Tried "Your Time" dining on the Dream 11/20 - NEVER AGAIN! (Chef's Art letdown also)

Tom-n-Cheryl

This post will likely not "go down" well with all who read it. It simply relates a couple of events which need to be aired!

We just got off the Dream this morning. Having completed close to 50 Carnival sailings, this was our first experience with YOUR TIME dining. We have always had early (with 1-2 exceptions).

On this sailing, since we had 4 nights booked in the Steakhouse (Chef's Art) and 1 night at the Chef's Table (EXCELLENT), that left us with only two nights in the MDR so we decided instead of having a table set aside for us in the MDR which would sit empty for 5 of 7 nights, that we would go with YTD.

Our first night in the MDR (Crimson, deck 4) was on the second night of the cruise. That was the first "Cruise Elegant" night, so on went my tux. I was apparently the only one, in that dining room at least, who felt "elegant" might imply a tux. This thread though is NOT about that! - back to the main topic... That evening we arrived at 7 PM and were immediately seated at a reasonably private table for two. Good service, food and wine made for a nice dinner.

Our second night trying the YTD was last night (final night of the cruise). We arrived at 6:50 with a chilled bottle of wine and was told that we would need to wait. I asked for an estimate of how long the wait would be and was told 20 minutes. We were given a beeper/pager and proceeded to wait in a nearby room. After 25 minutes had passed, I headed back into the dining room and asked the hostess if she could put our bottle of wine on ice, as it was warming up. She took the bottle and assured us they would keep it cold. After appx. 45-50 minutes we were seated. This time our table was not quite as "choice". It was a two topper perhaps 10" away from an adjacent two topper. How Carnival, and many other land based restaurants, can justify calling such a set up a "table for two" is beyond me! :rolleyes: At any rate, this meant that any conversation above a whisper would be heard by your unintended "table mates". However in that dining room a whisper across the table would not be heard by Cheryl thanks to the the level of background noise. I could hear the piped in symphony music over the crowd, and thought how out of place that music seemed given what was going on all around. Cut off jeans, sweat pants, baseball caps on (backwards no less). The 5 topper to my right with 2 kids crawling all over the place was a source of "amusement" for us... as they (finally) left their ~4 year old grabbed the cork in our wine bottle and started fiddling with it. This was new territory to me, fortunately the father quickly told him to "git yer paws off that son". NUFF SAID about that! The concept of YTD is great, but they simply don't have enough tables to meet the demand... or really what they don't have is enough able bodies to work the room. The waiters were keeping very busy, bringing small trays of different courses from the dining room all the time. There were NUMEROUS tables which were left uncleared for too long: the 5 person table behind Cheryl (which appeared to be crowded even for 4!) was vacant/dirty when we were seated, and remained that way for FORTY FIVE minutes! As I said, it was not the only one - several could be seen. NO WONDER people had long waits! At one point we observed the hostess and Maitre d' himself setting the tables.

Libby, a fellow CC'er we met onboard, was also waiting that evening for a table. She reported to us that she had experienced long wait times the entire week - no matter what time they arrived. One hour was not uncommon, and once it was TWO HOURS of wait time before being seated - and that was for a party of only 3 people! That, my friends, is unacceptable. Carnival for years has been steadily stretching their employees thinner and thinner. More and more tables for waiters... more and more cabins for stewards. Well, in my opinion - in the case of the Dream at least, they have passed a tipping point. They need to remedy this right now, especially in the YTD rooms, or risk pissing many people off. We have experienced the equivalent of YTD on Celebrity (Solstice) and never waited more than a minute or so... more like "come right this way". There the host and others were in constant communication with earpieces and it was all handled very efficiently... impressive. Before you say "well, you pay more for that" - let it be known that we picked the Solstice over the Dream to take our son and 3 friends on for an "end of the school year" trip this summer because (but not limited to, LOL) we could get the 4 boys in a balcony cabin on the Solstice for slightly LESS than the fare for them in an INSIDE on the Dream for that date! LINK to the details! ;)

OK - so enough about the failed YTD experience. We will not try that again on Carnival... EVER!

