Passenger charged for releasing anchor of moving ship.....

bajathree

Couldn't dropping anchor when the ship is at cruising speed cause a lot of damage? Also, I must admit I am SHOCKED that just any jerk can, one, get near an anchor and, two, know how to drop it. Also I thought it actually took a lot of time to drop an anchor. I didn't dream it was a simple push button or move lever operation.

Thank heavens this drunken act did not result in damage or injury.

Couldn't dropping anchor when the ship is at cruising speed cause a lot of damage? Also, I must admit I am SHOCKED that just any jerk can, one, get near an anchor and, two, know how to drop it. Also I thought it actually took a lot of time to drop an anchor. I didn't dream it was a simple push button or move lever operation.

Thank heavens this drunken act did not result in damage or injury.

My thoughts exactly. With all of the security on these ships, how could this moron get anywhere near the anchor!

That's exactly what I thought.....how can anyone get into the area where the anchor is. Where is security when you need them?

I would hate to find out what else this drunk is capable of when he has too much to drink! :eek:

Never been on Holland Am., but the ships I have been on have not had security guarding every door. Occasionally, I have seen doors to crew only areas left open. I suppose it is possible that the door/gate was left open or unlocked by a careless crewman or it was open in preparation for arrival in a port.

It is interesting that he stopped to put on the gloves -- certainly indicates some degree of intent and planning. I am curious as to why the captain threatened and then conducted a muster to find him. Had the security cams given a good enough look at him they could ID him in a line up? Can you imagine going through a couple of thousand passengers looking for one guy? I wonder how fast the ship was going at the time. All in all, glad I was not aboard.

I am curious as to why the captain threatened and then conducted a muster to find him. Had the security cams given a good enough look at him they could ID him in a line up? Can you imagine going through a couple of thousand passengers looking for one guy? I wonder how fast the ship was going at the time. All in all, glad I was not aboard.

I believe the muster was called because of the deployment of the life bouy that occurred around the same time as the anchor drop. Since someone threw it over the crew needed to determine if anyones life was in danger or if someone went overboard. Granted it took two hours to make that decision but I do not fault the Captain for being able to defend his actions. Think what would have happened if he did nothing and the deployment of the life bouy was indeed a result of a person overboard and had nothing to do with the anchor drop?

Mike

The one account says he was "in formal night attire" which having cruised on HA before I assume is a tux. Kind of a funny picture, drunk guy in a tux and work gloves stumbling around wreaking havoc. Also kind of funny that he feels his 50 foot boat and anchor are similar to the cruise ship. Goes to show that even the more "elite" lines deal with drunken jackwagons, they're just better dressed:D Glad that all turned out safe and that he was apprehended. Take care, Jim

I agree with you there. HAL has to be a little red in the face over this.

Doesn't matter what line it happened to. Lives were endangered.

That's the bottom line. Throw the book at him.

IMHO there's got to be more to this story than what's first apparent.

Just goes to show the sad state of the world we live in. Obviously

HAL security planning never envisioned that one happening. Somebody didn't follow proper procedures in securing that area of the ship.

Don't accuse HAL. As far as being redfaced RCI had a murder happen onboard. Where was RCI security on that one?

Doesn't matter what line it happened to. Lives were endangered.

That's the bottom line. Throw the book at him.

IMHO there's got to be more to this story than what's first apparent.

Just goes to show the sad state of the world we live in. Obviously

HAL security planning never envisioned that one happening. Somebody didn't follow proper procedures in securing that area of the ship.

Don't accuse HAL. As far as being redfaced RCI had a murder happen onboard. Where was RCI security on that one?

Whoa and back up the horse dude. I never accused HAL. I made the statement that HAL must be a little red in the face over the incident. IT DID happen on HAL.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My point is, if the crew doesn't follow the proper security procedures it could happen anywhere on any line.

There are idiots on every ship willing to cause trouble. If someone got into the bridge I'd be surprised if not every button has a failsafe check on it.

FYI I outgrew "dude" status about 30 years ago.

My point is, if the crew doesn't follow the proper security procedures it could happen anywhere on any line.

There are idiots on every ship willing to cause trouble. If someone got into the bridge I'd be surprised if not every button has a failsafe check on it.

FYI I outgrew "dude" status about 30 years ago.

Fine, it can happen on any line but it happened this time on HAL which is why I stated that in my post and no where did I mention that it was funny.

My thoughts exactly. With all of the security on these ships, how could this moron get anywhere near the anchor!

I was wondering the exact same thing. And the reports say he dropped the anchor at like 5:30 and tossed the life ring over at nearly 6am, I would think the bridge would have noticed the anchor getting dropped, what too them so long to investigate???

Just shaking my head here.

Sounds pretty dangerous, but many murderers or rapists don't get 2 decades. I'm guessing he won't be trying that little trick again!

I'm guessing the same. Also murder and rapes (sadly) are not federal felonies typically and are prosecuted as municipality/state felonies. Federal offenses almost always get much more strict punishment. In addition a murder (as bad as it is) is a crime against 1 person vs this is a crime against over 1,000. As stated, if they hadn't been so lucky they could have possibly had the ship sunk. I'm not so sure how quickly it would have sunk, and I guess that depends on how bad the damage would have been.

And who's drunk at 5:25 am?! Are the bars open 24-hours? :confused: And now he's facing possibly 20 years in jail! :eek: But could you imagine if it did damage the boat?! Yikes!

A couple of years ago, I was on a ship and was highly intoxicated at that time. I also didnt go looking for any anchors to drop though. ;)

Archived