What should kids wear in MDR?

Well, the main question of the OP of the thread was whether or not shorts were OK. So, if your husband is one who thinks it's OK to wear shorts to dinner, even though the company says specifically that shorts are not appropriate for the evening meal in the main dining room, then I would expect your hubby to have an attitude I would not particular enjoy.

With younger children, I don't generally think what they are wearing reflects as much on them as on their parents.

But thankfully, your either-or scenario as presented is not usually a choice one has to make. Most of the children I've been seated with at dinners on my various cruises have been both well-mannered AND well-dressed. Yes, it is possible. :)

Very well said, Paul - I was thinking the same thing. My DH would happily live in cargo shorts all summer - well, actually, he does - but there is never a question as to what he will wear in the MDR on a cruise. To me, it's a matter of respect for fellow passengers and the cruiseline. If he were to protest, he'd have to eat in the WJ - alone, because I would be in the MDR. Perhaps your DH would prefer a different, more casual type of vacation?

Where on earth do you shop that $20 gets you 2 pair of nice pants...even for children?

Not only can I find nice pants for my grandson for less than $10 I can scour the racks at JC Penny, Kohls and the like throw in a coupon an presto he has a couple outfits for $20 or so.

Also works with buying for me. I have a ton of nice shirts bought off the discount rack for under $5 each. You just have to hunt them down.

>>>>>snip>>>> Most of the children I've been seated with at dinners on my various cruises have been both well-mannered AND well-dressed. Yes, it is possible. :)

I tend to agree that well-dressed children are also well behaved. They emulate what they see from their parents. imho

(oops. let me clarify: that doesnt mean that a child or teen wearing nice slacks or pressed-type dark jeans and a collared shirt are not well behaved)

Last year my son was 3.5 when we took our first Disney cruise, and he wore polo slacks one night and polo shorts with polo shirts in the MDR's for the rest of the cruise,he always looked nice and many people loved how he was dressed. I just booked FOS for us for May 2011 he will be 5. when we sail Are you guys saying that he will be out of place with nice polo shorts and polo shirts in the MDR. I would let him wear dress slacks on the formal nights and a button down oxford.

Last year my son was 3.5 when we took our first Disney cruise, and he wore polo slacks one night and polo shorts with polo shirts in the MDR's for the rest of the cruise,he always looked nice and many people loved how he was dressed. I just booked FOS for us for May 2011 he will be 5. when we sail Are you guys saying that he will be out of place with nice polo shorts and polo shirts in the MDR. I would let him wear dress slacks on the formal nights and a button down oxford.

I can't say whether he'll be out of place or not. Most men/boys, in my experience, wear long pants, as Royal Caribbean does say that shorts are not appropriate at dinner time. But it is not unusual to see some younger children in shorts.

Regarding the hoity-toity comments implying how no one in anything less than a tuxedo should be allowed to step on-board a cruiseship, I hate to break it to you, but cruising is the CHEAPEST form of vacation one could take, save camping. If you're looking to surround yourself with highbrow people, perhaps you're choosing the wrong type of vacation, not the other way around. Perhaps it was my particular ship or itinerary, but I didn't see a single person in a tuxedo. And while the 70+ crowd may have worn suits or jackets, I only saw a few people in their forties and younger wearing them on formal night--no boys, and not on the smart casual nights. And, yes, many, many people were actually seen onboard wearing {gasp!} t-shirts, jeans, and shorts!

I understand wanting to dress up like the good-old days, but it's a sign of the times: mass-market cruise ships now cater toward families wanting a fun, casual vacation. And more and more people are dressing casually in the MDR as the clientele becomes increasingly younger. It's completely inevitable. As my father said when my grandmother's favorite restaurant that was patronized only by senior citizens closed down: All their clientele died off! Why do you think RCI is bringing in the waverider and rock climbing walls and skating rinks and even Shrek decor: They NEED young families to come in, and they ARE going to cater toward them.

It's funny how no one cares if YOU want to dress up, but those who DO dress up look down upon and criticize those who don't. To the OP, don't let the stoic fashion police stop you. There WILL be children--and adults--dressed in any and all matters of dress. And, there WILL be people on Cruise Critic who will lambast you no matter what decisions you make. :rolleyes: Have a wonderful time with your son! He'll love it!

. . . I know girls could be more money, however, they will probably find more uses for a dress.....

TJ Maxx, Gordmans, Kohls, etc -- all have great dressy options for girls and teen girls.

DD (15YO) has never spent more than $10.00 for a "formal night" dress for herself -- she shops the clearance racks after homecoming season (although the $5.00 black halter dress did require the purchase of a new bra -- thank god we found that on sale at Aerie - $14.95 rather than the $49.95 that Victoria's Secret wanted for a convertable bra!). She re-wore the black halter dress to her homecoming dance and then wore another of her "formal night" dresses to her friend's school's fall formal dance last weekend (her "friend" who is a "boy" - not a "boyfriend" she tells me! he was on the "court" and needed a "date" -- her airquotes not mine :D)

So "affording" to dress to the dress code really isn't the issue -- it is really the desire to adhere to the dress code. If your DH (or kids) don't want to adhere to the dress guidelines for any venue, they don't need to -- but then they should not attend events in those venues.

