Reducing tip percentage.

stubbywillow

I agree the cost of the cruise is the cost of the cruise and when I book it, I know that depending on the cruise line you can add anywhere from $10 to $12.50 a day. They do not make it a secret and it is published in everything from their websites to their pamphlets. So, as far as I am concerned their are no hidden costs, you get exactly what they say you are going to get. I you don't want to pay the tips, I suggest you choose a line that doesn't add the tips.

I agree the cost of the cruise is the cost of the cruise and when I book it, I know that depending on the cruise line you can add anywhere from $10 to $12.50 a day. They do not make it a secret and it is published in everything from their websites to their pamphlets. So, as far as I am concerned their are no hidden costs, you get exactly what they say you are going to get. I you don't want to pay the tips, I suggest you choose a line that doesn't add the tips.

I do. My preferred cruiseline is Celebrity. They make it clear that they automatically add a "discretionary" gratuity which "may be adjusted if you so wish". The daily amounts are "recommended". So if I choose to reduce the amounts for poor service I have absolutely no qualms about it. Good service can only be expected where the staff are not certain that they will receive anything. If they know that they are guaranteed a gratuity they become blase and do not offer their best.

Just curious, why don't the Europeans stick to the European cruise companies like P&O? I assume there is no tipping on them.

Yes there is tipping on P & O but they are not automatically added. You are given envelopes to hand out at the end of the cruise and can tip what you like.

Why do we not stick to P & O ? Well I for one love the entertainment on P & O which is far superior to most American lines, as is the silver service in the restaurants as opposed to the plated food on American ships, but the american ships tend to be more luxurious. So I like to cruise with both.

Yes there is tipping on P & O but they are not automatically added. You are given envelopes to hand out at the end of the cruise and can tip what you like.

Why do we not stick to P & O ? Well I for one love the entertainment on P & O which is far superior to most American lines, as is the silver service in the restaurants as opposed to the plated food on American ships, but the american ships tend to be more luxurious. So I like to cruise with both.

If, in fact there is also tipping on P&O as is suggested by the provision of envelopes (which means that there also exists the notion of better income for better service, ie: incentive pay) what is the real difference? The auto-tips on lines which apply them can be adjusted -- just like the envelope tip -- but the auto-tip makes great sense because it allows basic tips to go to the staff you do not regularly see because of "freestyle", "as you wish", "anytime" dining, or whatever they call it.

If, in fact there is also tipping on P&O as is suggested by the provision of envelopes (which means that there also exists the notion of better income for better service, ie: incentive pay) what is the real difference? The auto-tips on lines which apply them can be adjusted -- just like the envelope tip -- but the auto-tip makes great sense because it allows basic tips to go to the staff you do not regularly see because of "freestyle", "as you wish", "anytime" dining, or whatever they call it.

I agree that there is no difference between the envelope system and the adjustable added tip system. This thread started by questioning the NCL system where it appears that you have to justify why you would want to alter your tip. That is what I would object to.

I'd be keen as to wear a BIG flashing badge that says, "I'm proud to be a non-tipper 'cause I paid 100% on top of what the average US citizen paid for this EXACT same cruise, so I'm allowing my "tips" for the hard working crew to come out of my 100% extra, which is way more than the tight butted USA cruisers who only tip $10 - $15 per day on top of their fare"

LMBFAO!!!!!

Do you think I could buy me one of those off ebay??? :D

Honestly???? I wish there was a way that every single fellow cruiser and crew member could know who removed or reduced their service charge.....I wouldn't want to give that cruiser the time of day.

So you are punishing the hard working crew because it costs you more to cruise then Americans???

I am going to type this really slowly so you can understand it better. No one forcing you to book a cruise that charges you more or that has a daily service charge added to your shipboard account. There are cruise lines that don't have a daily service charge...cruise on those lines please :)

Let me repeat I wish that Service Charge was mandatory and payable at time of final payment because only THEN we can have heated debates about some cruisers and their disregard of proper dress codes in the MDR :D

BTW??? I am Canadian and often can not get the same low prices that my Southern neighbours get but I would never think of removing or reducing the Auto Tip or service charge. We always tip more to our room steward and servers in fact because the service has always been great.

