Cruise ship passengers robbed at gunpoint

jmraggs

We'll be going to St. Kitts on our December AOS cruise. I haven't heard anything about RCCL changing things. Given that Celebrity is only stopping that particular tour, and not cancelling the port of call, I imagine that RCCL might do the same.

The news just reported Celebrity is indefinitely canceling St. Kitts. It was mentioned Princess is doing the same.

This sort of thing has happened in several ports like St. Thomas, Jamaica, and Nassau. For them to completely cancel this port must mean there is a string of incidents or threats we haven't heard about.

The news just reported Celebrity is indefinitely canceling St. Kitts. It was mentioned Princess is doing the same.

This sort of thing has happened in several ports like St. Thomas, Jamaica, and Nassau. For them to completely cancel this port must mean there is a string of incidents or threats we haven't heard about.

Looks like Celebrity canceled this tour only, but not other ship's tours or St. Kitts as a port of call. Here is the article from the Celebrity board http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4233&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+site%2Fcc%2Fnews+%28Cruise+Critic%3A+News+RSS+Feeds%29 Swift action to cancel a port when something like this happens would certainly be an incentive to law enforcement to help deter this sort of bad behavior.

I would be good with Celebrity and RCI substituting a different port. We went to St. Kitts aboard Millennium in Feb and found it to be an unremarkable port.

I'm not sure they are cancelling the port altogether are they? I read they are cancelling that tour indefinitely. I did read that Carnival Miracle & Grand Princess will be headed to Antigua instead.

They now have an article on the CC main page you can link to and find out what cruise lines are cancelling this port or what they're doing instead.

I am a little confused....did Celebrity cancel this tour or did they cancel St. Kitts as a port of call? Here is the article from the Celebrity board http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4233&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+site%2Fcc%2Fnews+%28Cruise+Critic%3A+News+RSS+Feeds%29

I would certainly be good with Celebrity

and RCI substituting a different port. We went to St. Kitts aboard Millennium in Feb and found it to be an unremarkable port.

I would go with what Celebrity is saying. We all know the news tends to have inaccurate info ref cruises. :rolleyes:

Okay, thanks Mark.:)

Well Fred, I just looked again and it has yesterdays date on it, so it may be a little old if they changed anything overnight!:D

Here is a more recent link from USA Today and is states that Celebrity Cruises has canceled the tour indefinitely, not the port call unless the article hasn't been updated yet if something has changed since this morning:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/11/st-kitts-celebrity-mercury-cruise-ship-robbery-gunpoint/131361/1

Do you recall what news you heard this on? The Cruise Critic editorial article says only Princess has cancelled the port so far - Celebrity has still only cancelled that particular tour. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=4233

Well Fred, I just looked again and it has yesterdays date on it, so it may be a little old if they changed anything overnight!:D

Here is a more recent link from USA Today and is states that Celebrity Cruises has canceled the tour indefinitely, not the port call unless the article hasn't been updated yet if something has changed since this morning:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/11/st-kitts-celebrity-mercury-cruise-ship-robbery-gunpoint/131361/1

Yep, that's what I read too. Gotta agree with Paul though, if =X= is to cancel stops at the port entirely, there would have to be more going on there than we are hearing at the moment. After all, someone was shot & killed on a tour bus in St Thomas and no lines have cancelled that port. Albeit, that was more of a random act of violence than an actual targeted act like this incident.

Do you recall what news you heard this on? The Cruise Critic editorial article says only Princess has cancelled the port so far - Celebrity has still only cancelled that particular tour. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=4233

It was reported on the Fox and Friends show about 20 minutes ago. It was a short blurb and I'm still waiting for them to expand on it.

Is there shopping and other things to do within walking distance of the ship?

I've never been to St. Kitts before. Thanks

Nothing that we thought was worth buying or doing.....in fact, we found that area a bit unsavory. BIL bought a cap from a street vendor and "talked him down" significantly, bragging about how little he paid for the cap. The vendor got the last laugh....the cap had St Kitts embroidered upside-down on the back. We all got a giggle out of that!

