New York City Hotels

shenaniganzz

We originally planned to drive to NY (from Ontario) but have since decided to take an Amtrak train instead (our cruise is in January out of the Manhatten Terminal). We are reserved at the Homewood Suites in NJ because we originally wanted to park and cruise, no bed bug reports and not too bad for a commute.

Now we do not need the parking and since we are arriving at Penn Station, I am wondering if would be better to stay in NYC?

Any hotel recs in NYC? Budget - well, I don't want to remortgage my house for an overnight stay! ;)

Is your date Jan 22? There are three 4* hotels on Hotwire in midtown Manhattan for $132 to $139 for that date. Any one of these would be acceptable and wouldn't break your budget. If you're interested we can try to identify what the hotels might be.

If your plans are firms and you are comfortable booking a nonrefundable hotel, then you should make a decision quickly because these deals will not last.

Yes, we'd be staying overnight on the 22nd and I would be so grateful if you wouldn't mind posting the names. Thanks so much!! :D

They are hotwire hotels so you will not know the names until after you purchase.

As 138East has stated, pick one and book now as these deals will not last.

Yes, definitely stay in Manhattan. It makes no sense to take a train to NYC and try and stay in New Jersey.

4 * hotels that match the amenities listed according to Betterbidding.com

Times Square - $132 - Crowne Plaza, Millenium, Inter-Continental

Midtown East - $139 - Benjamin, Grand Hyatt, Inter-Continental The Barclay

Empire State - $139 - Roger Williams

There are no guarantees - this is the best information available. Approval rates for these hotels are in the 85-90% range.

Once again all due respect to those that don't live here I feel like sometimes the best intentions do not give the best advice. As I have said in the past I live 10 minutes from the port. I have lived here all of my life. My kids live and work in Manhattan. We are very city oriented. This site should be more about experience of where people have stayed then the research they do on search engines. JMHO

NYC has a real problem with bedbugs, not just in hotels in some office buildings as well. This is no the time to use Hot Wire or any site where you cannot check out where you are staying well in advance.

Once again all due respect to those that don't live here I feel like sometimes the best intentions do not give the best advice. As I have said in the past I live 10 minutes from the port. I have lived here all of my life. My kids live and work in Manhattan. We are very city oriented. This site should be more about experience of where people have stayed then the research they do on search engines. JMHO

NYC has a real problem with bedbugs, not just in hotels in some office buildings as well. This is no the time to use Hot Wire or any site where you cannot check out where you are staying well in advance.

I agree, at this time, it may be a better decision to book a hotel that is not unknown at purchase.

I stay in NYC several times/year. So far, haven't had any bed bug problems that I encountered, and that includes my frequent stays at Big Apple Hostel. I'm staying in LIC, next month. Do you happen to know, if there is an online site around that lists the infested hotels/lodging?? That would be the most beneficial of all. :)

There is nothing wrong with booking a hotel through Hotwire or Priceline. Americans have to stop using fear as their main guide through life (IMHO). I don't know a thing about the hotels in my home town, because I don't "travel" there. I do, however, know loads about hotels in south Florida because I travel there all the time.

You could book with the Casablanca Hotel for $375 a night in NYC (rated #1 by TripAdvisor) and have a room with bed bugs. Even the $850 a night room at the Ritz-Carlton could have a problem. The most bug free hotel in NYC could be the $129 a night Cosmopolitan Hotel?; no one knows!

When I travel to NYC (two nights this December and five nights this June) I always book through Hotwire and Priceline and always score a 3 1/2 or 4 star hotel for under $150 a night. I've never had a bed bug problem anywhere I have traveled. Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm not going to worry about it. :)

Enjoy!

Kel:D

There is nothing wrong with booking a hotel through Hotwire or Priceline. Americans have to stop using fear as their main guide through life (IMHO). I don't know a thing about the hotels in my home town, because I don't "travel" there. I do, however, know loads about hotels in south Florida because I travel there all the time.

