Coffee on Oceania?

Joy R

We are shortly going on our first Oceania cruise, and I'm wondering about the coffee. On previous cruises (notably Princess) I was told that the coffee is made from syrup and is not good(!) so I took along a small jar of very good instant coffee that I drink at home, and just asked for hot water at breakfast. Should I do that on Oceania, or is the coffee drinkable? I'm not a coffee fanatic who needs to drink it all day, but I do like a good cup or two at breakfast.

Many thanks for any input from coffee drinkers!

We are shortly going on our first Oceania cruise, and I'm wondering about the coffee. On previous cruises (notably Princess) I was told that the coffee is made from syrup and is not good(!) so I took along a small jar of very good instant coffee that I drink at home, and just asked for hot water at breakfast. Should I do that on Oceania, or is the coffee drinkable? I'm not a coffee fanatic who needs to drink it all day, but I do like a good cup or two at breakfast.

We buy and grind very high quality coffee at home and

find the coffee on all the Oceania ships excellent, it is not dishwater as one gets in many places.

Cappuccino and lattes are also always available. I don't think you need bring coffee.:)

Aside from coffee being delivered to your room, I am a early riser and there is coffee 24 hours outside of the terrace cafe. Following a workout at the gym, I walk directly upstairs to the Viking Lounge for more coffee and occasionally a pastry:eek:. Coffee there is available around 0630. The coffee is pretty good. Enjoy your trip!!!!!

Aside from coffee being delivered to your room, I am a early riser and there is coffee 24 hours outside of the terrace cafe. Following a workout at the gym, I walk directly upstairs to the Viking Lounge for more coffee and occasionally a pastry:eek:. Coffee there is available around 0630. The coffee is pretty good. Enjoy your trip!!!!!

Where is the Viking Lounge:D

We like good coffee & yes it is good on O not like the stuff they call coffee on Princess

It depends on who makes it whether it is bitter or not

We use the machine IN the Terrace on the Starboard side at the self serve station

Horizons have coffee they make fresh at the bar

All that said I read in the Pillars of Distinction blurb they are changing to ILLY coffee ...I have not tried that brand so hope it is good

Lyn

We like good coffee & yes it is good on O not like the stuff they call coffee on Princess

All that said I read in the Pillars of Distinction blurb they are changing to ILLY coffee ...I have not tried that brand so hope it is good

Lyn

Illy is one of our favorites when we can get it. It's Italian and, if made right, strong and very flavorful!:)

Illy is one of our favorites when we can get it. It's Italian and, if made right, strong and very flavorful!:)

I didn't know they had coffee plantations in Italy :D (just pulling your leg, orchestrapal - it is good coffee)

Thanks

We may have had it someplace & did not really know ;)

Looking forward to trying it onboard Marina

Lyn

Thanks

We may have had it someplace & did not really know ;)

Looking forward to trying it onboard Marina

Lyn

All over Europe you see their red signs with white ILLY and many places have their cups which are white with red ILLY. We actually had some today in a museum cafe in London.:)

I ordered some (red top) from Amazon to try at home. I am a fussy coffee drinker and hope it will be as good if not better than what we had on Regatta last January (I was very happy with that). There seem to be several places on Marina that coffee will be available. I wonder if that will the the company for all the venues plus room service?

All over Europe you see their red signs with white ILLY and many places have their cups which are white with red ILLY. We actually had some today in a museum cafe in London.:)

I have seen it in many places.

When it comes to coffee when we are out & about DH is blinded by the pastries in the windows so we just never pay attention what brand of coffee they serve.

We had a great cup of Cappuccino in Dinan this summer along with the pastry ;)

Lyn

Can you comment further on why you do not think so?

On the current ships I think they use LAVAZZA everywhere onboard

Lyn

Celebrity Cruise Line used to use ILLY in their specialty coffee shops (extra charge). This brand of coffee is usually used only for expresso-type drinks, and will probably be the brand for the coffee bar on Marina, and possibly at other stations where there are expresso machines. Reasons why not throughout the ship, (1.) it is full-flavored and strong, and does not appeal to many people, ( 2.) Cost, it is more expensive.

Celebrity Cruise Line used to use ILLY in their specialty coffee shops (extra charge). This brand of coffee is usually used only for expresso-type drinks, and will probably be the brand for the coffee bar on Marina, and possibly at other stations where there are expresso machines. Reasons why not throughout the ship, (1.) it is full-flavored and strong, and does not appeal to many people, ( 2.) Cost, it is more expensive.

"Over 6 million cups of illy espresso coffee are enjoyed every day. illy is sold in over 140 countries around the world."

I guess it appeals to more folk than you may think! :)

Yes many people do not like stronger coffee so could be a problem

2) cost does not seem to be a problem with O ;)

I guess we will wait and see only 3 months to go for us :D

Lyn

Just checked & they do make a medium grind for drip machines as well

http://www.illy.com/wps/wcm/connect/us/illy/at-home/brewed-coffee/

Lyn

Just checked & they do make a medium grind for drip machines as well

http://www.illy.com/wps/wcm/connect/us/illy/at-home/brewed-coffee/

Lyn

I ordered the medium whole bean (named Normale), there is also the dark and de-caf in the whole bean. I wonder if there is a difference in the auto drip and whole bean in terms of taste? I don't care for really strong coffee either, so i hope the medium will be medium :)

Lynne

In the morning at the Terrace Cafe I usually order cafe con leche/cafe au lait, basically wanting 1/2 coffee and 1/2 hot milk. I used to order a cappucino at breakfast but I switched to cafe con leche because the cappucino coffee was too strong for my taste buds, and I was adding more sugar to it! The decaf American-style coffee I have after dinner is unremarkable in my memory, probably because I am very focused on the yummy desserts at dinner. :) (BTW, I always ask that my coffee be served with my dessert, which I want, or else it will be served after dessert is consumed.)

I look forward to trying the new brand of coffee on Marina.

Archived