It is such a shame that so many of the British and Wuropean people do not feel that it is necessary to tip -- especially when so many of the crew will go out of their way to make you have a wonderful and enjoyable cruise.

I don't mind tiping i just don't like to be forced to do so ,It should be by choice .If the crew don't like their wages well they arn't forced to work on a cruise ship.

Honestly???? I wish there was a way that every single fellow cruiser and crew member could know who removed or reduced their service charge.....I wouldn't want to give that cruiser the time of day.

Seriously?!? An employee that does have his tips purposefully reduced should think "what can I do to make people happier and/or be better at my job", NOT "I'm going to treat that guy like dirt for disrespecting me..."

It sounds like you are advocating some kind of "gang-turf-protection" kind of attitude by the crew. If the pax don't "pay up" then they should be subject to threats or poor service? Really?

Anyone who has ever paid for a cruise knows there are many more costs than just the cruise fare. Typically this includes transfers, hotel pre cruise, airfare ect. Of course, you add all of these up before you select a cruise. The service charge is clearly noted on the price of the cruise, so just add it to your cost and go or don't go if it's too much.

You are relaxing, the staff are working. That alone is enough to reward them.

Paul

So you are punishing the hard working crew because it costs you more to cruise then Americans???

I am going to type this really slowly so you can understand it better. No one forcing you to book a cruise that charges you more or that has a daily service charge added to your shipboard account. There are cruise lines that don't have a daily service charge...cruise on those lines please :)

Let me repeat I wish that Service Charge was mandatory and payable at time of final payment because only THEN we can have heated debates about some cruisers and their disregard of proper dress codes in the MDR :D

BTW??? I am Canadian and often can not get the same low prices that my Southern neighbours get but I would never think of removing or reducing the Auto Tip or service charge. We always tip more to our room steward and servers in fact because the service has always been great.

No I am not punishing the hard working crew. As I have repeatedly said, obviously too quickly for you, I have no objection to tipping and do so. It is just that I believe the amount should be up to me. That is why I choose Celebrity where the amount added to your OBA can be adjusted without having to answer to anyone like it appears you have to do on NCL according to the original posts in this thread. Great so you tip over and above the suggested amounts. That is your choice. But the stewards should do their job to the best of their ability regardless.

A couple of imes I have asked waiters about people removing the autotip and tipping cash. Every time I have been told that not even one time did they get a full time from one of those people.

Uhhhh, what does that have to do with anything? Every cruiser has the right to pay cash, rather than auto-tip. Anecdotal reports from a couple of waiters has no bearing on what is and isn't allowed in regards to gratuities.

I understand if people are using this as a tactic to be cheap, that is can be frustrating to the crew members, but that shouldn't discourage other pax from doing it that way if they feel more comfortable.

That people are removing the autotip and to reduce the amount paid.

If people remove the autotip it is likely that they are doing so to reduce the amount, otherwise they would simply give cash to whoever as an additional amount. If the service is mediocre or poor, then this action is entirely justified.

Anyone who has ever paid for a cruise knows there are many more costs than just the cruise fare. Typically this includes transfers, hotel pre cruise, airfare ect. Of course, you add all of these up before you select a cruise. The service charge is clearly noted on the price of the cruise, so just add it to your cost and go or don't go if it's too much.

You are relaxing, the staff are working. That alone is enough to reward them.

Paul

Not quite. When I book a fly/cruise the price I get and agree to includes the air fare, transfers and cruise. The service charge is not a service charge it is a "discretionary gratuity". I don't know of any cruise line that describes it as a service charge.

No I am not punishing the hard working crew. As I have repeatedly said, obviously too quickly for you, I have no objection to tipping and do so. It is just that I believe the amount should be up to me. That is why I choose Celebrity where the amount added to your OBA can be adjusted without having to answer to anyone like it appears you have to do on NCL according to the original posts in this thread. Great so you tip over and above the suggested amounts. That is your choice. But the stewards should do their job to the best of their ability regardless.

