Insignia - Dry dock soon

glorygaf

My wife and I are contemplating sailing on Insignia next June.

We read somewhere that the ship is going into dry dock.

Can anyone please inform me of the likelihood of this happening and when it is to be.

We have read that the ship is tired, it would be nice to know that if we do go it will be on a nicely refurbished ship.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/mediacenter.aspx

Miami, June 9, 2010 – Oceania Cruises has launched a multi-million dollar initiative to update and enhance its award-winning fleet. The comprehensive “Pillars of Distinction” program – the most significant product investment in the company’s history – centers on the three hallmarks of the Oceania Cruises experience: comfort, cuisine and service.

The 684-guest Nautica, the first Oceania Cruises ship to undergo its Pillars of Distinction update, re-entered service June 4. Sister ship Insignia will incorporate Pillars of Distinction this November and Regatta in January 2011. All work will occur during regularly scheduled dry-docks.

Pillars of Distinction amenities and design highlights will be incorporated on Oceania’s two new ships, currently under construction in Italy. The 1,258-guest Marina joins the fleet in January 2011 and a sister ship, Riviera, is scheduled for delivery in April 2012.

"Oceania Cruises has set new industry standards since we launched the line nearly eight years ago," said Frank Del Rio, the line’s founder and chairman/CEO of parent company Prestige Cruise Holdings. “With our new Pillars of Distinction initiative we have raised the bar in upper-premium cruising to ensure that the Oceania Cruises experience remains unmatched."

Can anyone please inform me of the likelihood of this happening and when it is to be.

We have read that the ship is tired, it would be nice to know that if we do go it will be on a nicely refurbished ship.

Tired!!!! I am not sure what that means but she looked good in August when we got off ;)

My guess is she will go into drydock about November 24-25th when the Nov 10th cruise ends

Next scheduled sailing is Dec 6th

Lyn

Tired!!!! I am not sure what that means but she looked good in August when we got off ;)

My guess is she will go into drydock about November 24-25th when the Nov 10th cruise ends

Next scheduled sailing is Dec 6th

Lyn

We spent 38 days on her in May-June and in no way did we find her tired!

She was all "spit and polish" and our cabin was in more than perfect condition.:)

I won't bother to refute the claims that she appeared "tired"; I'd just be accused of being an Oceania cheerleader.

I will tell a story, however, and folks can draw their own conclusions. Several months ago, maybe a year (time is different for us old folks), someone mentioned that one of the sheets on their bed had a worn spot, maybe even a hole.

Frank Del Rio, founder of Oceania and CEO of O's parent company, read that, and immediately posted here on Cruise Critic that he had ordered every housekeeper on every ship to do an immediate search for any worn linens and discard them.

Enough said.

Mom and I will be on that first sail after the scrubbing down. I am looking forward to the new rehab, mattress, etc. This will be my 8th Oceania cruise, and my mom's 15th, and I have never thought they were in need of updating. Always the best. I am excited.

Tired? I think not. We just took our first cruise on Celebrity Summit - a considerably newer ship than Insignia. The pool was badly in need of scraping and painting, there were rust spots on a number of outdoor areas, the mattress was lopsided and decidely uncomfortable, and the linens/bed coverings were nubby and showed a great deal of wear. The towels were so skimpy and thin that I had to take one from the pool back to the stateroom every day for my showering needs.

Taking number 6 on Oceania in a few weeks.

Well, we were on the same cruise as Lyn and we think that some things on Insignia WERE tired looking.....the sofa in our cabin, most certainly. The upholstery was faded and had some snags and nubs. The desk in our room had a door that kept falling off and one of the closet doors wouldn't shut. Maintenance came and repaired the doors 3 times over our 30 day cruise and by the time we disembarked, maintenance needed to come back a 4th time.

The seats and backs on the balcony chairs needed to be replaced as they were stretched very thinly from the frames. They were still functional but looking very worn and in need of attention. Also, a few of the couches in Martini's were in need of re-stuffing, for lack of a better term.

BUT, the bed was great, linen topnotch as were the towels, bathrobes, and the other amenities in our cabin. We had plenty of hangers and space to stash all our "stuff".

Some refreshing will be good for Insignia but the need for it wouldn't prevent me from sailing on her before she goes to dry dock. As a matter fact, I wish we were on her now!

Well, we were on the same cruise as Lyn and we think that some things on Insignia WERE tired looking.

I also was on the same cruise as Lyn, and while in general I didn't find the ship to be tired looking, I will confess that the deckchairs in our A3 cabin were showing wear and tear. When the seat "cushion" is pulling away from the frame, we do wonder if it won't be falling apart any minute.

But that was the only problem I noticed.

Archived