Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

I called Carnival's wedding department about 30 min ago to ask them about s Plan B for my wedding. They told me that they are still planning on sailing on 11/14. Let's see, if they get into Ensanada Wed afternoon (being generous), wave their magic wands and ship gets out by Thursday morning on it's own power, crew spends Friday and Saturday cleaning up the boat, I guess it could sail on Sunday.

Any one out there want to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge?

Yes Carnival has been very good to the passengers on board ship right now, I just hope that the PR spin doesn't end after the ship makes it back to Long Beach or where ever, and they keep us in the loop on our upcoming cruise/vacation plans and not wait till the week before to cancel upcoming cruises.

I'll remain a Carnival cruiser. I really enjoyed myself on my past cruise with them. I just don't want to be left not knowing until the last minute if I should change my wedding plans.

Shouldn't we be more compasionate towards these 4,000 people lost at sea. All we can talk about are twinkies and Spam?

Although, are we sure the Spam didn't cause the panick attacks???

:)What 4,000 lost at sea?? We know where they are, they know where they are. Just don't know for sure when they are gonna get home, or to...:)

Sorry, could not resist, I am so bad:D

The S P A M would definitely cause me to panic!!!

Joanie

I called Carnival's wedding department about 30 min ago to ask them about s Plan B for my wedding. They told me that they are still planning on sailing on 11/14. Let's see, if they get into Ensanada Wed afternoon (being generous), wave their magic wands and ship gets out by Thursday morning on it's own power, crew spends Friday and Saturday cleaning up the boat, I guess it could sail on Sunday.

Yes Carnival has been very good to the passengers on board ship right now, I just hope that the PR spin doesn't end after the ship makes it back to Long Beach or where ever, and they keep us in the loop on our upcoming cruise/vacation plans and not wait till the week before to cancel upcoming cruises.

I'll remain a Carnival cruiser. I really enjoyed myself on my past cruise with them. I just don't want to be left not knowing until the last minute if I should change my wedding plans.

Ouch! Talk about timing.

In another thread I read the 14 sailing is cancelled.

Damn there's a lot of misinfo flying around.

I'm gone on Dec 12 - I'm not overly worried! Yet.

Ouch! Talk about timing.

In another thread I read the 14 sailing is cancelled.

Damn there's a lot of misinfo flying around.

I'm gone on Dec 12 - I'm not overly worried! Yet.

i think its a bit hard to tell right now on cancel cruises until the ship is back in port and they examine the damage

OH man, I hope you can get a straight answer out of them ASAP so you make any necessary arrangements. Good luck sweetie!

possibly: does not matter

l

the supplieis being relayed via the REGAN are reported to have been requested by USCG - we have a bit of experience dealing with large numbers of people on ship with insufficient cooking facilities. (btw - I LIKE S-P-A-M and had my cook make me a S-P-A-M pizza every Saturday when I commanded USCG 724) Sometimes the intial loadout is dictated by what was immediately available ... if you are hungry enough you eat it - btw I lived in South Miami for Andrew - the eye passed over my house . . . no power for a few months. . .

What was asked for was canned food and paper plates/cups. A cruise ship carries a lot of refigerated food - the reefers are not working. Would you ant to eat it. HELLO Chef Boy R Dee!!!! The ship needs fresh milk for the kiddies . . . probably does not have ice any more . . .

MAJOR GUESSES HERE but I have some experience in this world: EVERYTHING on a modern cruise ship is electric from main propulsion to garbage disposal to toilet flushing. The reports indicate a fire "in A generator" ... OK there are several and loss of one would reduce available power - maybe speed loss but this case seems much more severe.

I'm guessing that the fire got to a primary switchboard and the ship can no longer distribute power. When FANTASY caught fire back in 99 the fire was fairly contained BUT it burned thru the control cables for the steering and that ship wasn't going anywhere for a while. (I commanded the largest USCG cutter in Miami at the time). So altho the damage might not require a DD, there could be VERY SIGNIFICANT wiring/power distribution issues.

Is this an 'asipod' ship? I've always wondered how one of these would tow . . . no rudders and all.

Ahh all good observations. I run large commercial properties for a living, and I am no mariner so please save the flames for someone else. Some thoughts on emergency power and the such:

* I agree that the fire must have been electrical and knocked out electricity generating capacity for the ship. In most large facilities, emergency power is always just enough to power lights, life safety equipment, and maybe one elevator in the building to move fire fighters around in... little else. I am sure their life safety systems are still online and power has to be reserved for them.

* If they have restored water I bet they have used what little power is available on the emergency generator system to power the domestic water system onboard to power the toilets.

* If the military is involved, it's a dire situation and I am sure they are running out of supplies including water. As other posters have mentioned, a lot of the food on board is perishable. Most of that was probably handed out this morning while it was still good and they might be running out of food. The domestic water pumps may generate enough to flush the toilets but I bet any sort of seawater to fresh water conversion is not happening as I am sure the power costs are too great.

* If the ship is not moving, I bet it is damn hot inside and most folks are on their balconies or on deck somewhere. I am sure the crowds are big and I pray that everyone keeps their cool and security problems do not arise. It would not surprise me if the bars are closed.

