Swimming on Embarkation Day

SingleFatherofDD

I can't believe I am writing this post at 2:15 in the morning. However, I couldn't fall asleep so I decided to spend some time on Cruise Critic. In 39 days my DD and I will go on our second cruise together. This one however, will be the first cruise we have to fly to. Our first cruise was out of New York so we didn't have to worry about flying. I have been sailing since I was 5 years old so I know that the pool is usually open on the first day. My DD is a fish and if she sees a pool and it is open she will want to go in. There is one problem that I have noticed before I adopted her and also on our last cruise is that the cabins and luggage is not ready when you arrive early. Sometimes the luggage doesn't arrive until late, like when the ship is leaving. During our summer cruise I had DD who was 4 1/2 at the time wear her swim suit under her clothes, but now we have a 3 hour flight before we get to Florida plus it is usually cold in New York. The flight we are taking leaves at 7:00 so we will leave for the airport around 4:30.

I have heard that it is bad for little girls to wear their swim suits for that long of time. I am just wondering if that is true? Also I am looking for some opinions of what I could do. Should I have her put her swim suit on when she gets dressed for the day and treat it like her under clothes or should I care it in our carry ons? I just want her to enjoy her first day on the cruise and not have the option to swim.

Thanks in advance. I am learning how to raise a DD every day. I wish they came with instruction booklets.

Yeah, swimsuit material usually isn't the best to be wearing all day under clothes -- not as breathable as cotton, etc., and could cause problems down there.

Another reason to carry the swimsuits on is that even though the air temperature might not be bad, they're pretty much guaranteed to have re-filled the pools on embarkation day and the water hasn't always warmed up yet in winter. Sometimes it's COLD. If you pack the suit in the carryon, you can check the temperature of the water before committing to suggesting a swim ... if it's freezing, you can redirect to some other activity a lot more easily if she doesn't already have the suit on.

I always wear my swimsuit (under my clothes!), so that I can hit the pool first thing....when cruising from a warm-weather port.

If your cabin isn't ready, you don't want to be changing in the public restrooms...too cramped.

Just put her suit on under a light sundress or shorts...it's no big deal! there will be towels on the pool deck.

My son who is 4 1/2 and also a fish always wants to jump right in the pool first thing too! I just stuff his suit in my carry on or back pack it's pretty small.

Last time we boarded in Miami the pool wasn't quite filled yet but we distracted him with a hot dog fries and ice cream and by the time we were done eating the pool was all set!!

CONGRATULATIONS from one adoptive parent to another!!!!!! Happy National Adoption Day (it was yesterday):D:D:D

I always wear my swimsuit (under my clothes!), so that I can hit the pool first thing....when cruising from a warm-weather port.

If your cabin isn't ready, you don't want to be changing in the public restrooms...too cramped.

Just put her suit on under a light sundress or shorts...it's no big deal! there will be towels on the pool deck.

A little girl's bathing suit will hardly take up any space at all. I would carry it rather than have her wear it all day. This would not be comfortable IMO.

A little girl can not leave New York in the winter wearing a little sundress or shorts, she will freeze! Plus, wearing a bathing suit under her clothing on the airplane is going to make it very difficult if she needs to use the restroom on the airplane.

To the OP, I would just pack her bathing suit in your carryon and change once you get on the ship. You should have access to your cabin sometime after 1pm so you will be able to get her changed then. If not, many a little child has been change in a quiet corner of the pool deck hidden by a pool towel. Just make it a game with you holding a curtain around her, she can pull her things off and get in her suit as best she can. Once she is almost there, you can then help her with all the final adjustments.

Have a great cruise!:)

Maybe you could put her in a two piece bathing suit. Cover the top with a t-shirt and sweater (or whatever), and wear normal underwear under her pants on the plane. Then, hit a bathroom once you get on the ship and switch to the bathingsuit bottom. You will have a ready-made change of clothes with you to switch back into once swimming is done.

We were able to change in our staterooms on our last cruise. By the time we got on the ship (and we had boarding group #2), walked through the ship a bit and had lunch in the Windjammer, the staterooms were open and we could go and change there. We packed all our swim attire in carry on bags. No need to change in a bathroom! By the time we got back from our swim (in a relatively empty pool, which was great!), our bags were in the staterooms!

Thanks to all who have responded. You all have great ideas. I guess the best bet for my DD is to wear her regular clothes and carry her bathing suit in her carry on. It seems that if my cabin isn't ready there are places for her to change. Also if we were staying over before the cruise it would have been easier. I dressed my DD in a sun dress with her bathing suit underneath when we traveled on our first cruise together this summer. However, this was easier because we live 45 minutes from the pier and it was the middle of the summer. Now we are leaving from the cold and I won't put her in a light dress.

