Is the Fuel surcharge back?

nevarez

I'm just wondering with the fuel prices creeping up if RC has begun imposing the fuel surcharge and if so, how much per person. I will be on the Serenade of the Seas on December 5th and want to budget accordingly.

I'm just wondering with the fuel prices creeping up if RC has begun imposing the fuel surcharge and if so, how much per person. I will be on the Serenade of the Seas on December 5th and want to budget accordingly.

No they haven't....However, if they do the fuel supplement for the 1st and 2nd guests would be no more than $10.00 per guest per day, with a maximum of $140.00 per cruise; additional guests no more than $5.00pp per day, maximum of $70.00 per cruise...

Yesterday West Texas Intermediate was $86.85 a barrel, well over the $65 a barrel threshold RCI set for the "right to impose a fuel supplement" clause of their cruise contracts (33.6% higher). Now its a business decision to balance cost verses marketing ill will for RCI.

If you are already booked for a summer cruise, do they impose the fuel surcharge? I'm just wondering if my final payment can be increased, even though I'm booked and deposit paid for a couple of cruises (April and July), or if it applies only to cruises you have not yet booked?

If you are already booked for a summer cruise, do they impose the fuel surcharge? I'm just wondering if my final payment can be increased, even though I'm booked and deposit paid for a couple of cruises (April and July), or if it applies only to cruises you have not yet booked?

Nobody knows for sure but I would like to believe that fuel charges, if necessary, will be added to new bookings only, but again, there is no guarantee. Their "fuel charges" rules stipulate that they have the right to add the charges at any time the oil prices go up above the $65 benchmark. They have not done it yet and I don't think they will do it unless the oil prices reach some ridiculous price above $125 or so....

IF they decide to charge a fuel supplement, they "usually" apply it to any sailings where final payment hasn't come due.....I believe even if you paid for your cruise in full, say three months before final payment, if they decide to charge the fuel supplement you will need to pay the fuel supplement.

AND they probably won't do it unless it looks like other cruise lines are going to impose the supplement also.

I have a feeling they will hold off on the fuel surcharges as long as possible. Introducing it would be a customer service nightmare. Not only would it make for unhappy customers, it would probably hurt new bookings as this would increase the cost of cabins by quite a bit.

First of all the reasoning behind fuel surcharges is supposed to be to help compensate for the unanticipated expense of big fluctuations in pricing where cost go up very quickly. Though fuel prices have gone up they have been relatively stable and the increases have been rather gradual to where companies should be able to factor the cost into the cruise fare.

There really is no reason at this time, that I can see, where surcharges should be reinstated other than, of course, to simply increase profits.

When oil prices become the lead story on the evening news every night you can probably expect the surcharge to be applied. Its much easier to ask for more money when folks are seeing increases everyday at the pump.

Archived