CocoCay better than Labadee?

happyteacher1214

But I would love to know what difference it makes whether Labadee has water on three sides or on four? :confused:

I can not find anything that ever stated that Labadee was an Island. Any offical infostates it is part of Haiti only the unifnormed on here call it an Island.

If only to be a contrarian to what seems to be the prevailing opinion here, I have to say I've been to both CoCoCay and Labadee twice and MUCH preferred Labadee. In fact, I affirmatively do not like CoCoCay. One poster said that there's a "little seaweed" -- at least when I was last there (admittedly several years ago), the waters were clogged with it. And what wasn't seaweedy was very, very rocky. At Labadee, the poster who said that the beach closest to the bar-b-que is rocky is absolutlely right -- almost too rocky to enter the water. But that is an aberration; the other separate beaches and coves have lovely sandy beaches and waters. Haven't been there since they dedicated Barefoot beach to suite guests, so don't know if the lovely beach I remember from both trips is now a suite perk, but I'd take Labadee over CoCoCay any day.

I have NEVER seen swampy water at Labadee. I love Labadee. Sure there are rocks along some of the beach, but it has a magical beauty to it there.

I find cocoa cay rather boring. I much rather be at Labadee.

I've been to Labadee twice and looking forward to my 2nd (1.5th ) visit of CocoCay. CoCo Cay was definitely less rocky than Labadee. Some places in Labadee were worse than others. I was only at Coco Cay for a very short time, couldn't get off the ship till noon and had to get back on the ship around 3:30, (long story, I'll explain if asked. But for relaxing on the beach and walking I preferred Labadee. I like the market at CocCay much better than Labadee, but I tend to avoid them both, but I feel better letting my wife go alone at Coco.

Also in other threads passenger frequently don't get to get off the ship because of bad weather and tendering. I haven't been to Labadee since the new pier, but that might be a factor if I choose again.

Hello My Fellow Cruisers:

Last year my husband and I went on a five day cruise and one of our stops was labadee. I was excited to have a relaxing beach day, but we EXTREMELY rocky, but the part that wasnt didnt even feel like a beach but more like a swampy bay (yuck). Then we come to find out that Labadee is not an island at all but rather a peninsula...wow !

Anyways we will be heading on a three day cruise onboard the Majesty in a month and we will stop at CocoCay....please tell me that this is a REAL beach and are the waters Unswampy (is that even a word???)

Look forward to your awsome responses!

Claudia

I wonder if the cloudiness of the water was due to the new pier. Was it under construction while you were there? I have never seen anything that I would consider a swamp either.

I actually agree with you! I was in Labadee in 1999 (on the Voyager) and absolutely LOVED it!! It was an island paradise. I have been there many times since...and have watched it go from a island paradise to something far less. I was just in CocoCay a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely perfect....much like what Labadee USED to be.

I'm glad to hear that. We will be in CocoCay for our first visit next month. I remember Labadee before all the stuff. I still love it, but I hope they are done with all the "improvements". It's starting to feel real commercialized. I'm looking forward to going back next year!

But I would love to know what difference it makes whether Labadee has water on three sides or on four? :confused:

I can not find anything that ever stated that Labadee was an Island. Any offical infostates it is part of Haiti only the unifnormed on here call it an Island.

Labadee is a penninsula of the south part of Haiti. I don't recall anyone stating that Labadee was an "island".

Labadee is a penninsula of the south part of Haiti. I don't recall anyone stating that Labadee was an "island".

The OP mentioned that was a surprise to them - and appeared to be disappointed that Labadee was a peninsula instead of an island in their first post on this thread.

BTW, it is in the North part of Haiti, not the South.

I think Labadee just often gets put under the title of "private island" since all the big cruise lines have their own private islands. Seems easier to put it in that group instead of creating a group called "private peninsula." It really doesn't matter. It's a private beach area owned by the cruiseline. That's the important part.

The OP mentioned that was a surprise to them - and appeared to be disappointed that Labadee was a peninsula instead of an island in their first post on this thread.

BTW, it is in the North part of Haiti, not the South.

My bad, Kikkycat.... :eek: Thanks! :)

I was flip flopped on the south to north, but I DID know it was a penninsula as I was trying add a previous quote.

Archived