NCL Spirit back today...

Cruisedeacon

:D Hello everyone... back from the first week of the NCL Spirit out of New Orleans... will have some feedback for all starting tomorrow.. (Have to unpack and wash etc...) just thought I would start the thread... anyone have any specific questions...

back to you tonight or tomorrow...

one thing NCL needs to know is that the ship is leaving from the port of Orleans... cajuns and louisianaians love our food spicy... or at minimum with some spice... the food was sooooo bland...:(

When we went on the spirit a few years ago my son said the same thing. He had been living in New Orleans for a couple of years. I however made the drive down from the Chicago area and thought the food was just perfect as far as spiciness went. I would have had a horrible week if the food was as spicy as it is in New Orleans. I think they have to dance a fine line when spicing food.

:D Hello everyone... back from the first week of the NCL Spirit out of New Orleans... will have some feedback for all starting tomorrow.. (Have to unpack and wash etc...) just thought I would start the thread... anyone have any specific questions...

Hope you had a great time and liked most of the ship. We are looking at this ship for our future cruise but are worried if the ship feels too old. We went on NCLs Pearl and Epic and both look clean and brand new.

Please share your thoughts about the cleanliness on the ship and if smoking is restricted on open and public areas like near elevators, stairs, in front of main dining rooms, near pools, etc.

Thanks.

one thing NCL needs to know is that the ship is leaving from the port of Orleans... cajuns and louisianaians love our food spicy... or at minimum with some spice... the food was sooooo bland...:(

Looking forward to the review...only 6 weeks more to go!

As for the food, that's one of the reasons this will be my first visit to NOLA, and also one of the reasons I'm only staying 24 hours....

Not everyone board in NOLA is FROM NOLA......

I do not believe that there are any bad cruises, but since this was my first Norwegian Cruise, I was a little disappointed with the Cruiseline. The ship was small, but easy to get around. We paid to eat several dinners, because the buffet was so bad. Even breakfast was not good. My personal opinion was that they are making the buffet bad, so that passengers will purchase meals at specialty restaurants.

I wanted to pay bingo, but did not want to spend a minimum of $39 to play 1 card. Spent money on dinner instead. The employees are very nice and cordial as you pass them. Other than the food, I would say that our room stewart had too many rooms to clean. He would get to us after lunch, so we got where we put our please make up room sign.

We also had some excitement like the Carnival Splendor. There was a room several doors from us that fell asleep in bed and set their bedding on fire. I heard some of the crew talking about it, as we walked by. I do not know what they ended up charging the passengers.

This ship is very easy to get on and off at each port. I did not feel hounded to take photos or buy drinks. We had a relaxing time, but will probably not sail with Norwegian again. Princess and Carnival are more to my liking.

I do not believe that there are any bad cruises, but since this was my first Norwegian Cruise, I was a little disappointed with the Cruiseline. The ship was small, but easy to get around. We paid to eat several dinners, because the buffet was so bad. Even breakfast was not good. My personal opinion was that they are making the buffet bad, so that passengers will purchase meals at specialty restaurants.

I wanted to pay bingo, but did not want to spend a minimum of $39 to play 1 card. Spent money on dinner instead. The employees are very nice and cordial as you pass them. Other than the food, I would say that our room stewart had too many rooms to clean. He would get to us after lunch, so we got where we put our please make up room sign.

We also had some excitement like the Carnival Splendor. There was a room several doors from us that fell asleep in bed and set their bedding on fire. I heard some of the crew talking about it, as we walked by. I do not know what they ended up charging the passengers.

This ship is very easy to get on and off at each port. I did not feel hounded to take photos or buy drinks. We had a relaxing time, but will probably not sail with Norwegian again. Princess and Carnival are more to my liking.

Did you only go to the buffet for breakfast? Do they still have the Scotch Bangers there?

Any specific problems w/breakfast at the buffet?

For certain, Bingo on NCL is a monstous investment. Fool me once.....

Well, anyway.

I thought of my first set of questions:

Please tell us about how embarkation works on the Spirit in NOLA.

For example, what is the earliest you can go to the port, do they check people in and then have a place for people to wait to board, or do they wait for the ship to be ready and then start checking people in.

Where are you on the ship after you cross the bridge? Is it easy to get to where they check your carry on luggage? Is it a tight or crowded area? (On the Sky, they had us enter through one of the bars and there were tables selling wine packages, soda cards, dinner reservations, spa treatments, etc. This really slowed down embarkation and then getting back to get our carry ons when it was time for the area to close was very hard. You had to go against the flow of the people still coming on board.)

