Star is sucking right now!!

M & V of Land

The one nighter out of San Pedro on the Star is not starting on the right foot. We are currently delayed 3 hours from boarding. It took them an hour and half to tell us it's a customs problem. We currently have this ship booked for Alaska cruise. Right this minute we are truly considering canceling and going back to RCCL.*

We better be compensated for this inconvenience. Jeezzz I just looked up and this terminal is packed with standing room only now. *

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Get it out of your head otherwise it will ruin your cruise. Remember that most passengers are not aware of many behind the scenes issues with customs. You cannot blame boarding on a cruise line. They are not the ones that slow the boarding process so it is sort of unfair to blame them.

You will get on board and get the stress behind you. Custom delays can happen at any port on any ship or any cruise line.

The Star is a great ship. Enjoy but Star cannot be blamed for slow custom issues.

Enjoy and keep us posted. We all know the excitment of getting on board and it does suck if things get slowed down.

Since you don't even get 24 hours on the ship to begin with, I can see how frustrating it would be! I wonder how they could even compensate for something like that. Especially if it is custom's fault.

If I were there I would take you right to lunch and buy you my favorite cocktail on the Star, a double Grey Goose Bloody Mary!

Yeah we are waiting in that line too! If I knew how to post a picture here, I would. The staff doesn't know what's going on. They keep asking each other why they're not boarding yet! The nice thing is that they brought out sandwiches for us. We went to the little store next to the ship and have been eating crackers and muffins. Overall its not a tragedy, but it sure is an inconvenience.

The one nighter out of San Pedro on the Star is not starting on the right foot. We are currently delayed 3 hours from boarding. It took them an hour and half to tell us it's a customs problem. We currently have this ship booked for Alaska cruise. Right this minute we are truly considering canceling and going back to RCCL.*

We better be compensated for this inconvenience. Jeezzz I just looked up and this terminal is packed with standing room only now. *

Figured I would get flamed. Just surprised it didn't come sooner. It is total chaos trying to board right now.*

The PA system in the terminal is broken and everyone is PACKED bunch. *

Frustrating yes, but between customs and the PA system being broke, these still are not ship or NCL specific problems. Too bad these delays are happening, but don't judge NCL or the ship based on this. In fact, I wouldn't even use a one day cruise to no where as judgement on a ship. They are a completely different experience to a 7 day.

last time i was on the STAR we were almost 3 hrs late leaving port, but it wa a 2 week cruise,--and delays are always happening UNFORTUNATELY-- i can see how FRUSTRATING it is to 'eat' up your sailing time...i hope the next hrs you have some FUN!!

How disappointing. I know that I would be very aggravated and I would not believe anyone who would say they wouldn't be.

I don't see anyone saying that they wouldn't be aggravated - I know I would. I wouldn't blame NCL for a Customs issue and expect compensation, however.

I was just talking the other day about missing a flight once because I was being 'interviewed' by customs. Apparently they didn't think a 37 year old woman could be working on a master's degree in math. They went through all my bags and then questioned me about my studies. I wish they'd done the questioning first, though, since after about two minutes of combinatorial matrix theory, their eyes just glazed over and they believed me. ha ha ha My point is that it was not the airline that caused me to be late or to miss my connecting flight - just as a delay caused by customs at a pier is not NCL's fault.

If it was a customs problem did it occur to you they may not have wanted to share this. You have no idea what the problem was, and why do you think you should be comensated?

Of course anyone would be frustrated if it happened to them, but I can't imagine judging an entire line on an experience they may not have been anyone's fault.

I am sure the cruise line is pretty upset as well, They are dealing with cruisers who are unhappy, they are losing money and they realize many will judge them on this experience alone. As someone said, you only have one chance to make a good first impression.

I have a gut feeling you will return to RCI cause I can't imagine why NCL would compensate you for a 3 hour delay?

Nita

In June of 2010 we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale on Celebrity. We had to be out of our room by 9am and expected to be off the ship about 10am. At 9:15 the annoucement came that they had lost power in the terminal and customs was getting backed up. We sat in the library until 12:45 and it was almost 2pm before we got to the car. There's no one to blame and you just have to roll with what life throws at you.

I just arrived this morning on the Star, and we got to the dock at the announced arrival time of 8am, but Customs delayed the debarkation for a long time and I am sure several people missed flights because of it. We were some of the last ones to leave the ship, and we passed a couple hundred in the non-US line still waiting to be cleared. It was after noon when we left the ship, and normally everybody is off and gone by 10 or 10:30am. Ray Carr was apologizing for the delay but couldn't do anything about it because Customs was playing games.

In June of 2010 we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale on Celebrity. We had to be out of our room by 9am and expected to be off the ship about 10am. At 9:15 the annoucement came that they had lost power in the terminal and customs was getting backed up. We sat in the library until 12:45 and it was almost 2pm before we got to the car. There's no one to blame and you just have to roll with what life throws at you.

I'd much rather but stuck on the ship then to be stuck in the terminal for hours waiting to board. Especially when I paid a couple hundred bucks and have less then 24 hours on the ship to begin with.:eek:

Bill

I'd much rather but stuck on the ship then to be stuck in the terminal for hours waiting to board. Especially when I paid a couple hundred bucks and have less then 24 hours on the ship to begin with.:eek:

Bill

I hope we hear from some of the pax. I was very close to taking this cruise myself! I wonder if the suite guests had it any better.

I just arrived this morning on the Star, and we got to the dock at the announced arrival time of 8am, but Customs delayed the debarkation for a long time and I am sure several people missed flights because of it. We were some of the last ones to leave the ship, and we passed a couple hundred in the non-US line still waiting to be cleared. It was after noon when we left the ship, and normally everybody is off and gone by 10 or 10:30am. Ray Carr was apologizing for the delay but couldn't do anything about it because Customs was playing games.

Seriously, I doubt that customs was "playing games".

Sounds more like someone needs to take responsibilty and admit what happened to cause the delay.

Maybe is was customs problem, maybe it was NCL's - but to say customs was playing games is simply a very unprofessional comment. Now, if was ture and customs was "playing games", what ever that might mean, I think NCL shoulld address the Port Autority to resolve the customs issue and then make a public statement as to what happened. (I know this concept of candid open policy is very unlikely).

Seriously, I doubt that customs was "playing games".

Sounds more like someone needs to take responsibilty and admit what happened to cause the delay.

Maybe is was customs problem, maybe it was NCL's - but to say customs was playing games is simply a very unprofessional comment. Now, if was ture and customs was "playing games", what ever that might mean, I think NCL shoulld address the Port Autority to resolve the customs issue and then make a public statement as to what happened. (I know this concept of candid open policy is very unlikely).

Perhaps you could use your appparent influence to obtain a statement from Customs to support your position. Good luck !!

Archived