Let's all take a minute tonight to say a prayer for the crew, the passengers and those rushing to their aid that they get through this situation safely. A lot can still go wrong.

-TxBubba

As I said last night, at this point you need to give Carnival a few days to assess for future cruises and then start making decisions. At this point they are absolutely still in crisis mode for the current cruise. You probably won't have a valid answer yes or no for your sailing for a few days so don't let this stress you. Keep up your positive attitude, you'll have an answer hopefully soon.

Call Carnival or your travel agent as I just got word the Nov 14 sailing is cancelled.

I have a contact at Carnival and she just told me that she got an email indicating that the next cruise is cancelled (14th), but not the one after that (21st). She mentioned a huge team is gearing up for the repair of Splendor when she gets back to Long Beach.

BUT...

Time Frame Est.

11/9 - 50 miles off of Ensenada

11/10 - Moved to Ensenada

11/11 to 11/21 - Being towed back to Long Beach

11/21 to ? - Repairs and clean-up

So unless they can tow Splendor faster then some of the estimates, or they are making major repairs while under tow, I don't see how the company line of sailing on the 21st is possibile. And neither did my contact...

I redid my estimates, based on the latest Coast Guard release..

It will take them approximately 24 hours to tug the ship 80 miles into port.

If they do arrive at 8 PM EST, disembarkation and such will take till midnight at least, given the potential chaos. Being optimistic, the ship will be ready to be towed out in the AM if they choose (I suspect inspection first).

Using the best sea charts I could find online, it looks like about 430 miles tow to Long Beach. With calm seas and same pace, you would have to assume 5.5 days, so passengers on board is a definite no no.

That means, realistically the best case is the ship would arrive mid-day Monday the 15th. Even if they haven't officially canceled that sailing yet, I can't see anyway they would do it unless propulsion could be restored enroute. Even then, I would have to think there would be testing, etc. Nov 21 is still a theoretical possible, if the damage can be repaired in the water.

I redid my estimates, based on the latest Coast Guard release..

It will take them approximately 24 hours to tug the ship 80 miles into port.

If they do arrive at 8 PM EST, disembarkation and such will take till midnight at least, given the potential chaos. Being optimistic, the ship will be ready to be towed out in the AM if they choose (I suspect inspection first).

Using the best sea charts I could find online, it looks like about 430 miles tow to Long Beach. With calm seas and same pace, you would have to assume 5.5 days, so passengers on board is a definite no no.

That means, realistically the best case is the ship would arrive mid-day Monday the 15th. Even if they haven't officially canceled that sailing yet, I can't see anyway they would do it unless propulsion could be restored enroute. Even then, I would have to think there would be testing, etc. Nov 21 is still a theoretical possible, if the damage can be repaired in the water.

While anything is possible I don't see this ship sailing again for at least 3 weeks under the best case scenario. Worst case scenario a few months.

Splendor Bride...I'd start putting an alternate plan in place. There is no way if they don't get power back of getting that ship back to Long Beach in time for the 11/14 sailing. I think your "redo the vows at sea" plan is a good one if you can do it! My husband and I got married on Windjammer down in the BVI and we almost did that very same thing -- they required us to arrive in the BVI 4 days before we sailed so the marriage would be legal and we weren't sure we could make it happen. We were just going to treat the "renewal" like a REAL wedding, even though LEGALLY we'd already by married. My wedding was an adventure nonetheless -- the "wedding planner" down there...FORGOT about me. Luckily her assistant was tracked down to save the day and help us get our paperwork done in Tortola (not an easy thing!). So...I have some experience with adventure weddings ;) And now my husband and I charter and sail there every year!

Anyway, like everybody else here, I admire your attitude! I hope you have a FANTASTIC wedding, wherever it takes place!

And I too will sail the Splendor again at some point!

This has almost nothing to do with cruising, but do the following....

go to Google Maps.....get directions from Japan to China....then scroll down and read #43....:D:D:D

Technically, since cruise ships are on the ocean, this post is not off topic...:p

Thats too funny! :D

Read on Carnival's site that there is no AC, no phone service and no hot meals for passengers. They were able to restore water so that the toilet systems are running and there is use of cold water.

Also read that the passengers will be getting a full refund, plus reimbursement for any additional transportation costs. Additionally they will receive a free cruise voucher in the amount of the cruise cost.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Don't get me wrong, sucks that their much awaited vacation was cut short and they are going through all this, but I would totally be happy with that compensation!

and who would have no docs? You needed them for the ship. If you've got a DL you are probably fine. They do usually want the passcard for land crossings but will still let you in with your DL.

Will passengers not carrying passports have trouble crossing the U.S.-Mexico border?

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) states that while passengers on "closed loop" cruises (itineraries that sail roundtrip from the same U.S. homeport and only visit destinations in the Western Hemisphere) do not need passports, anyone crossing the border from Mexico into the U.S. by land needs a passport or other WHTI-compliant document (birth certificates and driver's licenses won't do). When asked how Splendor passengers not carrying passports will be able to cross the border by bus, Gulliksen told Cruise Critic that "we're working with the proper authorities to address this situation."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4213

Archived