my "colors done" back in the days when one found out if they were best suited for the spring, summer, fall winter color palate, was one of the best investments I have ever made. And it costs nothing now because there are lots of ways to to this. It makes travel wardrobe color coordination a lot easier too when you find that combo that just feels right for yourself.

Archived