Zaandam - Hawaii - proof of citizenship

DAllenTCY

Yes the Hawaiian Islands are part of the United States; however, you must have either a passport or certified birth certificate (not a hospital issued one) and photo ID in order to board in San Diego.

It always happens that guests arrive without either required form of proof of citizenship.

A military ID is not sufficient, nor is a photocopy of your passport or BC, nor a baby's footprint and congrats from a hospital for your newborn.

It makes me sad to see nice people denied boarding....this week there were 16-18 people!

Yes, they can meet the ship 5 days down the road, but it will cost plenty to fly to Hilo, not to mention meals and hotels for a few days. It doesn't matter whether you will be visiting Ensenada, Mexico....or not. You can't choose to stay onboard. Once you are 3 miles offshore, you are in international waters.

Please read your paperwork....bring your passport...or certified BC.

David

P.S. And please be civil when you are told that you have been denied boarding because you didn't comply.

I don't believe they can fly to Hawaii and join the ship either. That would violate the Passenger Vessel Service Act, since it is a foreign flagged ship transporting someone from one U.S. port to another without stopping in a distant foreign port.

I don't believe they can fly to Hawaii and join the ship either. That would violate the Passenger Vessel Service Act, since it is a foreign flagged ship transporting someone from one U.S. port to another without stopping in a distant foreign port.

the ship stop in Ensenada on the way home and that then is the foreign port?

I can't understand how a person would be able to book a cabin and get a boarding pass to Hawaii from any country, [other than from the lower 48 and Alaska] without a valid passport number.

john

I do not understand how they cld get it lower 48 or Alaska to Hawaii anyway, since it wld be required??

the ship stop in Ensenada on the way home and that then is the foreign port?

That's fine for going/returning to the same US port. However Ensenada is not a "far" foreign port, which is required if you are getting on in one US port and returning to another, which would be the case if someone flew to Hawaii if they missed the ship. I believe Aruba is one of the ports in the Caribbean that counts as a "far" foreign port.

Yes, flying to Hawaii and meeting the ship in Hilo is an option. However, there's a fine to be paid - either by the ship or by the passenger. Denied passengers are told this when given their options.

Also keep in mind that cruise insurance will not cover denied boarding under these circumstances (not bringing proper documents).

If one does not want to get a passport and wants to go to Hawaii, there is an opiton.

Fly to Hawaii but do not cruise there. If you want to cruise there is a ship registered in the U.S that just cruises from port to port in Hawaii. Howver, the law requires that any ship is NOT registered in the US and flies under a foreign flag (like all HAL ships) must make a stop in a foriegn port and all pax are required to have a passport.

cruisecrasy--That is the only reason they stop in Ensenada,Mexico--it is a foreign port and they must have one foreign port according to the Act.

I suggested this qualified as the foreign port and it does but only if as BrFan & AllanAllyn suggests, the pax leaves from & returns to the same US port, so it wln't qualify in this case.. :)

That's fine for going/returning to the same US port. However Ensenada is not a "far" foreign port, which is required if you are getting on in one US port and returning to another, which would be the case if someone flew to Hawaii if they missed the ship. I believe Aruba is one of the ports in the Caribbean that counts as a "far" foreign port.

Thanks, the light bulb finally went off :).. Different US ports - of course!

Shame for folks then that don't have their passports but 'shucks' hasn't there been enough press about getting one...and aren't the TAs pushing folks about them? I know mine does everytime I book just in case my passport might be within the 6 mos of expiring while I am away also..?

Sure wld/cld prove costly NOT to get one or get it renewed...

Have happy cruisin' :)

Yes the Hawaiian Islands are part of the United States; however, you must have either a passport or certified birth certificate (not a hospital issued one) and photo ID in order to board in San Diego.

It always happens that guests arrive without either required form of proof of citizenship.

A military ID is not sufficient, nor is a photocopy of your passport or BC, nor a baby's footprint and congrats from a hospital for your newborn.

It makes me sad to see nice people denied boarding....this week there were 16-18 people!

Yes, they can meet the ship 5 days down the road, but it will cost plenty to fly to Hilo, not to mention meals and hotels for a few days. It doesn't matter whether you will be visiting Ensenada, Mexico....or not. You can't choose to stay onboard. Once you are 3 miles offshore, you are in international waters.

Please read your paperwork....bring your passport...or certified BC.

David

P.S. And please be civil when you are told that you have been denied boarding because you didn't comply.

I feel bad that these folk's vacation didn't start out great. I wonder if they booked themselves or if their TA didn't tell/remind them, and who did the online check in?

I am terrified of forgetting/losing my passport. I've heard of people that "know" where their passport is, but when they go to get it, it's not there! :eek: I keep checking every couple of days to make sure mine is really where I saw it last in the file cabinet, and then when I put it in my purse (hopefully I won't chnage purses!) I check again before I get in the car. I'll probably check one more time while I'm in the car, too! I would be bawling if I were denied boarding, but I wouldn't blame the cruise line... I KNOW I need my passport (or certified BC).

I feel bad that these folk's vacation didn't start out great. I wonder if they booked themselves or if their TA didn't tell/remind them, and who did the online check in?

Many people say their travel agent told them all they needed was a driver's license. :(

Archived