First day on the Jewel, in an A3 (where should we have lunch?)

roveer

We sail soon (This Sunday). So many things left to do that I'm starting to get tunnel vision. Hoping embarkation will be easy and we'll get our stuff up to the room and can start to relax a bit.

I've read a bunch about where you can / should go for lunch when you are a suite cruiser but I wanted to ask here to be sure.

So, with 4 kids and 2 adults who will be a little flustered getting into NYC and onto the boat where should we be eating lunch? Hopefully we will be unwinding at that point and can start getting into the vacation. It's going to be chilly on embarkation day so everyone will be going for the warmar spaces.

We plan on sailing out up on the deck above the courtyard to enjoy as much as possible.

Definitely Cagney's! It's a great way to begin to experience all the benefits of cruising in a Courtyard Villa. You are going to ABSOLUTELY LOVE that villa. We were in 14006 on the Jewel, and it was amazing. It was so amazing that we don't want to cruise in anything less than a CYV. Unfortunately, our checkbook/savings account thinks otherwise. ;)

I agree with Cagney's --- lunch there on embarkation day, while the rest of the ship is fighting the chaos in the buffet, is a great way to get your suite life on your cruise underway. Don't worry about bringing your kids, there are kid friendly choices on the menu, and we have seen plenty of kids eating in Cagney's with their parents.

There are times that eating in the courtyard is nice, but overall, it can be BORING, even for adults.

And, on the embarkation day, the staff is very busy. Sure, they will bring you lunch, but personally, I feel that is an burden to them.

I actually think it is especially fun to have lunch on the first day in Cagney's, watching the hustle and bustle outside ---- and feeling glad that I am not out there amidst it! You'll have plenty of chances to have meals in the courtyard during the week.

We are just of the Jewel from a Courtyard Villa and definitely preferred Cagney's to dining in the Courtyard. The food in Cagney's arrives hotter and overall it is a better dining service. Plus there is more of a selection for breakfast at Cagney's with the "appetizer" buffet in addition to the main menu.

Having said that it was nice on days we were lounging in the Courtyard anyway to just order lunch from Cagney's or Blue Lagoon and have it served there. Rodney, the Courtyard butler, was very nice and was always asking what he could do for us.

I also recommend trying room service. One of my favorite meals was the dinner from Tsar's that Erlindo (our suite butler) set up for us in our Villa the last night. The balcony is not big enough for dining but we did enjoy coffee out there in the mornings - loved the in suite cappucino machine.

Have a great cruise!

With lunch at Cagney's being one of the perks for suite passengers there is no reason to eat lunch anywhere else. I actually think the lunches there are far better than dinner... especially for the surcharge. Though, as noted above, with kids the menu may not always be to their liking.

Change of plans... I was fortunate enough to be able to upgrade to the Garden Villa for next week's cruise. I know you can get all kinds of things delivered up there and there is a 6 person indoor table as well as 6 person outdoor table. In NYC it will be chilly on Sunday maybe 50 degrees so inside would be preferred. I'm just wondering if it would still make sense to go down to Cagney's for lunch? While the GV is awsome I'm hopeing not to become a hermit and miss out on lots of shipboard fun.

So, dine in or go down to Cagney's?

Change of plans... I was fortunate enough to be able to upgrade to the Garden Villa for next week's cruise. I know you can get all kinds of things delivered up there and there is a 6 person indoor table as well as 6 person outdoor table. In NYC it will be chilly on Sunday maybe 50 degrees so inside would be preferred. I'm just wonering if it would still make sense to go down to Cagney's for lunch? While the CV is awsome I'm hopeing not to become a hermit and miss out on lots of shipboard fun.

Order from the Cagneys menu and have it delivered to the GV....;)...have a great cruise...

As one person said, if you eat in Cagney's you will be able to look out the window and see all the activity of new people coming aboard.

I also think the Quality of the food will be better as it is served in the dining room, vs being carried to your suite or courtyard.

And, I think it is wrong to ask the staff to be dealing with private meal service that day. Inside of about 4 hours, they have to check in all the suite guests, explain all the amenities, deal with requests like pillow, ice, special this, special that, booking this, booking that. They have way too many things to deal with that day. If you ask, they will serve you, but, why?

I agree with Garycarla!

Me too. You will have plenty of time for the ensuite experience. For me the first day is all about checking out the ship! And won't u want to try both Cagney's and ensuite early on to see which you prefer?

Enjoy!

Me too. You will have plenty of time for the ensuite experience. For me the first day is all about checking out the ship! And won't u want to try both Cagney's and ensuite early on to see which you prefer?

Enjoy!

I'm leaning towards taking the family down to Cagney's. I know there's tons of space in the suite but we'll have tons of time for that. We usually enjoy breakfast in the room and on this trip maybe more lunches too, but "going out" is as much or more fun.

Nothing guarantees the suite will be available as soon as you board. While they make every effort to get the A1's cleaned and set to welcome guests at boarding time, if the previous guests were late departing, it may be a little after noon. Gary is right, having lunch there could be a real inconvenience as other suites need getting ready.

Al

I'm leaning towards taking the family down to Cagney's. I know there's tons of space in the suite but we'll have tons of time for that. We usually enjoy breakfast in the room and on this trip maybe more lunches too, but "going out" is as much or more fun.

Have a great cruise on the Jewel!

Congratulations on the room! We will be on the jewel in a couple of weeks. Do you know who the current concierge is by any chance? or th food and beverage director or hotel director?

Have great cruise!

Coffeecat

Congratulations on the room! We will be on the jewel in a couple of weeks. Do you know who the current concierge is by any chance? or th food and beverage director or hotel director?

Have great cruise!

Coffeecat

I know Adrian Bica is back as concierge, new hotel director, and I think the F&B Director is the same.. Areyou on the Dec 5 sailing? Come join our Roll Call!

Robin

Archived