San Francisco pier questions

JAKUEHNLE

Has anyone who has docked here before know about non cruise line transfers to the SFO airport. Can one get a taxi or limo outside the terminal, or do you need to book one to meet you after you get through the port security area. How long does it take to get outside the terminal after walking off the ship. At Oceania's $80 per person fee for transfers, I think I should be able get myself to the airport and use the savings to eat lunch at the airport.:rolleyes:

Has anyone who has docked here before know about non cruise line transfers to the SFO airport. Can one get a taxi or limo outside the terminal, or do you need to book one to meet you after you get through the port security area. How long does it take to get outside the terminal after walking off the ship. At Oceania's $80 per person fee for transfers, I think I should be able get myself to the airport and use the savings to eat lunch at the airport.:rolleyes:

It has been confirmed that the Marina will be docking at Pier 35 South in San Francisco:

SFPiers.jpg

In this photo, the ship that is furthest away from the camera is also docked at Pier 35 south.

The least expensive way to get from the Embarcadero to SFO is via Supershuttle:

http://www.supershuttle.com/

Hope this helped-

Have a fabulous cruise-

There should be plenty taxis outside the port gates and it will cost you a LOT less than $160 to get to the airport :)

BTW, the International terminal (easily accessed from domestic on foot or via airtrain) has lots of very nice food options before security - if you have time to spare.

I agree with S & J. Supershuttle is the best way to get to the airport. It's about a 20-30 minute ride, from the pier area and their vehicles are cleaner than most of the taxis we've ridden in SF. It's been a couple years since we rode Supershuttle, but as I recall it costs about $25-$30 each, plus tip. You can book online, so there is no hassle or wait when you arrive in port.

I'm so jealous you get to arrive on Marina in SF, one of our favorite U.S. cities! How wonderful to flow under the Golden Gate on Marina!:) Have a wonderful cruise!

Cheers! Kay

I agree with S & J. Supershuttle is the best way to get to the airport. It's about a 20-30 minute ride, from the pier area and their vehicles are cleaner than most of the taxis we've ridden in SF. It's been a couple years since we rode Supershuttle, but as I recall it costs about $25-$30 each, plus tip. You can book online, so there is no hassle or wait when you arrive in port.

Cheers! Kay

It's a toss-up. Taxi is about $47

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/san-francisco/san+francisco+airport/Pier+39,+San+Francisco,+CA,+USA

Supershuttle about $17/pp. Supershuttle may or may not make other stops in the city (up to 9 passengers). Timing for the shuttle will be trickier (what time to give them for pick up, how long will they wait, or you have to wait for them if you give them "safe" time for pick up).

Either way it's not a problem and a lot cheaper than $80/pp

Seems there are several shuttle companies

http://www.sftravel.com/shutl.html

we are arriving in SFO the day before any recommended services to the FW Area hotels ?

Lyn,

See my post above. I am only familiar with the Supershuttle - prices for other shuttle services should be same/similar. I would go with a "known" entity. You may have to wait until they have "sufficient" number of passengers and may have to make several stops before your hotel.

If you are OK with that, then you will save some money.

It has been confirmed that the Marina will be docking at Pier 35 South in San Francisco:

In this photo, the ship that is furthest away from the camera is also docked at Pier 35 south.

The least expensive way to get from the Embarcadero to SFO is via Supershuttle:

http://www.supershuttle.com/

Hope this helped-

Have a fabulous cruise-

Will this be the same pier for each of Marina's trips to/from SF? we are going to Alaska RT SanFrancisco, next August.

If the Marina docks in SF at 8am, would a noontime flight out of SFO be doable?

It should be. It's about a 30 minute ride to the airport (opposite the heavier rush hour traffic that time of day). If you can get off the ship by 9:30 - 9:45, you should arrive in plenty of time for a domestic flight.

BTW, this is where a taxi would be an advantage as you would not be waiting for additional passengers or making other pick ups (like with a Supershuttle).

Caveat - If Marina is late arriving due to heavier seas/winds (February is the "stormy" season here), then it would be a different matter altogether.

The Marina docks the day before at 4 pm. We can get off the next day. Might be early for us if it takes 2 hours to clear the customs and then need another 2 hours before the flight leaves at noon, and then an hour for a taxi ride.

You would probably clear in LA since it is your first port in the USA after the canal or at least the evening of the 25th

I would think the ship would have to be cleared before anyone will be allowed off.

The Marina docks the day before at 4 pm. We can get off the next day. Might be early for us if it takes 2 hours to clear the customs and then need another 2 hours before the flight leaves at noon, and then an hour for a taxi ride.

If you arrive at 4PM the day before, the ship will be cleared then, if not in LA (otherwise people couldn't get off the ship for the evening, as Lyn pointed out).

Thus you can leave as early as you wish the next morning.

right outside the docking pier can be a "zoo" with passengers trying to leave the area and then passengers trying to arrive for the next cruise! If you opt for a taxi you might do better to not stand in the taxi "line" but walk a little bit away from the congestion and flag a taxi down..that's what we have done in the past. LuAnn

I agree with LuAnn, pier 35 is a Zoo on turnaround day.

