Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

I really think that with the ship having all the documation on these passengers which have had an emergency disembarkment put upon them that the buses will be flagged to drive right through. The border is a mess to get thru.

Average of $800 sounds way too high. The balconies are probably around that price, but the oceanviews would be less and the insides less still. Suites are more but there are only a few or them.

If you look at the prices for this same week's cruise next year on Carnival.com:

Insides from $439

Oceanviews from $539

Balconies from $659

Suites from $1089

Now, some will pay more than the lowest price in that category, and most will book much less than a year out so prices might go higher, but I'd guess at worst the average price would be $700, and probably more likely in the $600-$650 per person range.

Take all your prices and multiple by at least 2x. They don't sell any cabin as a single. If there is only one person per cabin it is still charged the rate x2. The only thing they don't do.. is charge double tax for a single person.

Today the Paradise is in Catalina. Tomorrow it will be in Ensenada. What would Carnival do with 5,000 passengers on a ship designed for 2,000 passengers?

The Spirit is in Manzanillo today. Tomorrow it starts heading back to San Diego. Same question, how would a ship designed for 2,100 handle 5,000?

Good questions.

Good thing it's not an emergency or anything pesky like that...

Sorry if this has been answered but are the elevators considered the 'bare minimum' of power? In other words, with the elevators be working when all of these poor people try to lug their baggage out?

Wouldn't Ensenada have some type of power to make the elevators work for the ship once docked? I would think they would do the same thing and take the luggage from the state rooms before docking and the passengers pick them up once off the ship.

dec 5th was suppose to be my first cruise on the splendor,first cruise ever actually:D:(.my ?? is....is ensenada docked at a dock or anchored?we have a 36 ft sportfisher and we always have "SHORE POWER",lol.why wouldnt the elevators work for disembarkment?

enough said i am very nervous about this trip cancelling because this is me and my wifes first cruise.very glad there is no injurys and hope repairs go smoothly and quickly.guess well wait and see.

dec 5th was suppose to be my first cruise on the splendor,first cruise ever actually:D:(.my ?? is....is ensenada docked at a dock or anchored?we have a 36 ft sportfisher and we always have "SHORE POWER",lol.why wouldnt the elevators work for disembarkment?

enough said i am very nervous about this trip cancelling because this is me and my wifes first cruise.very glad there is no injurys and hope repairs go smoothly and quickly.guess well wait and see.

its a dock, thats why they picked it. If it was an anchored port (requires tender) then they will never pick it

lol. Are you serious? Take their west coast fleet and transfer the Splendor's passengers disrupting every ship on the west coast? Is Carnival to comp every passenger on the west coast in all ships?

That would truly be a nightmare. The Splendor's passengers will be fine being bused from Encinada. They do it all the time. It's Mexico, not Afghanistan.

At this time of year, the west coast fleet services Mexico so they are in the area. And I know how pinched Carnival is making ends meet (witness the fire in the engine room).

But most of all, I want to interrupt all those life long dreams of taking an overnight cruise to Ensenada with Catalina thrown in as a bonus. Really, I do.

PS: Do you really think the war in Afghanistan is all that much different from the war in Mexico?

Actually we drove into Mexico with no problem. If you get the green light you drive on in. If you get the red light you have to pull over and they might check your car with the dog.

Otherwise when you leave Mexico is when you have to show your ID. Tell them what you bought, because technically you can only have 2 bottles of tequilla or booze each and 1 carton of smokes.

We had to show are DL but had our BC with us. No problems. They also have the dogs walking around the vechicles while you are in line to get out. It is stop and go traffic. Like a toll booth. Each car goes in. Trucks get pulled aside and the dogs and mirror inspectors are there.

The border is a specticle really. People selling stuff for about 3 miles. right on the side of the road. So if you forgot something just tell someone and they'll get it for you. Its a sight.

Sorry. I should have been a little more descriptive. I was referring to the people who were thinking you can't get back into the country without a passport. It is certainly easier to get back in with a passport but BC and DL usually do just fine. If you're a US citizen they must let you go through.

