Post-Splendor Cruising: What Will You Change?

suebee53

I have changed my mind

I am bringing a fire extiguisher, a rain coat, large flashlight, emergency radio, scuba gear, night vision goggles, a few cans of spam, 1 box pop tarts, first aid kit, maps of the world, oxygen tank, bug spray, goggles, hazmad suit, metal detector, and a set of portable radios.

Did I forget anything????? :)

I have changed my mind

I am bringing a fire extiguisher, a rain coat, large flashlight, emergency radio, scuba gear, night vision goggles, a few cans of spam, 1 box pop tarts, first aid kit, maps of the world, oxygen tank, bug spray, goggles, hazmad suit, metal detector, and a set of portable radios.

Did I forget anything????? :)

charcoal and the hibachi LOL

I carry a small flashlight in my purse and I take snacks too, so considering that, I wouldn't change anything. I never book insides either.

As we learn the details of what life was like on a crippled ship, we are now aware of what could happen on any cruise. How will that change the way you pack (or will it)? How will that change the cabin you choose? Will sailing be any different for you from this point?

At the very least, I will be including a small flashlight in my luggage from now on.

How about you?

Definitely a flashlight, and some Dr. Atkins protein bars, extra meds, and we would never consider an inside cabin--no matter how cheap the cruise was.

I was on this ship. I had an inside room on 2. We were lucky as we had cards, and a DVD player. We used the player to show a group of children a movie on Monday. We also had my grandson's bag of trick or treat candy. He liked being able to provide his ship friends with little treats.! N We had enough cards to give a few pasengers a deck before carnival started handing out decks. We also had a flashlight, and thankfullly the batteries held out as we didnt' have any extra. We were able to loan our flashlight to our nieghbors up and down the hall so they could use the toilet and find thngs in their room. What will I change? Nothing except for extra batterries for the flashlight. We will still take inside cabins.

Wouldnt change anything. There is no way to prepare for everything that might happen.

The odds of this exact thing happening again that has never happened in the last how many years of cruising .. that the electricity is affected to this degree are so slim as to be almost 0%.

I think it would be a huge over reaction to change my packing because of one accident

Not really 0%... Just about a year ago the Norwegian Dawn also lost most of its power. Fortunately they were close to San Juan so they let the pax disembark in San Juan and flew them back to Miami. Although not to this scale, but they aso had no cabin light or AC.

Not really 0%... Just about a year ago the Norwegian Dawn also lost most of its power. Fortunately they were close to San Juan so they let the pax disembark in San Juan and flew them back to Miami. Although not to this scale, but they aso had no cabin light or AC.

so one ship last year last power out of the thousands of ships that didnt, still below 1% and heading to 0% mathmetically? Even if it was 2%, I cant see me lugging flashlight and batteries onboard.

The types of safes they use do run on electricity, but could be a battery.

I have a flashlight I took on the last two cruises that is an LED that doesn't use much poser and it has a hand crank to recharge it. I got it for a stocking stuffer last Christmas. I also have my LED reading light that is very bright and batteries last awhile. Pls, we had the little Coleman had fans that take AA batteries.

Don't have to change much since I am already an overpacker:D

i never do an aft cabin...but will still consider an upper deck interior..mid ship...but usually get OV's anyway.

will bring a flashlight

I really like low....inside....for the nice smooth ride. Now I'm thinking a higher up balcony..........for the nice fresh air.

Also....have a cruise to Bermuda booked....may change to Caribbean....don't want to go so far from shore

I dont believe the safes are electrical .. they are opened with a card with a magnetic stripe

What do you think creates that "electrical" motor whining sound as the safe locks and unlocks ? :confused:

I usually have a small (one AA cell battery) flashlight in my possession wherever I go, but I too have used my iphone google screen for a flashlight impulsively.:)

so one ship last year last power out of the thousands of ships that didnt, still below 1% and heading to 0% mathmetically? Even if it was 2%, I cant see me lugging flashlight and batteries onboard.

Within the past one year period, just from my memory, cruise ships that have lost power other than the Splendor include the Norgewian Dawn, Emerald Princess and Carnival Fascination. Although none of those cases were close to this magnitude, being on a cruise ship with no power is not a far-fetched event. While I do not agree that it is close to 0%, I do definitely agree that it is below 1%.:)

I always pack water and a small flashlight, but I think I will be sure there will be a few more snacks packed. I usually only take a box of Red Hots. I will probably start packing my own Pop Tarts to go!

And, I have a cruise booked with an oceanview room. I will probably change that and always book a balcony in the future. That's just me. Seems to have been a plus in this crisis. A different crisis, maybe not.

And hats off to Carnival, The Coast Guard and all who helped. It was a great job and it makes me proud to be a frequent passenger!

As we learn the details of what life was like on a crippled ship, we are now aware of what could happen on any cruise. How will that change the way you pack (or will it)? How will that change the cabin you choose? Will sailing be any different for you from this point?

At the very least, I will be including a small flashlight in my luggage from now on.

How about you?

Not a thing.

Already book an outside or balcony room, always attend muster, and can ALWAYS make good of a bad situation without being influenced by idiots.

Archived