Nothing that we thought was worth buying or doing.....in fact, we found that area a bit unsavory. BIL bought a cap from a street vendor and "talked him down" significantly, bragging about how little he paid for the cap. The vendor got the last laugh....the cap had St Kitts embroidered upside-down on the back. We all got a giggle out of that!

lol!! It's not upside down. They forgot to turn it inside out to stitch it on!

We are going to be stopping in St Kitts on December 4 via the Explorer so I have been tuned to this story. It's unfortunate this happened and I am glad no one was hurt. It was definitely a reminder to me that it doesn't matter where you go, things can and do happen. I will be a bit more cautious what I take on shore with me. We have a private tour booked in St. Kitts.

Just a thought here....is it always ship's tours that get robbed? (I really can't recall....except in Antigua, where the murder was not associated with a tour, as I recall....)

Is it safer to go with a local tour guide, since maybe the robbers know they will be recognized by the guide....or they don't want to rob the customers of someone they know? In Jamaica, our private guide was VERY protective of us! And told us exactly where to go and not go and what to be aware of.....

There may nor be any logic here at all, since the ship's tours are contracted through local companies also, in many cases.....

Just a point to ponder.....:confused:

Just a thought here....is it always ship's tours that get robbed? (I really can't recall....except in Antigua, where the murder was not associated with a tour, as I recall....)

Is it safer to go with a local tour guide, since maybe the robbers know they will be recognized by the guide....or they don't want to rob the customers of someone they know? In Jamaica, our private guide was VERY protective of us! And told us exactly where to go and not go and what to be aware of.....

There may nor be any logic here at all, since the ship's tours are contracted through local companies also, in many cases.....

If they have guns, they will target a large group on a tour because they can get a bigger haul. If it's only one individual bad guy, then travelers alone (a couple, for instance) get targeted, especially in places away from town where there aren't any other people around. The general rule of thumb is it's safer to travel in numbers, though. If you're alone, then stay in populated places.

You may be right on this.

If they have guns, they will target a large group on a tour because they can get a bigger haul. If it's only one individual bad guy, then travelers alone (a couple, for instance) get targeted, especially in places away from town where there aren't any other people around. The general rule of thumb is it's safer to travel in numbers, though. If you're alone, then stay in populated places.

Makes sense..if you are going to risk robbing someone, make it worthwhile and go for the big bucks.:(

ANyone with updated info re Celebrity canceling the entire port?

I may call RCCL and find out. I don't have anything booked....but if they are shifting ports then I'd want to know ASAP since we leave in a month.

Except in this thread, I have not seen any news stating Celebrity has cancelled stops at St Kitts.

There is an update at the end of the news story linked earlier today that 4 men are being held as 'persons of interest' in the investigation.

Whom ever did this, they don't want to be caught. Seems St Kitts will hang criminals who use weapons - even if no one is killed.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Dec19/0,4670,CBStKittsExecution,00.html

The man hung on St. Kitts killed his wife in 2006.

It's the Antigua government that is proposing this.

"Antigua and Barbuda has proposed expanding the number of crimes eligible for the death penalty to include any that involve weapons and lead to serious injury or death"

Is there shopping and other things to do within walking distance of the ship?

I've never been to St. Kitts before. Thanks

There is lots of shopping right at Port Zante in St. Kitts. It has a large modern open air shopping center, a craft market for small vendors and Basseterre's downtown square, the Circus, which is lined with shops is about a five minute walk away.

DSC04042a.jpg

The man hung on St. Kitts killed his wife in 2006.

It's the Antigua government that is proposing this.

"Antigua and Barbuda has proposed expanding the number of crimes eligible for the death penalty to include any that involve weapons and lead to serious injury or death"

Thanks. That's what I get for only glancing through the article. :o

Archived