If anyone else has some ideas I would be very happy to hear your opinions. Thanks again.

When we went in May my daughter was 5 1/2 and I also packed a cheap pair of "swimmies" for her. She can swim but not really strong and she was so much more comfortable being able to just hang with her older sister and new friends while not worrying about hanging on to the sides all the time. Her smile when I pulled them out of the pool bag.....priceless!

1. Don't forget to pack your swim trunks in your carry-on too so you can swim with her that day!

2. Pack an emergency change of clothes in a gallon sized zip lock bag for the flight. Murphy's law states if you don't she will spill her sprite all over her outfit during the first 5 minutes of having a drink. Having it in a ziplock bag comes in handy for storing the soiled items in your bag.

3. Also make sure the emergency clothes are good for the cruise just in case your luggage takes a scenic detour.

4. Remember to check the almighty weather gods (weather channel) before flying out that morning. It might be chilly in FL. Warn DD that there is a chance it might be cold and she won't be able to swim. (Depending on the ship it might have a covered swimming area)

5. If you haven't flown with your child before dress her in layers. Temps can vary greatly on an airplane. Also make sure she wears socks and easy to slip on and off shoes for security. Also remember you can not take drinks with you through security. Just pick up one after the security stop at the local vending machines. (Much cheaper than the gift shop!) Plus buying something before you hop on a plane for kids is very exciting. They love the gift shops! :)

Just got out of my morning surgeries and thought about checking in on Cruise Critic. RoadTrip it is funny that you mentioned about the possibility of little accidents. When we went on out first trip together, which was to Atlanta for a conference, DD had to use the restroom when you can't on a plane. Luckily she was able to hold it until we were, but it was getting real close to that time if you know. The odd thing is that I had her use the restroom before we got on the plane.

We were going to be leaving a few days before the cruise because the weather gods don't behave up her in the North when you want them to. However, my mom is having her knee replaced so that threw a wrench into the plans. Hopefully the weather will be good enough that we will be able to go down and meet the ship.

I surprised her with the news about this cruise on her birthday. Since then she can't keep quite about it. From the first cruise I could tell that she would be hooked on cruising. She loves the children's club but she also likes being with her dad.

Have to get back to work. Thanks everyone

Just got out of my morning surgeries and thought about checking in on Cruise Critic. RoadTrip it is funny that you mentioned about the possibility of little accidents. When we went on out first trip together, which was to Atlanta for a conference, DD had to use the restroom when you can't on a plane. Luckily she was able to hold it until we were, but it was getting real close to that time if you know. The odd thing is that I had her use the restroom before we got on the plane.

We were going to be leaving a few days before the cruise because the weather gods don't behave up her in the North when you want them to. However, my mom is having her knee replaced so that threw a wrench into the plans. Hopefully the weather will be good enough that we will be able to go down and meet the ship.

I surprised her with the news about this cruise on her birthday. Since then she can't keep quite about it. From the first cruise I could tell that she would be hooked on cruising. She loves the children's club but she also likes being with her dad.

Have to get back to work. Thanks everyone

Just a FYI, I always make my kids use the bathroom before boarding (in case we get stuck on the runway) AND before when they start landing procedures (since you are usually stuck in your seat for at least 1/2 hour, and the gate might have another plane still there). I see nothing wrong with wearing a bathing suit under clothing (my kids live in bathing suits all summer), and mine only wear 2 pieces (easier bathrooming).

If you are not taking off or landing I have had flight attendents work with me when we've had an urgent restroom situation. As long as it's not a time of danger (bad turbulance or something like that) they are pretty flexible. They would much rather have you take your daughter than have to clean up a mess. :)

Another vote for a carryon filled with swim clothes :D

--swim suit

--SMALL sun block (under 4oz -- don't forget the security check in at air ports)

--flip flops

--cover up or sun dress

--undies (in case she wants the swim suit off before the muster)

No towel, it will be available on the ship at the pool

Have another great cruise! Which ship are you on this time? HAL?

