What Should We Not Bring....

heidik

Usually they give you a tote bag before the first port, but it isn't too big, so depending on how much paraphenalia you carry, it might or might not work.

I always pack too many clothes. I have free laundry, and still pack probably twice as many things as I need. I swear I'm going to pack less this year...;) That's not even considering shoes...

Sorry -- the Deluxe Suites do not get a personal beach bag.

The canvas tote bag is given to each cabin (one per cabin) the evening before the first port of call. It is not very big. DH always takes a back pack on cruises and we use that to put in extra items like books and sun glasses and sun tan lotion. The canvas bag we put a couple of beach towels in it.

Over the years I have learned to color co-ordinate my evening wardrobe, so that I bring fewer clothes and shoes than I used to.

I find that one pair of black slacks equals 3 outfits, as long as the tops are different, and the same pair of black shoes goes with all.

As I get older (and maybe a bit more jaded) I realize that nobody cares what I am wearing as much as they are concerned about how *THEY* look... so I let them worry about it, and I allow myself the luxury of keeping my wardrobe simple... :D

Oh, and I bring my own canvas bag... It has my initials sewn on the outside, so not likely someone would accidentally grab it by mistake.

Sorry -- the Deluxe Suites do not get a personal beach bag.

The canvas tote bag is given to each cabin (one per cabin) the evening before the first port of call. It is not very big. DH always takes a back pack on cruises and we use that to put in extra items like books and sun glasses and sun tan lotion. The canvas bag we put a couple of beach towels in it.

Why not?

The only time we've ever gotten anything close to being considered a beach bag was in a Royal Suite on Celebrity. While the HAL bag is nice...we use ours all the time around here....they're certainly no beach bag. Now if I could only get Mrs. K to leave the contents of her triple dresser at home. :eek:;)

Here's a pic of the bags we have gotten on several HAL cruises (left) and the new style we recently got on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Both are 13" high by 16" wide. The new style is made of much heavier material, and on the back it says Mariner Society, with the star symbol.

2592404760099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

This is a timely topic for us as we’re just now packing for our cruise on the 12th. :)

Here’s a list of the things I plan on leaving behind:

traffic.jpg

meeting.jpg

blackberry.jpg

rainclouds.jpg

:D

I'd say for all trips, the three things not to bring are

• a sense of entitlement

• unrealistic expectations

• prejudice against other cultures

I had set aside a pile of each of those but having read this thread I have decided to follow the advice and cut those piles IN HALF. :eek:

More room for 'Umbridge' now (phew! thought I was going to have to leave THAT behind).

:D

You do not need your own bathrobe or beach towels. There are towels given out when you leave the ship at a port for beach use. You must return them. With the planes charging more for extra weight or baggage now, it sure makes one bring less. I seem to bring too many shoes! Also do not bring lg. shampoos, conditioners etc. If you need to use your own brand, pour them into those small plastic containers. HAL does have its own shampoos, conditioners, body lotion, soap and bath gel.

Here’s a list of the things I plan on leaving behind:

traffic.jpg

meeting.jpg

blackberry.jpg

rainclouds.jpg

I actually don't mind a bit of rain - as long as it's not the day we're in HMC...

...and I sure hope my boss "forgets" her Blackberry when she leaves for her Caribbean cruise later this month. :cool:

Here's a pic of the bags we have gotten on several HAL cruises (left) and the new style we recently got on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Both are 13" high by 16" wide. The new style is made of much heavier material, and on the back it says Mariner Society, with the star symbol.

2592404760099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

On our recent Eurodam sail, A couple receiving accolades for 1500 days on HAL accepted their recognition wearing a pair of vests made entirely of recycled HAL tote bags with Mariner pins throughout. What a site, wish I took a picture.

Take a lot less than you planned. We NEVER use those cruise line beach bags that they hand out while we are on the ship. Why, because everyone else has one. We prefer our own, it is very compact and distinctive in color and cannot be mixed up with anyone else's. The kitchen sink can stay at home, along with the dog. We take 2 suitcases and one small carryon. Mine is a 21 inch, DW's is a 24 inch. She is trying to get down to a 21 inch but this can only happen on those cruises where we decide not to bother with the formal night dress-up parade.

I would say lay everything you are taking out on the bed (or floor) arranged in piles of similar items. Than take 1/2 of every pile and put it back in your drawer ;).

Couple that with taking twice the money.

I second that!

Kirk

Over the years I have learned to color co-ordinate my evening wardrobe, so that I bring fewer clothes and shoes than I used to.

I find that one pair of black slacks equals 3 outfits, as long as the tops are different, and the same pair of black shoes goes with all.

As I get older (and maybe a bit more jaded) I realize that nobody cares what I am wearing as much as they are concerned about how *THEY* look... so I let them worry about it, and I allow myself the luxury of keeping my wardrobe simple... :D

Oh, and I bring my own canvas bag... It has my initials sewn on the outside, so not likely someone would accidentally grab it by mistake.

So so true and you put it very well

Cary

I was going to bring a blow dryer (travel size), but HAL says there is a "salon-quality hair dryer" in each room....I hope this is true because I absolutely hate a blow dryer with no power :o

I always take my travel dryer! The power of the "Salon quality" leaves much to be desired!

They may have replaced them but last year my "Maasdam" dryer was not up to snuff.

Bon Voyage:)

If you can't lift it, take some out and leave it at home. As I get older, this cuts down on DW shoes and a lot of things neither of us ever wore. The last cruise (HAL) we found the laundry so much less expensive than our home laundry, we had mostly clean pressed clothes when we got home.

Archived