You could book with the Casablanca Hotel for $375 a night in NYC (rated #1 by TripAdvisor) and have a room with bed bugs. Even the $850 a night room at the Ritz-Carlton could have a problem. The most bug free hotel in NYC could be the $129 a night Cosmopolitan Hotel?; no one knows!

When I travel to NYC (two nights this December and five nights this June) I always book through Hotwire and Priceline and always score a 3 1/2 or 4 star hotel for under $150 a night. I've never had a bed bug problem anywhere I have traveled. Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm not going to worry about it. :)

Enjoy!

I live here I work here, we all live and work in high rise buildings, we have friends who come to NYC all the time to visit and see Broadway shows. I am just saying do not BLIND BOOK. Most people who post on these departures boards are very well meaning but have no clue what it is like since they "visit" every now and then. I would at least start at bedbugregistry.com/metro/nyc/. It is not about price it is about knowing where you will be sleeping.

There is no way to know for certain that a hotel does not have bed bugs. All it takes is someone carrying the bedbugs from their luggage into the hotel room. Even if you check out a hotel, and at the time it has no bed bugs, that is not to say it won't have bed bugs when you get there. And since this is a cruise board, who is to say that the persons staying in your cabin previous to you did not have bed bugs in their luggage? If you stay in a reputable hotel, then you need to trust that if bed bugs are found, management will bring in exterminators and take care of the problem. That is all one can do.

I live here I work here, we all live and work in high rise buildings, we have friends who come to NYC all the time to visit and see Broadway shows. I am just saying do not BLIND BOOK. Most people who post on these departures boards are very well meaning but have no clue what it is like since they "visit" every now and then. I would at least start at bedbugregistry.com/metro/nyc/. It is not about price it is about knowing where you will be sleeping.

I agree - there's a risk no matter what you choose to do. With Hotwire the 4* hotels are pretty well documented as to which hotels they could be, so you will not know exactly which hotel you will get, but the list will be limited and you can check out the choices in each category. If there is a hotel you don't like, then don't choose that category. You will then be taking a calculated risk and getting a good hotel deal in the process.

Enjoy!

If I used fear to guide myself through life I would never leave the house at all. I was working Emergency Management on 9/11/01 and lost alot of friends so let's not talk about fear driven.. how about common sense. Epidemics of bugs or illness it doesn't matter it all starts with people who just don't think about the next person. I was merely saying err on the side of caution. I guess that would be me caring about the next person! I just hope the person that stays in my stateroom before I get on the ship checks out the reviews on their hotel instead of just looking for the best bargain.

If I used fear to guide myself through life I would never leave the house at all. I was working Emergency Management on 9/11/01 and lost alot of friends so let's not talk about fear driven.. how about common sense. Epidemics of bugs or illness it doesn't matter it all starts with people who just don't think about the next person. I was merely saying err on the side of caution. I guess that would be me caring about the next person! I just hope the person that stays in my stateroom before I get on the ship checks out the reviews on their hotel instead of just looking for the best bargain.

I understand your concern, but I don't think finding a bargain has anything to do with finding a bed bug free hotel room. The last time I visited NYC I stayed at the Le Parker Meridien Hotel at Central Park South. The room rates are usually $389 per night. I picked it up on Priceline for $144 + tax. I didn't know which four star hotel I was going to get, but it seems to always work out. If I paid $389 would that have help me get a better situation?

I think paying over $1,000 for three nights in a hotel room would make me feel ill.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

So...I was just looking for someone who might know the hotel that I've booked and give me a thumbs up. Hopefully no bed bugs but I'm now fully informed of the risks. :)

We've booked the Staybridge Suites at 40th and 8th. Anyone have any comments? Good, Bad, or Indifferent? We booked b/c it was one of the few hotels that offered a King Size bed for less that 400 a night and they offer a breakfast buffet and a "cocktail hour". The room also includes a small kitchen.

My husband is flying in from Iraq and we're celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary. Hope I chose a nice hotel.

Looking forward to everyones comments.