Although I agree that Raffles was IMHO the weakest link in the food available on the Spirit, what did you think of the MDRs? They are included in the cruise fare, and I personally found them to be very enjoyable (much more so than Raffles). In fact, I found no need to go to a specialty restaurant besides the one dinner in Le Bistro that came with my package. As they say food is subjective, but you never mentioned the MDRs which do fill in the wide gap between specialty and buffet.

Hope you had a great time and liked most of the ship. We are looking at this ship for our future cruise but are worried if the ship feels too old. We went on NCLs Pearl and Epic and both look clean and brand new.

Please share your thoughts about the cleanliness on the ship and if smoking is restricted on open and public areas like near elevators, stairs, in front of main dining rooms, near pools, etc.

Thanks.

There is no smoking near the elevators, stairs, in front of restaurants. Smoking is designated to one side of the ship outside around the pool.

A few questions -

What night was the laundry bag special? What were the laundry prices like at other times?

How was it like getting off the ship on Sunday? Do you know what time everyone was off?

Do you think I could drop bags off first thing on Sunday (maybe 9 am) and then take the streetcar into the French Quarter for the morning/early afternoon and then come back and check in and board the ship at 2 or 3 pm?

I am really looking forward to your review! I am seriously considering that very cruise out of New Orleans in May.. I have cruised twice...both with Carnival and I'm more than slightly apprehensive about booking NCL...needlessly so I'm sure!

Of course I am interested in the included food items...Carnival is really pretty good in the MDR. Also interested in the pool areas...LOTS of room with Carnival along with a HUGE TV to keep one company. Just wondering how the Spirit compares?

THANKS!

Did you only go to the buffet for breakfast? Do they still have the Scotch Bangers there?

Any specific problems w/breakfast at the buffet?

Yes, they have Scotch bangers. Had 'em every day. And the breakfast buffet is just fine...everything you could ask for at breakfast, including three stations for custom eggs. Essentially the same as on any other NCL ship, except smaller in size. I don't understand the complaints.

I also watched her pull away this evening. I will be sailing on her this next sunday and have been reading everything I can find. This will be my first time with ncl. I have been with carnival 7 times and after reading for the last few months, I am anxious to actually see the differences. Hope to hear more from you soon and when i return I will also give a review.

I am so happy:D:Dto hear there are Scotch bangers!!

They are wonderfully spiced, uniquely delicious sausages. I prefer to have breakfast in the MDR and they used to serve them in the MDR's, but now only in the buffets. I may just have to go up to the buffet, get a couple of bangers and take them to the MDR. Maybe if enough of us do that, they will bring them back to the MDR's.

Now, on to more important matters, is Jane L. Powell an entertainer on the Spirit? (Please say yes!)

I am really looking forward to your review! I am seriously considering that very cruise out of New Orleans in May.. I have cruised twice...both with Carnival and I'm more than slightly apprehensive about booking NCL...needlessly so I'm sure!

Of course I am interested in the included food items...Carnival is really pretty good in the MDR. Also interested in the pool areas...LOTS of room with Carnival along with a HUGE TV to keep one company. Just wondering how the Spirit compares?

THANKS!

I've been on the spirit twice and am booked again for february.

I must say that thankfully, there is no giant TV on the deck.

Yes, they have Scotch bangers. Had 'em every day. And the breakfast buffet is just fine...everything you could ask for at breakfast, including three stations for custom eggs. Essentially the same as on any other NCL ship, except smaller in size. I don't understand the complaints.

Yep. They usta have'em in MDR for breakfast. Then, no more! That's the only thing that draws me to the buffet.

Scotch Banger.... a sausage made with ....maybe mutton. And weirs spices. OK, I don't know what it's made with. I just eat 'em.:)

Jane L. Powell would REALLY be a sweet treat!!

Marinaro44, parden my ignorance, but what is a Scotch banger? Cruise Deacon, what hints can you offer, we're cruising on 11/28.

I suppose they should correctly be called Scottish bangers, although the label in NCL's buffets do read "Scotch." They are large breakfast sausages. See: http://kitchenforager.blogspot.com/2008/12/miko-scottish-bangers-breakfast-of.html Try 'em.

Another buffet-only breakfast treat for me is NCL's muesli. And at breakfast there were always lines of Germans and perhaps other Europeans at the yogurt station getting their custom-mixed fruit, nut, and yogurt bowls. The sticky buns--two kinds; one with cream cheese frosting and the other with perhaps honey--in the breakfast buffet were also very popular.

Archived