We have sailed many times from Pier 35, never used taxi or Super Shuttle because we live nearby. We just take BART from our home to S.F. and then take the streetcar to the pier. We travel light. If you want to economize, you can take the a taxi about a 1-2 miles to the BART station and go directly to SFO International terminal in about 35-45 minutes. Very easy and cheap, leaving you with alot of extra lunch money. You may not want to use this option, but maybe someone else reading this post will find it helpful. I'm just very cheap, cheap cheap so I have more money for cruising!

One other thing. Someone mentioned a noon flight. When we returned one time from Mecixo, the ship was delayed a couple of hours due to heavy fog. Many people with early flights missed them. Just a warning, may be safer to book later.

Happy cruising to you all,

Joanne

I agree with LuAnn, pier 35 is a Zoo on turnaround day.

We have sailed many times from Pier 35, never used taxi or Super Shuttle because we live nearby. We just take BART from our home to S.F. and then take the streetcar to the pier. We travel light. If you want to economize, you can take the a taxi about a 1-2 miles to the BART station and go directly to SFO International terminal in about 35-45 minutes. Very easy and cheap, leaving you with a lot of extra lunch money. You may not want to use this option, but maybe someone else reading this post will find it helpful. I'm just very cheap, cheap cheap so I have more money for cruising!

Joanne

I travel to the SF area a lot, and I strongly concur with the recommendation to use BART **if** you can easily handle your own luggage. BART uses fare gates, so from the street, it's down one level to the station, buy a ticket from a vending machine, through the fare gate, and then down two levels to the train platform.

At SFO, the BART platform is level with the international terminal - exit towards the front of the train. For domestic terminals exit near the middle of the train and go up a level for the elevated AirTrain to your terminal. If you're not comfortable with your luggage on an escalator, I'd suggest a shuttle or taxi. The BART fare to SFO is $8.10 + $2.00 for the MUNI streetcar (route F) from the pier. BART is probably the most comfortable US rapid-transit system.

Many people don't realize that the Oakland airport (OAK) is as convenient to downtown SF as SFO. OAK is served by a bus shuttle with luggage racks (AirBART) from the Coliseum station - the fare is $3.00, but they accept a BART ticket with $3.00 remaining (ticket is not returned), so the trick is to buy a $6.80 BART ticket ($3.80 to Coliseum + $3.00 AirBART).

Fares are accurate as of November, 2010, but double check them in the station.

Enjoy,

--David

Imigration in LA; one clears Customs in the port of disembarkation, which is SF. Can't imagine it will take two hours to go through Customs.

I called pier 35 and asked about how long Customs might take, and was told 2 hours. That might be for larger ships, if everyone gets off at the same time. I didn't ask when they opened in the morning. I hate to cut the flight close , so want to have some time to spare.

I called pier 35 and asked about how long Customs might take, and was told 2 hours. That might be for larger ships, if everyone gets off at the same time. I didn't ask when they opened in the morning. I hate to cut the flight close , so want to have some time to spare.

So now I am curious

Did you ask when they clear the ship is it the 25th when the ship arrives or on the 26th AM?

If they do not clear the ship on the 25th NO ONE gets off till morning...right??

I still think it would be cleared through customs in LA but I guess you will find out in a few months

Lyn

Although I have never disembarked in SF before, I have done so many times in other US ports (San Diego, LA, Miami, etc). I have always just picked up my luggage and walked right through the customs - unlike at airport immigration/customs.

I also cannot imagine officers on the ship taking 2 hours to clear the ship; I would imagine this will take place on the 25th when she arrives to SF and you'll be able just to walk off on the 26th.

Moreover, I agree with Lyn that she will be cleared in LA - first US port. Otherwise any number of "illegals" (theoretically speaking) could just walk off the ship into US.

I just checked my newsletter from a Mexican Riviera cruise from 2006

Our first port on return to the USA was San Diego our disembarkation port was San Francisco

We cleared Customs in San Diego..we had to report with our forms to Customs Officials in the morning before anyone was allowed off.

In SFO any U.S. citizens that went over their allowable amount had to pay duty when the ship docked

In SFO we basically walked off the ship collected our luggage & were off.

We were on the bus by 8:30 AM ship docked at

I just checked my newsletter from a Mexican Riviera cruise from 2006

Our first port on return to the USA was San Diego our disembarkation port was San Francisco

We cleared Customs in San Diego..we had to report with our forms to Customs Officials in the morning before anyone was allowed off.

In SFO any U.S. citizens that went over their allowable amount had to pay duty when the ship docked

In SFO we basically walked off the ship collected our luggage & were off.

We were on the bus by 8:30 AM ship docked at

Then where did you clear immigration?

They bought too many sombreros?:D or was it tequilas?

I agree with your post about clearing the ship in LA before she gets to SF.

Then where did you clear immigration?

I think that the issue here is based on perception.

Although the ship is required to go through (and submit paperwork) for both Customs AND Immigration at THE FIRST US PORT (which would be LA), most passengers perceive that the customs process takes place when the luggage is claimed (which would be in SF).

There will still be customs officials on Duty in San Francisco, and they will observe the luggage claim process and collect any fees that are due, but as far as the Government is concerned the ship is clear after LA.

Archived