Seven Seas Navigator in Dunedin, (Port Chalmers) Today

Kiwi_cruiser

I wonder why they don't always berth cruise ships there? Suppose it depends what is available at the time and being a working wharf I guess work must come first.

I think it might be because of the depth of water there, as I have only seen smaller ships dock there.

I think it looks awful too.

From memory, the ' Athena' had some similiar modification to try to stop it rolling so much.

The P/sun also has a large box piece welded on the stern, like to find out if it was built that way or later modified.

The addition to Pacific Sun was done around the time of her conversion from Jubilee to Pacific Sun and transfer to P&O Australia. I was told at the time that the modification was to do change the ship's centre of balance, because of the increased weight caused by the changes made in the conversion, and increased passenger capacity resulting from the addtional berths added. Pacific Star had a similar change as well, although that job was done very badly.

I wonder why they don't always berth cruise ships there? Suppose it depends what is available at the time and being a working wharf I guess work must come first.

Seven Seas Navigator is a fairly small and intimate ship, so she could use that wharf. Clipper Odyssey used to dock there as well when she was coming here. The bigger cruise ships have to use the usual container dock.

The addition to Pacific Sun was done around the time of her conversion from Jubilee to Pacific Sun and transfer to P&O Australia. I was told at the time that the modification was to do change the ship's centre of balance, because of the increased weight caused by the changes made in the conversion, and increased passenger capacity resulting from the addtional berths added. Pacific Star had a similar change as well, although that job was done very badly.

Thanks Skyrules, interesting info.:)

It's interesting to note how they have dealt with this issue on Pacific Sun's sister ships. Grand Celebration appears to have had no stern modification and Grand Holiday has a fin arrangement.

Hmmmm!...........My photo of Pacific Dawn at Port Chalmers last Feb. Just look how the wind is blowing the flag straight out. It's the same on the Pacific Dawn photos several posts back, I notice. Very strange if there was no wind.

ResizeofSDC10133.jpg

nice photo Sandie very well taken.:D

Flags are Designed to wave in the slightest of breeze thats becuase of the materials they are made off.

Accroding to the Beaufort Scale 12 km per hr will make a flag unfurl and fly as it should be flying

27navwelly.jpg

They are in windy Wellington today, but have struck a glorious day with no cloud cover and no wind.

Perfect conditions to have a great day in a great city.

You can get a better view of the ducktail addition from this angle.

Doesnt look so bad from this shot.

Archived