So...I was just looking for someone who might know the hotel that I've booked and give me a thumbs up. Hopefully no bed bugs but I'm now fully informed of the risks. :)

We've booked the Staybridge Suites at 40th and 8th. Anyone have any comments? Good, Bad, or Indifferent? We booked b/c it was one of the few hotels that offered a King Size bed for less that 400 a night and they offer a breakfast buffet and a "cocktail hour". The room also includes a small kitchen.

My husband is flying in from Iraq and we're celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary. Hope I chose a nice hotel.

Nice place good choice...you got what I was saying! Have a great time. I assume your husband is in the military..thank him from us for his service. Hopefully you will all have safe and happy trips. I am available if anyone has any questions that I can answer that may make your trip easier and safe.

Tishbo96,

Excellent find! This hotel is rated #13 out of 422 hotels in New York City on TripAdvisor:

Read some reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60763-d1465162-r87214367-Staybridge_Suites_Times_Square_New_York_City-New_York_City_New_York.html

Enjoy your stay!

Kel:)

I had a corporate apartment on West 57th for five years and worked in Manhattan. I do know the city and just don't "visit". I was in the hotel industry in Manhattan.

ALL hotels have problems with bedbugs. You could just as easily get them at the St. Regis as you could The Hotel Pennsylvania. Bedbugs travel with people.

I'm surprised you are so cautious being in emergency management and yes, I was in Manhattan on September 11th.

I'd recommend the New Yorker Hotel on 8th & 34th, just a block away from Penn Station. Stayed there 5 nights last month and it was excellent.

Hi RMM 75. I will be staying at this hotel next June.Any tips or advice you can give would be most welcome ? Kind Regards, Goldfi8h

I had a corporate apartment on West 57th for five years and worked in Manhattan. I do know the city and just don't "visit". I was in the hotel industry in Manhattan.

ALL hotels have problems with bedbugs. You could just as easily get them at the St. Regis as you could the Hotel Pennsylvania. Bedbugs travel with people.

I'm surprised you are so cautious being in emergency management and yes, I was in Manhattan on September 11th.

Your last sentence is a bit chilling! I would hate to think of what would happen if we were not so cautious.

My entire point from the beginning apparently went over the heads of all the people who want to give advice but not over the head of those asking for it.

I still think it is best to know exactly where you are staying during this situation, hopefully this bed bug problem will subside..and not overwhelm the hotels in the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale area.

Hi RMM 75. I will be staying at this hotel next June.Any tips or advice you can give would be most welcome ? Kind Regards, Goldfi8h

Rooms are little bit on the small side as this is an old hotel (the biggest in the world at the time of completion), but they are clean and well maintained after recent complete renovation. Beds are comfortable and bed bug free!!! The flat screen TV and free HD HBO channel is a nice touch on those nights when you're knackered from day's sightseeing and just want to chill out in your room.

The Tick Tock Diner is great for breakfasts or even an occasional dinner if you don't feel like venturing out.

Thanks for that information.It does seem to be in a good location for visiting the sights ??

Cheers ,Goldfi8h.

Couldn't be much better :). I picked the location specifically as I went to see Rangers hockey match at Madison Square Garden. If you are staying for few days, then the unlimited Metro Card will come in handy for the subway. Empire State Building is just a short walk away, although Top of the Rock is better IMO as there are hardly any long queues. The 3 hour cruise around Manhattan starting from the 42nd St pier provides great views, especially of Statue of Liberty. Walk around the Central Park is also a must, and it doesn't cost you a penny (unlike most of the other tourist attractions).

Thanks for the tip, Mommyto2girls. I noted the name and address to the sandwich shop you mentioned. We will definitely hit them up. Love to find local eats! Are they open late? Should be close enough to grab a sandwich and take it back to our hotel.

Someone I know once mentioned a great/famous restaurant near the Brooklyn Bridge. On the Brooklyn side I believe. Do you know what that might be? Any other must hit restaurants? I plan on enjoying my vacation fully!!!!

Archived