Sorry. I should have been a little more descriptive. I was referring to the people who were thinking you can't get back into the country without a passport. It is certainly easier to get back in with a passport but BC and DL usually do just fine. If you're a US citizen they must let you go through.

Or if you had the passcard...lol...

All this talk about passports, seriously does anyone really think in this type of situation the U.S. citizens won't be allowed to return home? I have a passport BTW but there are so many posts about passports on this thread and they should have gotten one instead of thinking about how the passengers are coping with this situation and how you would cope. We can sit here all cozy and think we would be fine but realistically do you think last night was pretty for them?

You are exactly correct. Homeland Security/Border Patrol is required to allow you entrance into the US as long as you're a US citizen. They cannot prevent you from entering, even without documentation. It may take a little longer to establish your identity though without any docs.

Docked! We were there mid-Oct. on the Paradise and they backed right up to the dock.

While I could certainly appreciate the adventure of this for a while, the bloom would soon be off that rose, and frustration would set in. Me thinks this is the 'easy' part of this journey and even the hard-core enthusiasts will have their last nerve tested before this is over (they'll just handle it better).

Agreed!

I did a little research...

From ICE (Philly office): Assuming the passengers disembark in Mexico and Mexico customs clears them, passengers without passports will be subject to additional screening at the border. Depending on the number of people this could take several hours overall. They could not confirm if extra agents would be provided when the buses would be expected to arrive, but this is likely, and it is also likely passengers without passports will be grouped on specific vehicles to avoid delaying the larger group. Some form of bonded bus would also be an option assuming the ICE office that will be handling this agrees, however that would require ICE officials to be present at the port, which may or may not be arrangeable.

From AP News:

The ship is expected to be towed to California for repairs and service. At tug speeds this could take up to 10 days depending on sea conditions. My thoughts: 1> this means the ship will continue to operate on secondary power and therefore be unsuitable for passengers. 2> If you are on the next two sailings I would be seeking other options.

It's interesting to read all the different opinions. I'm certainly thankful that this situation on the Splendor didn't happen when I was on it's trans-Atlantic crossing. It could have taken months to get home had a fire happened in the mid Atlantic. Guess I'd never really thought about it before, but I'm surprised at how long it's taking the tugs to get to them.

I feel really badly for everyone onboard, but especially for the crew since they have the dubious honor of trying to keep 3000 passengers reasonably passified during a terrible situation. As for the passengers, the older passengers, the disabled regardless of age, & the war veterans of all generations have already figured out that that life has its ups & downs & that some "downs" are much much worse than others. The same can be said for people who have been victims of earthquakes, hurricaines, tornados, floods & crime. The passengers that will have the hardest time are those who expect life to be nothing more than one big bowl of cherries. Sadly, there will probably be quite a few of those. The part that would bother me the most would have been the non-flushing toilets............then when I really think about it, in the grand scheme of things, the world survived for thousands of years without flushing toilets. Let's face it, we take too many conveniences for granted, myself included.

At this time of year, the west coast fleet services Mexico so they are in the area. And I know how pinched Carnival is making ends meet (witness the fire in the engine room).

But most of all, I want to interrupt all those life long dreams of taking an overnight cruise to Ensenada with Catalina thrown in as a bonus. Really, I do.

PS: Do you really think the war in Afghanistan is all that much different from the war in Mexico?

By the time they off loaded the passengers on the Spirit and the Paradise, then got the ships to Ensinada, all the passengers on the Splendor will be home in bed. What could using those ships possibly accomplish other than to disrupt even more people?

Logistics.

And yes, I think Afghanistan and Mexico are light years apart.

Wouldn't Ensenada have some type of power to make the elevators work for the ship once docked? I would think they would do the same thing and take the luggage from the state rooms before docking and the passengers pick them up once off the ship.

I think they can just plug her in.

Of course they will be allowed in. There will just be a delay. Of how long, I don't know. But there is a reason for having a passport, and it is not just so the government can get a picture of you.

I doubt anyone will care. If necessary, a US Embassy or Consulate could issue transportation letters for all US citizens and notify customs and immigration of same. Non-US citizens probably already have all the documentation they need.

Archived