Now to another observation of diminished dining experiences: Chef's Art - Each evening when we were there we witnessed multiple dropped dishes, waitresses chatting and giggling with each often within earshot, poor timed table service: on our first THREE nights in there, they would bring our entree and then it would be 3-5 minutes while we sat there and waited for our butter (for lobster), sauces (for the steaks), and side dishes (mashed potatoes, vegetables, etc). On that third night I pointed it out to them in no uncertain terms that if that was intentional, as it apparently was due to the consistency of this practice, that it was in no way acceptable. Our food was literally getting cold as we waited on these items which should come in relatively rapid succession to one another. We have enjoyed the Supper Clubs (sorry, STEAKHOUSE :rolleyes:) on many ships - probably over 30 times - and know how it used to be. First we lose the live music, then the quality of service suffers a slow decline (which was readily apparent on this sailing). Is there no longer any formal training of the staff - proper etiquette and protocol? Or are they just trained by the current staff as they are moved up in the ranks to this position... which will slowly lead to the steady decline we witnessed?

The selection on the menu and the quality of food served there is GREAT - don't let the service drop like this though and still tout the Steakhouse as a "Five Star experience" (which is what they do). Sorry, that is NOT 5-star dining - to promote it as such implies that they either don't know what "5-star" is, or assume that their guests are not aware enough to know the difference. Either way, bad move!

Our friend Don (DGP1111), another Milestone guest who we shared a meal with up there on the 2nd "elegant" night (Thanksgiving), had planned to dine there (made reservations well in advance of the cruise) on the last night as a solo guest. He does this on EVERY sailing he goes on where there is a Steakhouse - to have the peace and refined experience which is (was) their trademark. Well, he arrived there last night at his confirmed time only to be told that they tried to contact him earlier in the day and combine his reservation with two others... at the same table. Well, they did not successfully reach him, and went ahead and made the change. They did not have a table for him, unless he could wait (30-40 minutes?). WOW, to change your reservation is such a way without your consent. Well, you figure out what the heck is going on there, because I sure can't!! :mad:

Carnival - sometimes attempts to SAVE $ comes back to bite you. WISE UP, you can still be a multi-billion dollar corporation without cutting service in this way! We, and others, are what helped you become what you are - don't pull the rug out from under our feet! :confused: You still have a lot going for you, so plow forward in these uncertain times and make sure that you are not shortchanging the guests in attempts to appease some bean counters!

BTW - the floor in the bathroom floods almost EVERY time someone takes a shower, no matter how careful one is with the curtain and position of the shower head... it wasted an additional full size towel each time a shower was taken to sop it up.... get right on that! ;)

Tom

I had it on Princess twice .. anytime dining isnt my choice either .. I knew that so havent tried it on Carnival who luckily doesnt make you have it when traditional fills up. We were stuck with it on Princess.

I agree with you .. and I havent tried it yet!! :D

Guess we'll continue to stick with early dinning in MDR. We weren't very impressed with The Dream to begin with, so I can understand your frustration. We'll be on The Valor next Saturday, so I'll be interested to see if service has continued to slip on CCL, and we're pretty easy to please.

That is nice to know. We were thinking of trying YTD. We always go with assigned seating. I think I will take your advice. Thank you.

Keep in mind that there are many on here who LOVE YTD. Perhaps on some ships they do it right... not sure. I just know that I am not going to "chance" it again. FOOD/DINING is one of the MAIN reasons we enjoy cruising!!

Tom

Guess we'll continue to stick with early dinning in MDR. We weren't very impressed with The Dream to begin with, so I can understand your frustration. We'll be on The Valor next Saturday, so I'll be interested to see if service has continued to slip on CCL, and we're pretty easy to please.

