Travel Agents discount no more?

OSUKNIGHT

One of the big top warehouse businesses that I usually book with, told me that they no longer offer Carnival cruises because there's no more discounting. So, I see no need to go with that discount warehouse again but will book directly through Carnival. Don't know where else to go to get a discounted cruise.

Hello fellow Knights fan,

When we booked our upcoming cruise a few months ago, our TA quoted us the same rate as I was seeing on the Carnival site, too. BUT we got a $100 onboard credit for our balcony cabin (I think they also offered $50 credit for oceanview and $25 credit for inside), so some TAs are offering incentives, even if they can't offer lower rates.

Nope... no more discounts from TAs. Several months ago Carnival changed the policy. The max that you can get from a TA is now $25 or 5% the cost of the cruise, whichever is lower...

:)

When we booked our upcoming cruise a few months ago, our TA quoted us the same rate as I was seeing on the Carnival site, too. BUT we got a $100 onboard credit for our balcony cabin (I think they also offered $50 credit for oceanview and $25 credit for inside), so some TAs are offering incentives, even if they can't offer lower rates.

I wouldnt be telling anyone who it is even privately .. since as Host Mach says they could be in trouble if the amount is over $25.

This sounds like it could be a group perk...TAs will book several rooms to get the perks and resell them.

It also sounds like the poster booked BEFORE this all took place.

I have my group booked for February 2012 with all the group perks.

We set this up BEFORE carnival changed the rules.

We are cruising the Valor on Valentines day, 2012 with 100.00 cabin credit

Information is in my link below

This was stopped a few months ago. I suspect that you got in just under the wire. These types of incentives are not available any longer.

Call me crazy, but I'm glad that TA's don't discount anymore. Not only does it make shopping for cruises easier, but it also forces these TA's to learn the Carnival product if they want to have an edge over other TA's. Too many times I've read on these boards how someone booked their cruise from xyz because they offered a discount or incentive, only to find out they were dealing with the incompetent TA from hell...

This is now inline with other cruise lines, specifically RC. TA's are not allowed to discount the cruise fare but are allowed to give back some of their commission as pre-paid tips, etc.

DW is a TA but is a corporate agent and does no vacation. Her agency has a dedicated cruise desk. One nice perk is that all agents at her company are able to deduct the commission from the cruise fare which is a nice discount. After dealing with travel all day long, DW lets me do all the research for our vacations. The one nice thing about using an agent is you do get a more personal experience, assuming you have a good agent!

I just did a quick search online of two well-known cruise travel agencies. One offers "points" for booking cruises through them that can be used for onboard credit, insurance or onboard gifts. The other agency is offering pre-paid gratuities and onboard credit for select Carnival cruises.

I've been using the same agency for years now and based on the excellent service we've always received from them, will continue to book cruises through them -- whether I can get the same price directly through Carnival or not.

Call me crazy, but I'm glad that TA's don't discount anymore. Not only does it make shopping for cruises easier, but it also forces these TA's to learn the Carnival product if they want to have an edge over other TA's. Too many times I've read on these boards how someone booked their cruise from xyz because they offered a discount or incentive, only to find out they were dealing with the incompetent TA from hell...

do you think the people who work directly at the cruiselines know more then an outside agent who books cruises?

do you think the people who work directly at the cruiselines know more then an outside agent who books cruises?

I think you can find a great PVP or a great TA, who is better than a mediocre anything... depends on the person. Some people are better at their jobs than others, you just have to find them.

Like firefly wrote, you can find great TA's and great Carnival PVP's. But if these travel professional's livelihood depends on their product knowledge, customer service, and professionalism instead of some discount, they will become better travel professionals. Ultimately, us, the cruising public, wins.

Personally, if somebody ever held a Carnival knowledge competition, I would bet with confidence that the PVP that I've been dealing with for the last five years would beat ANY TA or PVP out there. Some of the things that I've learned about cruising through her mesmerize me, and I've been cruising for thirty years!

In my case, yes. After my last experience with a TA, i won't use one unless I absolutely have to. My PVP has been with Carnival for a while and is absolutely wonderful!

Discount or not, I would'nt give up my wonderful TA for anything. Honestly, if I tried to do it myself I'am sure I would end up in Siberia or Japan or somewhere. LOL She works on on hourly wage, not commision, and always goes above and beyond for us.

Now if I can just come up with some money for another cruise! Sure going to miss the $25 deposit for a group.

Nope... no more discounts from TAs. Several months ago Carnival changed the policy. The max that you can get from a TA is now $25 or 5% the cost of the cruise, whichever is lower...

:)

You are totally correct. When I shopped mine, I just decided to use a PVP and quit messing around for a few bucks. I used to use online TA's exclusively but will not for a CCL cruise.

The $25.00 is still available, just look at the member cruises on here, some still have the $25 that were booked after the date. Also, just got rates for a family group and the $25was offered through my TA. Just no booking numbers until full deposit paid in Jan. No big discounts back except for 5%. As Carnival said, no changes just doing what they were supposed to do all along. Also ES can now be used with group.

I was surprised when I called the warehouse club TA to book a cruise mid-August and was told they no longer sell Carnival cruises. Not a coincidence that Carnival's pricing policy changed August 1st.

I used a different TA and got a nice OBC.

The $25.00 is still available, just look at the member cruises on here, some still have the $25 that were booked after the date. Also, just got rates for a family group and the $25was offered through my TA. Just no booking numbers until full deposit paid in Jan. No big discounts back except for 5%. As Carnival said, no changes just doing what they were supposed to do all along. Also ES can now be used with group.

If you believe the hosts of these cruises .. the $25 deposit is pulled .. even if the threads say $25 deposit ...it not available any longer.

Pulled as of Nov 1st. There was even a thread giving a count down to when the $25 deposit would be pulled.

Archived