Post-Splendor Cruising: What Will You Change?

suebee53

I have changed my mind

I am bringing a fire extiguisher, a rain coat, large flashlight, emergency radio, scuba gear, night vision goggles, a few cans of spam, 1 box pop tarts, first aid kit, maps of the world, oxygen tank, bug spray, goggles, hazmad suit, metal detector, and a set of portable radios.

Did I forget anything????? :)

Sounds like you are washing John Heald's underpants....

I have changed my mind

I am bringing a fire extiguisher, a rain coat, large flashlight, emergency radio, scuba gear, night vision goggles, a few cans of spam, 1 box pop tarts, first aid kit, maps of the world, oxygen tank, bug spray, goggles, hazmad suit, metal detector, and a set of portable radios.

water wings.

On my last cruise (Spirit Halloween cruise) I carried one mini-mag and two small pocket flashlights. I also have a solar battery charger for my cell phone. I also have in the past carried a bag of trail mix for the excursions. Other than that I might start carrying a couple of glow sticks. Since I am a firefighter I am usually prepared for about any type of incident that I can foresee.

Bringing a flashlight is very reasonable.. Because I use a power wheelchair and it needs to be charge on nighty basis I have been thinking what if.. I think samething i m out of luck if it happens at home........

and bring a portable air fresher thingy..

I have changed my mind

I like your list. How about adding a portable gas powered generator?

I carry a small flashlight at all times, so that's nothing new for me. And I've always packed protein bars and dried fruit when I travel with my kids, even though people tease me for bringing food ONTO a food-stuffed cruise ship... now I'll do that whether the kids are with me or not. Otherwise, no changes here.

We usually take a flashlight and a small amount of food and drinks--one 6-pack of Diet Coke bottles, a can of nuts and a package of Gardetto mix. If it's just DH and me, we won't add anything. DD is a high metabolism teenager so if she is going, we'll add some energy bars and a package of juice boxes or chocolate milk drinks. DH and I have some calories in storage that we can spare, but DD needs the calories on a regular basis.

As we learn the details of what life was like on a crippled ship, we are now aware of what could happen on any cruise. How will that change the way you pack (or will it)? How will that change the cabin you choose? Will sailing be any different for you from this point?

At the very least, I will be including a small flashlight in my luggage from now on.

How about you?

We would normally pack a small flashlight and a battery operated scented nightlight that looks like a candle. It works great for when you need to go to the bathroom in themiddle of the night. We also book balcony cabins but some day might be in the inside, never know. :)

I've always carried a small flashlight that has a crank so no batteries are needed. It's also waterproof and has a cord so you can wear it around your neck if you need to. I bought it a few years ago when I took my first cruise. My friends laughed at me when they saw it. :)

Yeah, who is laughing now? :p

My little hand crank LED flashlight looks like this:

K023_bulk_1.150x127.jpg

It says 1 minute of cranking for 30 minutes of light.

I have one of those I keep with our hurricane supplies. I guess since hurricane season is over, I can get it out and put it in with the cruise supplies!:)

Other than taking the flashlight, I probably won't change anything. We always cruise with a balcony, and I usually throw a couple bottles of plain water or vitamin water in whatever space I have available in the suitcase. Not overeating wouldn't do either one of us any harm!:eek:

I have been packing a small flashlight for 4 years, thanks to CC. I've never had to use it, but it's always there, just in case. And it will always be there! What happened on the Splendor will not change the way I cruise. I have no idea what the statistics are, but I can only imagine the number of Carnival cruises that have been completed without a problem. The odds are definitely in my favor that this sort of thing will never happen to me. But if it does...I'll have my trusty flashlight! ;)

PS - I will continue to choose aft cabins, because that is our favorite location.

I was on this ship. I had an inside room on 2. We were lucky as we had cards, and a DVD player. We used the player to show a group of children a movie on Monday. We also had my grandson's bag of trick or treat candy. He liked being able to provide his ship friends with little treats.! N We had enough cards to give a few pasengers a deck before carnival started handing out decks. We also had a flashlight, and thankfullly the batteries held out as we didnt' have any extra. We were able to loan our flashlight to our nieghbors up and down the hall so they could use the toilet and find thngs in their room. What will I change? Nothing except for extra batterries for the flashlight. We will still take inside cabins.

Welcome back. I'm glad to see you are still willing to cruise. If you have the chance please share your experience with us.

:ouum instead of cut off sweats and a tank top, I'd pack some pj's I wouldnt be embarrassed to be seen in and oh a bra that I would grab on the way out-lol!:o

flashlight, snacks for dd. I read on a post about someone keeping all valuables in a bag near by so they can just grab it. Hopefully none of us will ever have to go through an emergency at sea

Yeah.. except that my boyfriend and I both had to constantly turn our phones off to conserve the batteries (since they couldn't be recharged obviously). Both of our phones were dead by the last day and that was with minimal "flashlight" use from them.. we learned that we will definitely be carrying an LED flashlight or something more efficient than our phones in the future. Also we were so glad we brought our own water bottles and will probably pack a few protein bars as well.

After talking with several crew on that fire Splendor trip I learned from them that it isn't uncommon for the boat to lose power for several hours on occasion for whatever reason they didn't divulge.

Im thinking people have ipones, kindles and other things to use that give light in the dark if really needed.

Ok, I was on the Splendor and the only different thing I will bring with me is a flashlight.

We do not have iphones, but our cell phones give out a good amount of light. By Tuesday, our batteries were running low so we kept the phones off until we could get signal Weds to make our calls to home. I did bring my mini Dell with me, to upload photos and I will totally do that again. I had 6 hours of battery Monday and that was good until Weds, since we used it for some music at night while using it as a nightlight. So yeah, a flashlight with an extra set of AA batteries. I already have batteries for one camera soo...

I saw some mention of cabin safes. Onthe Splendor, they are pin number safes that operate on battery. Also the mention of having a managable amount of luggage that you can cart yourself. We were able to get off a bit faster than some because we toted our own rolling suitcases down 6 flights of stairs. The crew formed human chains to get the other luggage down. Good point though to the PP

I do hope to have a kindle by next cruise!

I have changed my mind

You forgot a car jack:cool: and spam:)...you never know:o

Archived