Seven Seas Navigator in Dunedin, (Port Chalmers) Today

Kiwi_cruiser

Interesting with the ship to note the new "skirt" that has been added to the stern.

I think it looks ugly.

The Seven Seas Navigator has always had a vibration problem, and it was added , to try and reduce the vibrations.

do you know if it worked or not?

I have no idea.

Some reports from passengers say it does and others say they can still feel the vibrations.

She did not start out life as a cruise ship..

Wikipedia reference.

Seven Seas Navigator is a cruise ship for Regent Seven Seas Cruises. The vessel entered service for Radisson Seven Seas Cruises in 1999. She is built for the luxury market. Ninety percent of her cabins have their own private verandas. She has no sister ships. The Hull was constructed by former USSR (Russia) as an ice class naval support vessel. The hull was purchased by RSSC and the super structure was finished by Mariotti Yards, Italy.

I have no idea.

Some reports from passengers say it does and others say they can still feel the vibrations.

She did not start out life as a cruise ship..

Wikipedia reference.

Seven Seas Navigator is a cruise ship for Regent Seven Seas Cruises. The vessel entered service for Radisson Seven Seas Cruises in 1999. She is built for the luxury market. Ninety percent of her cabins have their own private verandas. She has no sister ships. The Hull was constructed by former USSR (Russia) as an ice class naval support vessel. The hull was purchased by RSSC and the super structure was finished by Mariotti Yards, Italy.

very interesting info thank you

No Livingstone, no terminal. Last Feb there was a big empty shed where the bus drove in and Customs Officers checked us on the way back. That's all. There are railway lines where the train that goes to Taeiri Gorge comes in. Think it's mainly a working port and not geared to cruise ships. Port Chalmers was very windy and there was not much to see there - we had a walk around after our tour, but it was so windy we just had an ice cream and struggled back to the ship. :)

the port looks basic, no terminal?
Hi Livingstone, Sandie and i were on the same cruise but we didnt find it windy at all, but it was cold and a very nice place. as you may see in these photo's

Picture781-2-1.jpg?t=1290677434Picture935.jpg?t=1290677579

Picture916.jpg?t=1290677622Picture925.jpg?t=1290677725

Picture932.jpg?t=1290677755Picture760.jpg?t=1290677796

If I said it was raining, Steve would say it was sunny! (I don't think anyone could care less, Steve! But if it makes you happy, go ahead.)

Dunedin was lovely and not overly windy, but after lunch when DH and I went for a walk into Port Chalmers we were both struggling against the wind and the main street of the Port was like a wind tunnel. On the other hand, we were just about blown back to the ship, which was a help.

We are not big-built people, maybe that's why we felt the wind so much. ;)

For reference, the terminal/shed is behind where it says "Shuttle buses" in Thied's first photo, or in the middle of the last one of that group.

It's a nice working port, but is a fair distance from Dunedin proper. Convenience is underrated!

For reference, the terminal/shed is behind where it says "Shuttle buses" in Thied's first photo, or in the middle of the last one of that group.

It's a nice working port, but is a fair distance from Dunedin proper. Convenience is underrated!

Yes it a very nice clean and as you said (but is a fair distance from Dunedin proper. Convenience is underrated!) we enjoyed it in the aspect of workings and nz has a lot of them all clean tidy and working and all very close to the main towns.

Interesting with the ship to note the new "skirt" that has been added to the stern.

I think it looks ugly.

The Seven Seas Navigator has always had a vibration problem, and it was added , to try and reduce the vibrations.

I think it looks awful too.

From memory, the ' Athena' had some similiar modification to try to stop it rolling so much.

The P/sun also has a large box piece welded on the stern, like to find out if it was built that way or later modified.

Yes, it looked very tidy and efficiently run. I didn't have a problem with there being no terminal, our objective being to see places in Dunedin. Our only problem was that it was very windy walking along the main street and along the wharf. We truly were bent over going from the ship to the shed, but in the more sheltered parts it was OK. We looked upon it as an adventure anyway - our first port of call in NZ. (Can't wait until we go again.)

Caught them sailing away....

25nav1-1.jpg

25nav2.jpg

Great capture Kiwi Kruzer :D

the port looks basic, no terminal?

Only Auckland and Wellington have cruise terminals, Port Chalmers (Dunedin) & Lyttelton (Christchurch) the ships dock at the Container Terminal, the rest of the Ports (Tauranga, Napier and Picton) the ships dock at a general cargo wharf.

People can walk of the ships in Auckland, Wellington and Tauranga, you need to take a shuttle bus to leave the port in Napier, Christchurch and Picton.

For Port Chalmers (Dunedin), I think you may been able to walk out of the port, but I am not 100% sure as when we where there me and mum got out of the bus at the check point (We had to any way as the check point guy could not get in the bus as the bus was full) to go up to the lookout and there was 2 ship in that day.

For Port Chalmers (Dunedin), I think you may been able to walk out of the port, but I am not 100% sure as when we where there me and mum got out of the bus at the check point (We had to any way as the check point guy could not get in the bus as the bus was full) to go up to the lookout and there was 2 ship in that day.

Yes you can walk out at Port Chalmers, as we did in the afternoon. Is there a lookout at Port Chalmers? We walked up as far as the church but couldn't find a way to get in - I think there must be a road around the other side. I must have a look on Google Earth.

Yes you can walk out at Port Chalmers, as we did in the afternoon.

Thanks Sandielle :)

Is there a lookout at Port Chalmers? We walked up as far as the church but couldn't find a way to get in - I think there must be a road around the other side. I must have a look on Google Earth.

Yep, I will see if I can post some pics of it soon.

The only thing is its a bit of a walk!! (up a hill), but its worth it!

In Lyttleton today..

Heres a shot from the Lyttleton Port Cam. They usually berth on the outer wharf amongst all the containers , but Navigator has been berthed at Wharf No 2 which will give much easier access into the village.

26nav1.jpg

I wonder why they don't always berth cruise ships there? Suppose it depends what is available at the time and being a working wharf I guess work must come first.

Yep, I will see if I can post some pics of it soon.

The only thing is its a bit of a walk!! (up a hill), but its worth it!

Thanks Kiwi C.

Archived