I was not directing that at you....you have already said you tip....so peace out.

I was directing it at Mr.Ape ( I think his picture on his avitor is of an Ape) who wanted to wear the badge of , "I'm proud to be a non-tipper 'cause I paid 100% on top of what the average US citizen paid for this EXACT same cruise, so I'm allowing my "tips" for the hard working crew to come out of my 100% extra, which is way more than the tight butted USA cruisers who only tip $10 - $15 per day on top of their fare"

A better choice would be to find a cruise line that did not have Auto service charge but had it built into their fare.

As for crew who do not do 100% of their job then take it up on the ship to their management or the Purser(?) not sure who deals with it or write their names down on the "You made a differance cards: stating that they did NOT make a differance and in fact gave lousy service. But to reduce the service charge because of bad service by one or two crew members hurts the rest of the staff.

By having their names and examples of bad service written up is on their records and actually hurts them far worse then not tipping or reducing the tips.

Seriously?!? An employee that does have his tips purposefully reduced should think "what can I do to make people happier and/or be better at my job", NOT "I'm going to treat that guy like dirt for disrespecting me..."

It sounds like you are advocating some kind of "gang-turf-protection" kind of attitude by the crew. If the pax don't "pay up" then they should be subject to threats or poor service? Really?

Oops sorry I meant as a fellow cruiser I wouldn't give those non tipping cruisers the time of day, sorry but if I had someone sitting at my table boasting he had taken off his Auto Service charge and had no intention of tipping at all,(much like many of you do on these boards) I would not give him or his party the time of day.

I am sure that the staff would work as hard as ever to ensure the cruisers had a good cruise. Which makes it hard to see when they are robbed of, or have an reducation of, their wages

Not quite. When I book a fly/cruise the price I get and agree to includes the air fare, transfers and cruise. The service charge is not a service charge it is a "discretionary gratuity". I don't know of any cruise line that describes it as a service charge.

At least two:

NCL - Daily Service Charge (DSC)

HAL - Hotel Service Charge

From NCL's FAQ page:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

I don't mind tiping i just don't like to be forced to do so ,It should be by choice .If the crew don't like their wages well they arn't forced to work on a cruise ship.

Slow down, open your ears and turn on your brain: you are NOT forced o tip. a service charge is added to your on board account. Because you have the right to reduce it or remove it entirely, there is no way you can call it forced upon you. The line has every right to want to know the reason if you do decide to reduce/remove it: A) It makes them aware of a service problem so they can correct it, and: B) They have the obligation to the staff to require some effort on tghe part of the person who wants to punish them -- even though you might like the comfort of being able to stiff them in the comfort of absolute anonymity.

Again: NO FORCE IS INVOLVED - just a reasonable requirement that people act responsibly.

And if you don't like the terms of passage (which include a service charge) you aren't forced to book a cruise on that line.

At least two:

NCL - Daily Service Charge (DSC)

HAL - Hotel Service Charge

From NCL's FAQ page:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

Aha, now I understand the original posts in this thread which indicated NCL's tough line. Memo to self.... never cruise with NCL.

Aha, now I understand the original posts in this thread which indicated NCL's tough line. Memo to self.... never cruise with NCL.

Then,.....you won't be able to sail on the American cruise line that was mentioned earlier. NCL has the only American ship (out of Hawaii).

Your life (and your cruise) will be better if you will simply see the DSC as what it is-----how the crew gets paid. Yes, it is most certainly not included in the base fare. That is to your monetary advantage. We're getting a lot of sturm and drang about the DSC. Lot's of 'em wanta say "it's not about the money!". Well, that is usually,....er,uhm,...not the case. When I see people complaing about the likelyhood poor service from the crew prior to actually boarding the ship, well I really sympathize with THOSE crewmembers who'll hafta deal with such. :eek: Yikes!

Archived