honest opinions

angel_05_92001

Im going to be on the legend in december. Would these 2 dresses be okay for the formal. im a plus size gal!

http://img7.sellersourcebook.com/users/24418/1029dresscombo.jpg

http://img7.sellersourcebook.com/users/24418/0929_funfash_zqa.jpg

I think it depends on what you mean by "okay".

You certainly won't be turned away from any dining venue, and they're pretty dresses, so if that's what you mean by "okay", then you're fine.

However, if you're asking if they're formal and you want to be dressed formally, then, no, they're not formal dresses, especially the 2nd one.

The first one, if it didn't show so much cleavage, is the kind of dress one would wear to work, or for a casual dinner out.

Again, they're pretty, but not formal.

Your choice.

Legend is Carnival, right? And they have "cruise elegant" which is not "formal" so I think those dresses will be appropriate. With my breast size, I don't think I could find a supportive enough bra to wear with either dress so I don't think I could wear them (and I'm 37, so they're not staying up on their own:p)

However, if you're asking if they're formal and you want to be dressed formally, then, no, they're not formal dresses, especially the 2nd one.

The first one, if it didn't show so much cleavage, is the kind of dress one would wear to work, or for a casual dinner out.

Wow. I'm wondering where you work (or eat a casual dinner) that the women wear floor-length dresses.

Im going to be on the legend in december. Would these 2 dresses be okay for the formal. im a plus size gal!

http://img7.sellersourcebook.com/users/24418/1029dresscombo.jpg

http://img7.sellersourcebook.com/users/24418/0929_funfash_zqa.jpg

Just off the Legend 2 weeks ago and both of those dresses are lovely and will be just perfect for formal nights. In addition, they will look great with some of the backdrops for the pictures.

Wow. I'm wondering where you work (or eat a casual dinner) that the women wear floor-length dresses.

Long summer dresses have been very popular all over the US for the past two summers. They're worn daytime with casual sandals and handbags. You haven't seen any where you live?

While many people can't wear them to work, many of the women in my industry do. I'm in the beauty/fashion magazine biz, so dressing like this for work or a work function is perfectly normal and everyday (sans all that cleavage for daytime).

The second dress has a beachy, pool feeling look and is just a long sundress. Very pretty, but quite casual. Would look great over a pair of ropey/espadrille wedge sandals.

Very comfortable and appropriate for summer brunches on Sunday afternoons.

I was wondering exactly the same thing. People dont wear floor length dresses anywhere I have seen. esp with sleeves. Even if the chest was covered it wouldnt be work appropriate and no one would wear it.

I think they will work because carnival is really casual with elegant night. And i really dont wanna fork out a lot of money on a dress that i prob wont wear again.

Long summer dresses have been very popular all over the US for the past two summers. They're worn daytime with casual sandals and handbags. You haven't seen any where you live?

While many people can't wear them to work, many of the women in my industry do. I'm in the beauty/fashion magazine biz, so dressing like this for work or a work function is perfectly normal and everyday (sans all that cleavage for daytime).

The second dress has a beachy, pool feeling look and is just a long sundress. Very pretty, but quite casual. Would look great over a pair of ropey/espadrille wedge sandals.

Jane, I agree these dresses look more like maxis than evening gowns, and it is hard to shop online when you don't know what the fabric is going to look like in person. With pretty jewelry and hair they will look nice though, and Carnival is not so formal. The dress I am wearing in my avatar is full length and it is a silky jersey fabric, but it isn't formal. I wear it for a nice lunch or casual dinners out.

The first grouping of dresses doesn't look like they are floor length, but calf length. The second one looks like a sundress to me.

Not having cruised on Carnival in many years (and that was back when formal really meant formal), from what I've read they don't have formal nights any longer. They call them "elegant" and from what I read on threads, it's more like smart casual than what I'd consider to be elegant.

With that thought, either choice would work, but I'll agree with Jane110, these dresses are not formal.

Both of these dresses will be FINE....they are very pretty and will be completely appropriate.

You are going on a Carnival cruise.....not to the White House.

I really don't think there will be anyone standing guard to judge if they

are "formal" enough.

I couldn't imagine anyone wearing either one of these to the workplace.

Sorry but I stronly disagree with you on this. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I have a question, being a plus sized woman, myself. With both of those dresses, how in the heck does one find a decent bra to wear? I'm pretty busty, and I don't think I could find a bra that would work with either of those dresses. It's that alone that keeps me out of wearing even strapless gowns.

I have a question, being a plus sized woman, myself. With both of those dresses, how in the heck does one find a decent bra to wear? I'm pretty busty, and I don't think I could find a bra that would work with either of those dresses. It's that alone that keeps me out of wearing even strapless gowns.

That's what I said a few posts up. Even a strapless bra wouldn't work for these (not a strapless bra that fits a busty woman - you know how much fabric is involved there:p)

I did wear a lovely jersey maxi dress a few years ago on the Maasdam - can't find a photo. It did have spaghetti straps but was high enough on the sides to cover my strapless bra.

Ah, here it is: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2048518720084534781DtxVam

That's what I said a few posts up. Even a strapless bra wouldn't work for these (not a strapless bra that fits a busty woman - you know how much fabric is involved there:p)

I did wear a lovely jersey maxi dress a few years ago on the Maasdam - can't find a photo. It did have spaghetti straps but was high enough on the sides to cover my strapless bra.

Ah, here it is: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2048518720084534781DtxVam

You look really nice. What kind of strapless bra did you wear? I wonder, I know that really expensive strapless gowns have what I call "ballistic bras" built right into the dress. I was watching a story about Helen Mirren and her Oscar dress. She showed it and she said the built in bra was like wearing armor. I wish they would do that kind of thing for a llot of strapless, spaghetti strapped or halter dresses. BTW, I'm 58 and I'm practically kneeing my puppies when not confined in a bra. Oh Well, at least when I take off my bra, the puppies fall so far that it takes all the wrinkles out of my face.

You look really nice. What kind of strapless bra did you wear? I wonder, I know that really expensive strapless gowns have what I call "ballistic bras" built right into the dress. I was watching a story about Helen Mirren and her Oscar dress. She showed it and she said the built in bra was like wearing armor. I wish they would do that kind of thing for a llot of strapless, spaghetti strapped or halter dresses. BTW, I'm 58 and I'm practically kneeing my puppies when not confined in a bra. Oh Well, at least when I take off my bra, the puppies fall so far that it takes all the wrinkles out of my face.

Oh my gosh Kitty9 you are so funny. I'm still laughing at your puppies comment. My husband is looking at me right now like I'm crazy. Thanks for a good laugh.

You look really nice. What kind of strapless bra did you wear?

Thank you! The bra is Vanity Fair "Body Elegance Tailored Full Figure Strapless" #74027. I think I got it at Macys (this was 2006) Size 40DD.

http://ucanhealth.com/local/merchandise/?pid=50705&ptt=Vanity_Fair_Body_Elegance_Tailored_Bra_74027

I like it because it has the silicone grippy stuff on the top & bottom of the cup, it's a wired bra, but it's not a foam bra - I hate those as they add too much width to my chest and makes clothing even harder to fit.

It's the best strapless I've tried, but I still don't think it gives great support and prefer to find dresses with straps wide enough I can use a regular bra. But when necessary, it does the trick.:p

A seamstress can add cups to many dresses (probably not a jersey knit, but something sturdier) so you might be able to get Helen MIrren's ballistic bra. I had a backless dress for my senior prom (I shudder when I look back on that taffeta dress, but isn't that what senior prom photos are for??) and I had cups sewn in because I couldn't wear a bra....

Archived