This was our third trip on the Dream. While they made a few nice changes (in this new class of ship), I REALLY do not care for the Dream class! That they are building at least two more does not put a smile on my face... though given the # of guests that they can squeeze on there, my guess is that corporate likes 'em just fine!

Tom

This was our third trip on the Dream. While they made a few nice changes (in this new class of ship), I REALLY do not care for the Dream class! That they are building at least two more does not put a smile on my face... though given the # of guests that they can squeeze on there, my guess is that corporate likes 'em just fine!

Tom

Curious Tom I remember awhile back you were going on the Solstice and wondering how that experience was compared to the Dream. We are considering a TA on the Solstice.

Curious Tom I remember awhile back you were going on the Solstice and wondering how that experience was compared to the Dream. We are considering a TA on the Solstice.

Would also be interested. We're booked on Celebrity Equinox in March for a change from CCL and because we like 11-12 day cruises too.

The Solstice is the most beautiful ship we have ever been on. I look forward to sailing on the Solstice again - or any in her class!

Tom

YOu better duck...cause some here will take honest personal observations and experiences as a direct insult to them and their ancestors and future generations...you would think they were the founder of Carnival himself the way they take it so personally

the fact is that service seems to be on a real decline....the waiters are overworked and my last (unhappy) cruise on Destiny it seemed as if the assistants were "shared"

I had lots of the same problems....ie, asking for lemons over and over and not getting them....asked for a 2nd lobster tail (these were small) and some at my table got them yet my surly waiter slapped one down between me and another gal and told us to "share"

worst was the sauce for the "bitter and blanc">> they didn't bring it and I kept asking...an assistant picked up a used container and poured a little over my dessert..which I then did not eat...yuck

horrible horrible service...2 nights I had no rolls....was told once that "time to order" when I asked for rolls...like shut up and order

2x I didn't get coffee...

Your experience in the steakhouse is just unacceptable. I really think that they are cutting back to where the service ruins the food....the food is still pretty good but not if it is cold or not the way you wanted it cooked, or

if they forget or ignore the dressings/sauces for it

still people here may blame YOU for the problems :confused:

Wow Tom, your experience in the 'Steakhouse' pretty much mirrors our experience in the Sun King last year on the Freedom!! It really is a disappointment when your expectations are set so high, and lack of finesse and class muddies it.. I can totally empathize with you on that!

I noticed on the Miracle that YTD's usually flocked in at the early seating time..it would make more sense to me to show up closer to 7pmish...thats my plan anyway when I try it with my mother on the Inspiration in March!

YOu better duck...cause some here will take honest personal observations and experiences as a direct insult to them and their ancestors and future generations...you would think they were the founder of Carnival himself the way they take it so personally

still people here may blame YOU for the problems :confused:

LOL, Yep!

I will add that in both the MDR and Chef's Art there seemed a disconnect between the servers. While it is nice to have someone offer you bread (and you decline), why then would 2 different people then want to offer it to you? It should be ONE person who takes care of that so that you are not "bothered" with the same question over and over. Not a biggie, and I understand that they are all just trying to make sure that you are not overlooked, but it appears that some element of the chain is broken.

One morning at breakfast Cheryl asked for some cream for her coffee. The waiter went right to the newly emptied table next to us and took the creamer from amongst the dirty dishes and placed in our our table. This a a small little open top container. How do we know how clean it is? What if some kid said "look at me" while they drank from the spout earlier? :eek:

** They can tout their PERFECT score on the U.S.P.H. inspections, but as Don pointed out during our sailing - that is a behind the scenes inspection. All elements of food safety are "up in the air" once poorly trained people are plugged into the picture! ***

Tom

Tom, so sorry to hear of your failed dining experiences...what a frustration!:( We had YTD on the Miracle and it was great, so maybe the size of the ship makes a difference? Starting to sound like that from reading some of the other posts here. I have yet to try the Steakhouse...maybe I want to keep waiting;)

Esty, any of us who have been on the boards for awhile know Tom and know that he doesn't post nonsense, so unlikely that he will get flamed much. And not for nothing, but you have continued to post the details of your cruise all over the place here...it's like deja vu (all over again):rolleyes:

Wow Tom, your experience in the 'Steakhouse' pretty much mirrors our experience in the Sun King last year on the Freedom!! It really is a disappointment when your expectations are set so high, and lack of finesse and class muddies it.. I can totally empathize with you on that!