Anywhere hot we always travel with swimsuits in our carry-ons...... I have to fly a lot for business and once traveled with a bladder infection, which I mentoned as I boarded....the attendents were very quick to bend the "do not get up from your seat till pilots has turned off the seat belt sign" rule for me......I imagine that a small child would have the same lee-way :)

Crusinmama,

We are going on HAL again. This is a line that I have been brought up on since I was DD age. I have over 220 days on HAL before they started adding days for money spent on the ship. DD doesn't know better. However, this summer we are going to try Carnival again. I have had mixed feelings about Carnival each time I sail on her. Sometimes it is good and sometimes they are bad. It is hit or miss. This will be my fourth time sailing on the Noordam. It is my favorite ship of the present HAL fleet. The bad thing is that I don't have a Verandah. My parents usually paid for the Verandah but because they aren't going I am getting an inside cabin.

I just have one problem with some of your recommendations about asking the flight attendant for help. DD is still very hesitant about being around strangers she doesn't know. She will never have a flight attendant help her. I would need to go with her to the bathroom. This is something that we are working with. Luckily DD has a good control for a girl her age, but as you know with kids things can happen.

DD is very tall for her age. At her last physical she was in the 95% for her height. I get those weird looks from other parents especially the mom when I take her to the restroom with me. The problem is I feel she is too young plus she is very clingy when she is in public. If there is a family restroom we use that but some of the places we go don't have it.

However, when she is in the kids club she is completely different. She is a very out going girl. I wish she could be like that all the time. But she is a past that is very scared. We are working on to put that behind us.

She is my gift. I am happy I have a forum to talk to people. Between work and taking care of DD it is hard to get out. However, I still try. We all need a break from time to time.

This will be my fourth time sailing on the Noordam. It is my favorite ship of the present HAL fleet. The bad thing is that I don't have a Verandah. My parents usually paid for the Verandah but because they aren't going I am getting an inside cabin.

Don't forget to share your thoughts about the cruise after the sailing with the Family Board. :D I know you did after your 1st cruise with her. Would love to see how she likes this one. :)

Don't worry I will share our thoughts with the family board. I can't promise it will be as insightful as the one you did on your last cruise. However, I will sure tell you how she liked it. Then the question is when to surprise her about her next cruise. I can bet you will know how upset she will be when it is time for her to get off the ship.

I just have one problem with some of your recommendations about asking the flight attendant for help. DD is still very hesitant about being around strangers she doesn't know. She will never have a flight attendant help her. I would need to go with her to the bathroom. This is something that we are working with. Luckily DD has a good control for a girl her age, but as you know with kids things can happen.

DD is very tall for her age. At her last physical she was in the 95% for her height. I get those weird looks from other parents especially the mom when I take her to the restroom with me. The problem is I feel she is too young plus she is very clingy when she is in public. If there is a family restroom we use that but some of the places we go don't have it.

However, when she is in the kids club she is completely different. She is a very out going girl. I wish she could be like that all the time. But she is a past that is very scared. We are working on to put that behind us.

She is my gift. I am happy I have a forum to talk to people. Between work and taking care of DD it is hard to get out. However, I still try. We all need a break from time to time.

Oh I wouldn't ask a flight attendent to HELP my child use the facilities. I would do that. I'm just saying they might be more understanding about you getting up to take a small child to the bathroom. If it isn't dangerous they tend to be forgiving with small kids or sick adults. :)

I am extremely sorry to bring this this post up to the front again, but something was on my mind for a few days after reading "reallyitsmema" post. I even asked some of the parents or my DD's about what she mentioned. It seems that some parents will change their children out in the open. I know the are little children and girls look like boys mostly at this age but, when I was little I never remember being changed in public. It could have happened but I don't remember.

The parents I talked to gave examples of when they were at the beach and would change at the beach so the children wouldn't have to have sand on them. I never thought of that. The times I took DD to the beach I just brushed most of the sand off until we got back on the boat or home. I am so confused. Just need some clarification.

Sorry if this is off topic, but I want the best for my DD.

I am extremely sorry to bring this this post up to the front again, but something was on my mind for a few days after reading "reallyitsmema" post. I even asked some of the parents or my DD's about what she mentioned. It seems that some parents will change their children out in the open. I know the are little children and girls look like boys mostly at this age but, when I was little I never remember being changed in public. It could have happened but I don't remember.

The parents I talked to gave examples of when they were at the beach and would change at the beach so the children wouldn't have to have sand on them. I never thought of that. The times I took DD to the beach I just brushed most of the sand off until we got back on the boat or home. I am so confused. Just need some clarification.

Sorry if this is off topic, but I want the best for my DD.

I have slipped my children out of wet suits into dry clothes in the relative open before, but they were more like 2-3. By 4-5, they're more aware (though not completely) of modesty, etc., and I'd find a restroom/locker room to change them, or just do as you said and brush them off until we could get to an appropriate changing facility.

Archived