We've taken cruises where we've decided we want to pack light, we've skipped "formal night" and did room service in our room. But for MDR dining on non-formal nights we broke out the long pants and collared shirts when we dined in the MDR. It was not really a great hardship for any of us. The dress code guidelines are really not that onerous.

I have never been on a cruise where no one or few were dressed up for formal night, never. We, as a family of 4 will agree that on all our cruises (now, I can ONLY vouch for OUR cruises, not yours) the majority of pax were beautfully dressed. We have primarily sailed on the voyager class ships if that makes a difference. Even on CCL Miracle 12/08, the night before cruise-elegant night there was an announcement in the MDR that shorts, jeans, tee shirts, yadda yadda; will not be allowed in and they expect everyone to look great. It was a TOTAL surprise, we actually thought it was pretty interesting that they made this announcement. Now, maybe it was because it was a holiday cruise, I dont know.

Maybe on the Freedom class and Oasis/Allure it is different and only the few get dressed up, I dont know. But even on our ExOTS summer 2010 cruise, I will cautiously say that a "large" amount of pax were dressed up.

Also, cruising is NOT cheap for everyone. :rolleyes: thats why there are different classes of cabins and why folks enjoy getting dressed up. I am sure, NO DOUBT that our kids, now 22 and 18 will cruise with their familis when they have them, and, they will still be getting dressed up. There will always be different strokes for different folks.

If you have a Ross dress for less store nearby, check it out. You can actually find current runs (gowns/dresses) from L&T's and Macy's that sell for $150-$250 for 75% less. :D

Regarding the hoity-toity comments implying how no one in anything less than a tuxedo should be allowed to step on-board a cruiseship, I hate to break it to you, but cruising is the CHEAPEST form of vacation one could take, save camping. If you're looking to surround yourself with highbrow people, perhaps you're choosing the wrong type of vacation, not the other way around. Perhaps it was my particular ship or itinerary, but I didn't see a single person in a tuxedo. And while the 70+ crowd may have worn suits or jackets, I only saw a few people in their forties and younger wearing them on formal night--no boys, and not on the smart casual nights. And, yes, many, many people were actually seen onboard wearing {gasp!} t-shirts, jeans, and shorts!

I understand wanting to dress up like the good-old days, but it's a sign of the times: mass-market cruise ships now cater toward families wanting a fun, casual vacation. And more and more people are dressing casually in the MDR as the clientele becomes increasingly younger. It's completely inevitable. As my father said when my grandmother's favorite restaurant that was patronized only by senior citizens closed down: All their clientele died off! Why do you think RCI is bringing in the waverider and rock climbing walls and skating rinks and even Shrek decor: They NEED young families to come in, and they ARE going to cater toward them.

It's funny how no one cares if YOU want to dress up, but those who DO dress up look down upon and criticize those who don't. To the OP, don't let the stoic fashion police stop you. There WILL be children--and adults--dressed in any and all matters of dress. And, there WILL be people on Cruise Critic who will lambast you no matter what decisions you make. :rolleyes: Have a wonderful time with your son! He'll love it!

Well said!:)

On some cruises we do formal night, and others we skip it. Yes, it can be nice and I know some people like getting dressed up. But to me it is like I am all dressed ip with no where to go. I am sitting at the same dining room table where the night before i was wearing a nice pair of pants and top. Then after dinner, I walk around for a bit and go change anyway.

I also think for families that it is a lot of extra clothes to bring and when a lot of people have to fly, the extra luggage can add up.

I say it's fine to skip it if one wants to. BUt...if you do go to the main dining room you should be dressed appropriately so as not to disrespect others who enjoy the more formal atmosphere.

Just my two cents....

People who don't go all out dressing for dinner bother me. As do people who wear white shoes after Labor Day. And men who don't wears suits and straw hats to baseball games.

But that's the current state of maners I guess. I just got off a cruise... Did every man in the MDR stand up whenever a lady entered the room? Nope.

Sad.

I say it's fine to skip it if one wants to. BUt...if you do go to the main dining room you should be dressed appropriately so as not to disrespect others who enjoy the more formal atmosphere.

Just my two cents....

That's what I told my kids on one cruise, and the other family at our table showed up in basketball shorts and tops. That was good.

Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't realize this was such a "hot topic"! I feel like I need some popcorn while reading all of the responses!

Seriously though! Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. I have no doubt we will have a wonderful cruise!

Sheesh - when would the guys have eaten their meals? There were constantly people coming & going where we were..... My hubby would have looked like a jack-in-the-box!

I kind of thought the same thing, when I read that comment. That is a custom that is pretty much gone from our culture, anyway, but it simply wouldn't work in a room full of 1000+ people.

People who don't go all out dressing for dinner bother me. As do people who wear white shoes after Labor Day. And men who don't wears suits and straw hats to baseball games.

But that's the current state of maners I guess. I just got off a cruise... Did every man in the MDR stand up whenever a lady entered the room? Nope.

Sad.

I suspect that this comment is tongue-in-cheek.

The only time I ever experienced a gentleman rising when a lady arrived or departed the dinner table (besides my now deceased grandfather) was at a banquet being held as part of a International Star Trek fan club event. Very classy. And a great way to impress the ladies!

Archived