I noticed on the Miracle that YTD's usually flocked in at the early seating time..it would make more sense to me to show up closer to 7pmish...thats my plan anyway when I try it with my mother on the Inspiration in March!

hmmmm, you may want to go early the 1st nite and see how it plays out. When we were on the Miracle out of NY, we were fine if we got there by 6:45...after that the line grew rapidly. Guess it depends on the pax and maybe the itinerary:confused:

You had a bad experience and that's too bad. It happens, unfortunately, and I don't blame you for being pissed. Everyone needs to do what they are comfortable with and had the best experience with. We have done Anytime Dining several times, including the Dream and never waited or had a bad experience. We had a party of 10 and never had a problem. That was our experience with Anytime Dining; we will do it again on the Miracle. I appreciate your sharing your bad experience and hope to heaven we never have that happen to us. I would be angry as well and would most likely write a letter to Carnival with my concerns. Perhaps if enough people with poor service write Carnival they may make some changes. Even if they don't make changes writing a letter may make you feel like you at least TRIED to be heard.

You had a bad experience and that's too bad. It happens, unfortunately, and I don't blame you for being pissed. Everyone needs to do what they are comfortable with and had the best experience with. We have done Anytime Dining several times, including the Dream and never waited or had a bad experience. We had a party of 10 and never had a problem. That was our experience with Anytime Dining; we will do it again on the Miracle. I appreciate your sharing your bad experience and hope to heaven we never have that happen to us. I would be angry as well and would most likely write a letter to Carnival with my concerns. Perhaps if enough people with poor service write Carnival they may make some changes. Even if they don't make changes writing a letter may make you feel like you at least TRIED to be heard.

I appreciate your understanding. I am pleased that you have had good YTD experiences. I suppose it can run the gamut!

I will end up with a letter to CCL... again! ;)

:)

Tom

We alway use anytime dining. We love to be able to change our schedule as we want. We have not experienced a wait more than ten minutes. We do expect a wait because we know there are times (like just after a show) that is real busy. We also found out on the Spirit that we could request a waiter. It is great that Those who want traditional can have it and those who prefer anytime can have it. If you don't like it, then don't use it (traditional or anytime).

We alway use anytime dining. We love to be able to change our schedule as we want. We have not experienced a wait more than ten minutes. ...

I had to chuckle when I read that (not AT you, mind you)!

About 10 minutes into our wait, after hearing the conversation between us and Libby, a woman nearby piped up and said "each night they tell me that my wait will not be more than 10 minutes - and it hasn't been", she said with a smile! She was happily in conversation with other people there as well. After about 30 minutes I noticed that she was STILL waiting. Looking closer, I noticed that she DOES NOT WEAR A WATCH! ;)

Ignorance is bliss! :D (again, referring to HER, and not you foodcruiser)!

Tom

Tom, would you mind if I sent a link to your original post to one of the folks I know in Miami?

Absolutely not a problem Mach - my goal is not sinister in nature here, but rather how can they "fix" a problem that they are not aware of?

Thanks,

Tom

OP, thanks for your honest review. You only need one bad experience to vow never to try that or go there again. I would have also been annoyed or beyond annoyed by these experiences. I did have a good experience with YTD the one time I had a chance which was on the Freedom recently, but others likely have not had a good experience. I will say this for or against YTD, that while I always got my table/wait team, I did always arrive by 6.15 pm at the latest, and as great as they were, the service was more often than not, quite slow. I only eat 3 courses. app,main, and dessert, and yet it took usually one and a half hours, to do this. I would also not have appreciated that experience you had with Chef's Art. Again thanks for sharing your experience.:)

Archived