Post-Splendor Cruising: What Will You Change?

suebee53

As we learn the details of what life was like on a crippled ship, we are now aware of what could happen on any cruise. How will that change the way you pack (or will it)? How will that change the cabin you choose? Will sailing be any different for you from this point?

At the very least, I will be including a small flashlight in my luggage from now on.

How about you?

Wouldnt change anything. There is no way to prepare for everything that might happen.

The odds of this exact thing happening again that has never happened in the last how many years of cruising .. that the electricity is affected to this degree are so slim as to be almost 0%.

I think it would be a huge over reaction to change my packing because of one accident

No changes here either

You still have a better chance of a car crash, being hit by lightning, or dropping from a plane than being stranded on a cruise ship.

Agreed, but I wear a seat belt, quit golfing when I hear thunder, and stay away from the door handles on planes. I might consider bringing a flash light.

I will definitely pack a small flashlight! Why not?! It takes up hardly any room and can be used for many situations. I usually keep one in my purse and my friends were very grateful when they had to use a porta-potty after a baseball game :D! Also, I will be packing small snacks for my DD(2) just in case of any emergency. I can't imagine not having anything decent to feed my child. I wont go crazy but I think most people with toddlers keep their favorite snacks on hand anyway.

I would probably pack some slim flashlights with batteries. Even without a total loss of power, they can come in handy whether you are travelling on a ship or a land vacation. Other than that, its true that you can't totally prepare for every possible calamity that could happen on a cruise ship or any vacation for that matter.

I don't really think I could change anything, I mean, you can't bring a working toilet on board with you, or a hot shower, or emergency food or drinks, so, I think if that were to ever happen again and I was on board, you just have to go with the flow, and survive a couple days of severe frustration, and all would be well.

Agreed, but I wear a seat belt, quit golfing when I hear thunder, and stay away from the door handles on planes. I might consider bringing a flash light.

How about more snacks and chocolate ... seems to make as much sense to me, so you dont go hungry ... If Im hungry, I can be a bear.

Im thinking people have ipones, kindles and other things to use that give light in the dark if really needed.

PS when my electricity went out at home, I found my sonicare toothbrush lite the way to my bedroom well enough to work.

I already travel with a flashlight (anywhere; not just cruise). If there is one change I may make is that I might bring bottled water/soda with me again. I brought that with me last time and the only time I drank any of it was because I forced myself to because I lugged it on with me. I said I wouldn't bring them anymore...however now I may!

No changes here either

You still have a better chance of a car crash, being hit by lightning, or dropping from a plane than being stranded on a cruise ship.

:eek::eek::eek:

OMG!!

I'm not ever getting in another car, or flying anywhere, and the next time I hear thunder, I'm gonna crawl under my bed!!!!!

:p

Someone asked this question on the HAL board, and here's my answer. I'll be booking with Carnival, not Celebrity. Carnival managed the emergency properly and treated its guests with respect and care. Celebrity manifested wanton disregard in abandoning its passengers in strike ridden France without any evidence of on board leadership during the Century 10/13/10 fiasco. Bravo to Cahill, Heald, and Carnival!

It just occurred to me at the mention of all these personal electronic devices....since we keep our cell phones in the safe after boarding, were passengers on the Splendor able to get into their safes on the last day?:confused:

I dont believe the safes are electrical .. they are opened with a card with a magnetic stripe

I'm afraid I use my iPhone for a flashlight more than I use it as a phone.

I just cruised with someone with a lot of electronic devices .. she does NOT need one more thing that lights up... yes Im sure.

People already take watches that light up when you press the button so they dont need light up alarm clocks.

I'll bring along a flashlight, a couple extra batteries for it, a couple boxes of Nutrigrain bars and a couple cans of nuts. That ensures I have a sure source of ready carbs and a sure source of protein. I'm a type II diabetic.

It may be a good long time before I consider an inside cabin again, too. (Then again, if the itinerary is good enough, I reserve the right to toss that fear RIGHT out! :D )

really ?? Iv never seen a safe using passwords .. Iv seen a few to use number codes. the older number kind are not electronic.

so they have ones that you type a word on splendor?

Ok, maybe I used the wrong terminology. You key in a four digit code. These are the type of safes on the Splendor and the Dream. Electronic

Archived