Malaria in Caribbean

Somerset Cruiser

I would check online or talk to your local health centre as I can't think this is correct info.

Maybe if you were staying there for any length of time, but a few hours and not venturing far from the ship?

I've just paid for 16 Malarone tabs for going to Africa. They cost £45. They are the good ones with no or little side effects.

Caryl

Think carefully before embarking on a malaria course of pills. You have to take them for 2 weeks before leaving an 4 weeks afterwards. If you are only going somewhere for one day, cover yourself in repellent and forget the pills. Most of the islands are malaria free and if it is dengue fever (a type of malaria) the pills are no good. Better not to get bitten.

Think carefully before embarking on a malaria course of pills. You have to take them for 2 weeks before leaving an 4 weeks afterwards. If you are only going somewhere for one day, cover yourself in repellent and forget the pills. Most of the islands are malaria free and if it is dengue fever (a type of malaria) the pills are no good. Better not to get bitten.

Dengue fever is NOT a type of malaria. Dengue fever is a virus infection, malaria is caused by parasites. The only connection between the two is that they are both spread by (different species of) mosquitos.

Think carefully before embarking on a malaria course of pills. You have to take them for 2 weeks before leaving an 4 weeks afterwards. If you are only going somewhere for one day, cover yourself in repellent and forget the pills.

This depends on the type of pills... (Malarone is 2 days before and 2 weeks after the above info is for doxycycline...)There is no need to take them in the Carribean unless you are planning on wading thru the swamps in The Dominican Republic or going of the beaten track in Haiti... The risk is extremely low. And the likelihood is that you'll be sticking to the coast...

Speak to your travel nurse at your surgery but the general advice from our surgery is not really needed... especially for a 'flying visit' as you would do on a cruise... Just get some fly repellent with DEET in it or that 'Avon skin cream stuff' that seems to be the best fly repellent known to man!!:D

Blitz

(A GP)

• 2 weeks later...
Just been told by the TA that we need Malaria tablets when we go in February, not sure which island it is for but my guess is Dominica or St Lucia.

I have done two caribbean cruises and gone to both of these places, but did not need malaria tablets. Did the Panama Canal cruise too and didn't need them for this one either. I am very sensitive to being bitten (I carry an epipen as I am allergic to wasps and other things), and never had any problems in the caribbean. as soemone else has said, Avon skin so soft body oil spray is s good deterent too.

Useful to make sure that you are up to date with your tetanus injection.

Enjoy your cruise.

We have been to the Caribbean many times, including Dominica and St. Lucia, and never were advised to take precautions against malaria, after speakng to our GP.

The risks during daylight hours ashore is negligable if you take precautions in Dominica, St. Lucia is no problem, and far less than the side effects which you might encounter by long term use.

We did not even take anti malaria medication on a world cruise after consultation with our GP and the minimal proabability of being infected in short stays in various ports of call and having to take the medication over 3 months, just in case.

Just been told by the TA that we need Malaria tablets when we go in February, not sure which island it is for but my guess is Dominica or St Lucia.

We have been many times to the Caribbean and have never needed malaria tablets. We just make sure our Tetanus, Hep A & Typhoid Fever are up to date, to cover everything and any of those last minute cruises!!

Regards Chris

Archived