Flat screen tv's on pacific pearl

kiwi sailor

Here is an extract from a press release that has just come out.

"In keeping with the cruise line’s family focus, extra berths will be added to create more family-friendly four-berth staterooms, while every room will have a new flat panel TV fitted, along with quality bed linen, duvets and cushions and wi-fi accessibility."

sounds good - what is a "duvet" lol. I heard it in John Healds Blog but never heard it used before...

That is the English term for a doona. I have only ever heard pommies refer to it as a duvet (pronounced doo-vey).

You probably knew that anyway but were just joking. :D:D

That is the English term for a doona. I have only ever heard pommies refer to it as a duvet (pronounced doo-vey).

You probably knew that anyway but were just joking. :D:D

I thought kiwis called it a duvet...........can one of the NZers confirm that for us?

I think all P&O ships have flat screen tv's now.

I also like the idea of wifi because it means when you want to use internet late at night you don't have to walk down to the hot spots to use it you can use it from the safety from your room.

Even though i don't take a laptop i would now consider it next time i cruise on a ship that has it every room.

I thought kiwis called it a duvet...........can one of the NZers confirm that for us?

I think all P&O ships have flat screen tv's now.

Yes, it's a duvet in all English speaking parts of the world, except Australia where it's a doona !:D Although having said that, I've seen them called a duvet in David Jones stores. :)

I have never heard of a duvet I don't think i could ever call it that it sounds so strange but then again you guys probably think doona sounds weird.

It is strange how different words are used they are also used around different states in Australia to example "kebab"

there is a different word for it but i don't know what it is had a debate with some one over it one day.

du·vet

noun

a style of comforter, often filled with down, having a slipcover and used in place of a top sheet and blankets

du·vet

noun

A quilt, usually with a washable cover, that may be used in place of a bedspread and top sheet.

Origin: French, down, from Old French, alteration of dumet, diminutive of dum, dun, from Old Norse dūnn.

World English Dictionary

duvet (ˈduːveɪ)

— n

1. another name for continental quilt

2. Also called: duvet jacket a down-filled jacket used esp by mountaineers

[C18: from French, from earlier dumet, from Old French dum down ²]

Definition

1.The word "duvet" comes from French; it means "down," or the fine, fluffy feathers of birds such as geese and eider ducks.

Current Usage

2.In English, "duvet" usually refers to a comforter filled with either down or polyester batting. A "duvet cover" is like a giant pillowcase for the duvet.

Function

3.A duvet's function is the same as that of other types of blanket---to keep you warm in bed. However, a duvet is usually used with a duvet cover instead of a top sheet (as a comforter is).

Types

4.Duvets are made with different types of down, or batting made from polyester, cotton, or silk. You can also choose the loft (thickness) and baffle construction that you prefer.

Benefits

5.Using a duvet without a top sheet or bedspread means it is easier to make the bed in the morning. The duvet cover comes off for easy washing; the duvet itself only needs to be washed once a year.

Read more: What Is the Meaning of Duvet? | eHow.com

I have never heard of a duvet I don't think i could ever call it that it sounds so strange but then again you guys probably think doona sounds weird.

It is strange how different words are used they are also used around different states in Australia to example "kebab"

there is a different word for it but i don't know what it is had a debate with some one over it one day.

Shawarma or yiros. Like Devon/poloney/fritz . Crazy country, Australia

du·vet

noun

a style of comforter, often filled with down, having a slipcover and used in place of a top sheet and blankets

du·vet

noun

A quilt, usually with a washable cover, that may be used in place of a bedspread and top sheet.

Origin: French, down, from Old French, alteration of dumet, diminutive of dum, dun, from Old Norse dūnn.

World English Dictionary

duvet (ˈduːveɪ)

— n

1. another name for continental quilt

2. Also called: duvet jacket a down-filled jacket used esp by mountaineers

[C18: from French, from earlier dumet, from Old French dum down ²]

Definition

1.The word "duvet" comes from French; it means "down," or the fine, fluffy feathers of birds such as geese and eider ducks.

Current Usage

2.In English, "duvet" usually refers to a comforter filled with either down or polyester batting. A "duvet cover" is like a giant pillowcase for the duvet.

Function

3.A duvet's function is the same as that of other types of blanket---to keep you warm in bed. However, a duvet is usually used with a duvet cover instead of a top sheet (as a comforter is).

Types

4.Duvets are made with different types of down, or batting made from polyester, cotton, or silk. You can also choose the loft (thickness) and baffle construction that you prefer.

Benefits

5.Using a duvet without a top sheet or bedspread means it is easier to make the bed in the morning. The duvet cover comes off for easy washing; the duvet itself only needs to be washed once a year.

Read more: What Is the Meaning of Duvet? | eHow.com

Oh how I hate not having that top sheet any more on the ships, you get too hot with the quilt (or duvet) on so you kick it off, then you get cold so you pull it back up, and so the battle rages all night! now I ask for a top sheet to be put on my bed as soon as I see my room steward, plus it just do'snt seem like the bed is made properly without the top sheet!....just my opinion anyway. Robin:):)

Oh how I hate not having that top sheet any more on the ships, you get too hot with the quilt (or duvet) on so you kick it off, then you get cold so you pull it back up, and so the battle rages all night! now I ask for a top sheet to be put on my bed as soon as I see my room steward, plus it just do'snt seem like the bed is made properly without the top sheet!....just my opinion anyway. Robin:):)

in the suites and mini suites on P&O you still have a top sheet, and if they do not have one we ask ank and then recieve. all good

I agree with you Robin, must have a top sheet :)

Doona, Duvet, continental quilt (in Adelaide).

Lynda

I agree with you Robin, must have a top sheet :)

Doona, Duvet, continental quilt (in Adelaide).

Lynda

I agree too. On the Pacific Dawn we always have a top sheet.

We stayed at a motel in the UK a while back and they had no top sheep, but changed the doona cover every day. I think it's far easier to change the sheets than the doona cover. :cool:

I agree too. On the Pacific Dawn we always have a top sheet.

We stayed at a motel in the UK a while back and they had no top sheep, but changed the doona cover every day. I think it's far easier to change the sheets than the doona cover. :cool:

Don't suppose any of you Kiwi's want to comment on what a "top sheep" means :confused:

Archived